• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

have i mentioned that i hate you? ;) that looks fantastic. I have a dozen natos, but no leather natos.

There are leather NATOs and then there are leather NATOs...

There is a very nice version from Time Traveler which is Kangaroo tail - the tail has a really unusual grain/texture/feel that's like a cross between pebbled leather, lizard and regular veg-tanned leather. Very nice. And unusual enough to indulge your inner special flower. :devil:

Cordovan NATOs are rubbish IMO. The cordovan is often way too thick, will be hell to get into the limited space between case and springbar on your Ex-I, cause the watch to stand off your wrist in an odd unattractive way, and finally will overwhelm the watch when folded back at the end of the strap.

Most sellers try to overcome the thickness by making the NATO hardware "stand" higher off the strap, which is pretty rubbish looking IMO - you own NATO straps, I think you know what I'm talking about.

This is the Tenzing Explorer I strap was rambling on about earlier:

Finally consider as well a plain black cordovan strap with contrast cream stitching - if your Ex-I is an older one (i.e. 14270 or earlier) the cream stitching will bring out the ageing tritium in a very nice way. Keeping in mind what Kap said earlier - there are many different versions out there, but IMO the Gabarro version is the nicest as the stitches are just the right size.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks pretty good! Buffalo? Source? (Does the watermark say 'watchband-shop'? If so I can't seem to find this one on their site...)

Normally I wouldn't have considered a strap with rivets, but I guess it does fit nicely with a flieger.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That looks pretty good! Buffalo? Source? (Does the watermark say 'watchband-shop'? If so I can't seem to find this one on their site...)
Normally I wouldn't have considered a strap with rivets, but I guess it does fit nicely with a flieger.

Yep - http://www.watchband-shop.com/Watch-strap-Genuine-water-buffalo-vintage-brown

Cheap too!

Apropos of nothing, felt like sharing a photo of my old Navi with a new mesh bracelet. I think I prefer it to the original bracelet, which is very nice but a little... shiny.

Last edited:

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a single watch I can wear in the pool/river/ocean but still wear with jacket/tie. Realized this while on vacation.
Omega Aqua Terra mid size 38.5mm seems to fit my wrist well and I like the idea of the 8500 coaxial. Would want to get some straps for non-sport.
Anyone wear theirs on a strap?

Can't believe how much Omega cost now and the connection to 007 is silly but not enough to dissuade me.
Any others in the range I should consider? Not keen on desk diving. Thanks.

Last edited:

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking for a single watch I can wear in the pool/river/ocean but still wear with jacket/tie. Realized this while on vacation.
Omega Aqua Terra mid size 38.5mm seems to fit my wrist well and I like the idea of the 8500 coaxial. Would want to get some straps for non-sport.
Anyone wear theirs on a strap?

Can't believe how much Omega cost now and the connection to 007 is silly but not enough to dissuade me.
Any others in the range I should consider? Not keen on desk diving. Thanks.

The Omega AT is very nice but IMO a little safe/boring. Too many (larger) ATs floating around as well IMO. It looks nice on a strap with the traditional combination being a sporty looking mid-dark brown gator with a white contrast stitch.

Sporty but OK with a jacket/tie in a modern context?

Off the top of my head, in what I think your budget range is - Zenith Captain central seconds, Habring Doppel 2.0 (grey dial), Baume et Mercier Capeland Flyback, Longines Conquest Heritage, or (just because I love it) the new Jack Heuer 80 edition.

:slayer:

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I am debating selling off my JLC Master Control, and I think I am going to spring for one of the following:

Either the GO PML:

Or, conversely, the JLC MUT Moon:

The other alternative is potentially to keep the JLC Master Control, and then perhaps pick up a Rolex No Date Sub.

All three options have been swimming around my head for the past week or so, and I am at something of an impasse. It makes the most sense to me to sell the JLC MC and pick up the JLC MUT Moon. I would like a MUT Moon, and just do not see the point of owning a MC and a MUT Moon. On the other hand... the GO PML is such a beautiful watch, and it has always pulled at the heartstrings. However, recent wristshots of it have been a bit of a let down, and I wonder if I will always simply wish it was a Lange.

Decisions, decisions. Anyone have any thoughts (Dino, I have a feeling I can pin yours :D).

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Off the top of my head, in what I think your budget range is - Zenith Captain central seconds, Habring Doppel 2.0 (grey dial), Baume et Mercier Capeland Flyback, Longines Conquest Heritage, or (just because I love it) the new Jack Heuer 80 edition.
:slayer:

Yeah Aqua Terra is a bit boring and standard issue.

I'll look at the Capitan and actually the Dual Time in person (like everything but the bracelet in pics).
Unaware of Habring, will read up. Capeland is 44mm so no go.
Longines was also on the map but I only saw the Heritage Chrono in person. I'd want a bracelet for sweat/water so Conquest Heritage might not work.
Thanks.

Last edited:

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah Aqua Terra is a bit boring and standard issue.
I'll look at the Capitan and actually the Dual Time in person (like everything but the bracelet in pics).
Unaware of Habring, will read up. Capeland is 44mm so no go.
Longines was also on the map but I only saw the Heritage Chrono in person. I'd want a bracelet for sweat/water so Conquest Heritage might not work.
Thanks.

Oops, sorry about the Capeland size.

Another few recommendations after I did a bit of thinking - there are worse ways to spend a lazy Saturday afternoon...

- Breitling Montbrillant 01 - non-douchey Breitling with a good history and a decent in-house movement, looks fantastic on a sports leather strap or bracelet

- Sinn 356 Pilot - nice watch in a good size, the Sinn bracelet is very nice too

- Nomos Club Automat - the included cordovan strap is waterproof and wears well with moisture

- Junghans Chronoscope on the Junghans mesh bracelet - completely left-field but fulfils your requirements with plenty of $$$ to spare... whatever you lose in terms of brand recognition you IMO make up in design

So, I am debating selling off my JLC Master Control, and I think I am going to spring for one of the following:
Either the GO PML:

The other alternative is potentially to keep the JLC Master Control, and then perhaps pick up a Rolex No Date Sub.
All three options have been swimming around my head for the past week or so, and I am at something of an impasse. It makes the most sense to me to sell the JLC MC and pick up the JLC MUT Moon. I would like a MUT Moon, and just do not see the point of owning a MC and a MUT Moon. On the other hand... the GO PML is such a beautiful watch, and it has always pulled at the heartstrings. However, recent wristshots of it have been a bit of a let down, and I wonder if I will always simply wish it was a Lange.
Decisions, decisions. Anyone have any thoughts (Dino, I have a feeling I can pin yours :D).

1. avoid ugly fat sister of Lange 1
2. exchange MC for MUT Moon (IMO PG > SS) or Master RDM (preferable)
3. save for 5513
4. get 5513
5. done!

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Either the GO PML:

Long been a grail watch of mine. That prick Socal had one, and I think GDL had one, but that was it. Sadly, Glashutte gets little love around here.

ant702

Reaction score

Long been a grail watch of mine. That prick Socal had one, and I think GDL had one, but that was it. Sadly, Glashutte gets little love around here.
Oh boy! You guys are getting into Breguet territory! Whos rich? Raise your hands
shog[1].gif

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, that's pretty sharp. I never warmed to the leather NATO but that looks quite nice. Beautiful image. Do you have an image that shows the strap a bit clearer?[...]

Thanks! How about these?

dsc9518001.jpg

dsc9516001.jpg

Leather NATOs are a bit of an acquired taste. They don't suit every watch, but I like them on pilot's watches; in fact, I prefer them for looks and comfort to the nylon variety for airplane-ey models.

I don' t like any type of leather strap on a diver's watch, though. Same deal with a gold case or chronograph function on a diver's model — cognitive dissonance.

johanm

Reaction score

Either the GO PML:

I tried the 40mm PML recently and was very impressed. The dial has much more personality and detail than I had thought based on Michael Sandler's sterile photography on TZ. Actually I thought in person it had more character than the Lange 1, which I would not have predicted from pics (though I didn't see the Lange 1 with blue hands, which I understand is pretty rare). My one reservation is that it's a little awkward trying to tell time from it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads