• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't love the new ones. I think it's a good watch at the right price point. I do like @Dino944 suggestion of the oldest 2000 series. Very classy.

Here was mine from years and years ago

Any IWC Aquatimer fans? I don't normally think of them (or JLC) as much for hardcore sports models, but they both have a bit of tradition as such.

Those Deep Seas are pretty hot, mimo...I agree. Probably would prefer the alarm version over the chronograph myself.

robw

Reaction score

As a lesser-known-alternative diver's watch, the Vulcain Nautical Cricket has a lot going for it: legit diving history, unique movement, useful alarm complication, original design...

About the only snag is that it's 42 mm, the same as it was in 1961.

DSC_1368.jpg

It's like the Speedmaster of 300-m-rated watches in that it's visually unchanged almost six decades after its introduction, right down to the plexi crystal. Well, except that Vulcain didn't cheap out on the movement over the years. ;)

Good under the radar choice. It is a little awkward in terms of its functionality but definitely not a Rolex sub.

That said, I don't think I would get one. Just a matter of personal choice. Cool watch though

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Should always take a look at the latest Planet Oceans when lurking in the dive watch waters.

As for the Blancpain: Wish they would downsize the FF as well. Loved the Tribute to the Aqua Lung version they did a few years ago but still 45mm.

With respect to a smaller FF, there is the 43mm bathyscaphe. I actually prefer the looks of this version more. The case is pretty sweet, but the dial may put people off. I think if you can find one for 5-6k, not a bad deal.

Pretty easy to get one of the older 40mm FF. They were generally less than 5k, but I haven't looked at them for a while. The same superb X-71 bracelet as the larger model.

left
IMG_4319_zps0c67cc92.jpg

Last edited:

firenze_rob

Reaction score

As a lesser-known-alternative diver's watch, the Vulcain Nautical Cricket has a lot going for it: legit diving history, unique movement, useful alarm complication, original design...

About the only snag is that it's 42 mm, the same as it was in 1961.

DSC_1368.jpg

It's like the Speedmaster of 300-m-rated watches in that it's visually unchanged almost six decades after its introduction, right down to the plexi crystal. Well, except that Vulcain didn't cheap out on the movement over the years. ;)

Is it true that you can't turn off the alarm? So it would sound at least once a day?

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it true that you can't turn off the alarm? So it would sound at least once a day?

I am not sure if the Vulcain functions the same way, but on my JLC Tribute to DSA, if you wind the alarm crown fully, the alarm will sound at the appointed time (on a 12 hr cadence). You can't turn it off but you just don't have to fully wind it. If you make that mistake once in the middle of the night, you will learn rather quickly. I love my DSA - the alarm function is anachronistic but super charming.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Even if the alarm isn't wound up, at the time the alarm is set, movement of your wrist will make the striker hit the gong.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Lack of crown guards was one of the things that drew me to the AT.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite thread on this forvm; I'm so happy to see that it's still steaming ahead.

I'm contemplating getting a diver. I have a personal connection with swimming, the ocean, and marine life, and have been SCUBA certified some twenty years ago. I don't dive much anymore, so am drawn to wearing a diver (currently wearing a speedy, casually) primarily for the look. I'd like something iconic and classic. Of course, the Sub comes to mind, but I'm not really a Rolex guy, though that is slowly changing with the amount of love being shown to Rolex in this thread and its predecessor. If a Rolex, either Sub, no-date Sub, or Sea Dweller. The other watch I had in mind was the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. A great watch in its own right, but honestly, I can't decide in my own mind if it is the best looking diver or if it is the best looking non-Rolex diver, if that makes sense.

I find myself trying to convince myself about the Blancpain whereas with the Rolex, it just seems so perfect. And if Rolex, other thoughts creep into my mind, like a BLNR, which looks to me identical to the Sub but with the added draw of the bezel color and GMT functionality. Anyway, thoughts on these watches, alternatives, or "becoming a Rolex guy" welcome.

Based on the options in your post I'd definitely go with a no-date Sub, especially if you're going to be a "one watch" guy or if you're only considering one dive watch or similar looking watch for your collection. I'm not a fan of the dates on Rolexs, though it wouldn't keep me from getting one of the models I like, and that's another reason for me. I also think it's the most versatile and most classic Rolex of the ones you've listed. The Fifty Fathoms really doesn't do much for me. To each their own of course and they have a lot of history there.

I've been considering a dive watch for some time now and I have yet to really nail one down that I love. I think there have been some good recommendations here though and a few that I like. The Black Bay looks like a nice watch and I think it's one of the best watches, dive watch or not, that you can get for that kind of money. I also like it in every colorway, but I think if you want to get the best of both Worlds that Black Bay offers then the Black Bay Blue is the best choice. You still get the Heritage styling, but it also passes better than the other two as a modern looking watch.

A couple of other watches mentioned were the JLC options. I only own JLCs, though I'm definitely a fan of other watches and don't buy based on brand name (though some brands speak to me more than others), so keep that in mind. That said another diver that I've really wanted was the Tribute to Deep Sea Alarm. In fact I came very close to purchasing one before the seller got lazy. I think that either the American or the European version is great, though I prefer the latter (I think), and both offer great looking styling if you're into a heritage look. They're also excellent tributes to a great original watch. I actually like the alarm function and would definitely use it. I also think that the dual crowns are unique. From what I understand though the bezel doesn't rotate, so keep that in mind if that might be an issue. Also, as mentioned, I like the Tribute Deep Sea Chronograph. Again, great vintage styling, but if that's not your thing then perhaps the non-Vintage reference.

Another watch I'll throw out there is the Seamaster 300m Master Co-axial. Again, I like the tribute watches and the stainless steel version does a great job of that. Still it's a modern looking watch as well and more so than say the Tribute JLCs. While I like the Spectre edition, I actually prefer the standard reference. And if the polished bits on the bracelet aren't your thing I have heard that Omega can get a polished bracelet. Also like the lack of crown guards.

At the end of the day go with what speaks to you the most. I would just tell you to really take your time. None of the watches you're considering or that have been recommended are going anyway and the more you look into them and actually literally look at them the likelier you'll come to the right decision in the end.

Last edited:

atia2

Reaction score

^
A few elements are nice, but take "Blancpain" off the dial and there's not much to distinguish the overall look from the made-in-China catalogue-component stuff the off-brands that flog their wares on noob-heavy watch forums put out.

Isn't that true of almost all high-end divers, including Rolex?

atia2

Reaction score

Now that I find very stylish. The bezel colour and raised markers defy recent conventions. The dial is simple and clean. The overall look is understated and refined, with a suggestion of heavy industry.

What's the model number?

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that I find very stylish. The bezel colour and raised markers defy recent conventions. The dial is simple and clean. The overall look is understated and refined, with a suggestion of heavy industry.

Looks like the IWC GST Aquatimer 3536. Unfortunately, it's an old model, so I don't think that it is part of IWC's current lineup. From memory, it came in a choice of steel or titanium.

If you like the look of the IWC, you might also like some of Sinn's diving watches:

U1:

U200:

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My favorite thread on this forvm; I'm so happy to see that it's still steaming ahead.
I'm contemplating getting a diver.
I have a personal connection with swimming, the ocean, and marine life, and have been SCUBA certified some twenty years ago. I don't dive much anymore, so am drawn to wearing a diver (currently wearing a speedy, casually) primarily for the look. I'd like something iconic and classic. Of course, the Sub comes to mind, but I'm not really a Rolex guy, though that is slowly changing with the amount of love being shown to Rolex in this thread and its predecessor. If a Rolex, either Sub, no-date Sub, or Sea Dweller. The other watch I had in mind was the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. A great watch in its own right, but honestly, I can't decide in my own mind if it is the best looking diver or if it is the best looking non-Rolex diver, if that makes sense.

I find myself trying to convince myself about the Blancpain whereas with the Rolex, it just seems so perfect. And if Rolex, other thoughts creep into my mind, like a BLNR, which looks to me identical to the Sub but with the added draw of the bezel color and GMT functionality.
Anyway, thoughts on these watches, alternatives, or "becoming a Rolex guy" welcome.

Get the Rolex.

Years ago, I never thought that I'd say that. Unfortunately, there's a lot of propaganda out there about how they're pretty much the same as generic ETA-movement stuff, and all about the marketing.

My discussions with watchmakers that have legitimate expertise and experience to back up their opinions made me realize how much respect Rolex gets from them, and that certain internet experts were way off. They're a company with impeccable manufacturing integrity; they make nearly everything from scratch at their own facilities — the few bits that they don't, such as the handsets, come from their traditional suppliers in Switzerland — and don't use the surprisingly-weak requirements for "Swiss Made" to cut costs with cheap-labour-sourced components.

Being a fully-independent privately-owned manufacture — one that doesn't have grabastic shareholders pressuring them to squeeze out short-term gains at the expense of long-term reputation — is a very rare thing within any industry, especially for a company of their size. As such, they've definitely earned my trust.

You won't find a Chinese-made bracelet on a Submariner, for example. Likewise, you won't find the same finish quality as a $50 ETA movement once you get under the visible plates:

IMG_3151.jpg

image credit: watchguy.co.uk

Despite the number of people who buy Rolex that don't give a crap about anything but the name, they remain a hardcore watchmaker producing high-quality, no-excuses watches that are built to last. They're pretty good at keeping water out, too. :)

Given what you're looking for, I doubt you'd regret choosing one.

Good under the radar choice. It is a little awkward in terms of its functionality but definitely not a Rolex sub.

That said, I don't think I would get one. Just a matter of personal choice. Cool watch though

Thanks; I find that it's fun to wear and certainly different than the typical Sub-a-like stuff out there. It's a nice option to have, especially if there are a few more-conventional watches in the rotation.

Would I choose it as an only diver's watch (or only watch, period) over my Sea-Dweller? Probably not. On the other hand, I don't find it particularly awkward as far as manual-wind watches go; it has a well-thought-out movement, and these Crickets served many people well as a portable and practical everyday alarm before digital watches and mobile phones made them obsolete.

Also, it can be had on the secondary market for about half the price of a Rolex diver's model, and it's one of the very few out there that's comparable in terms of design integrity. The Vulcain even has a bit of its own story in the early days of diving. Being the essentially the same watch that was available in 1961 (except for the radioactive bits) is unique in the industry, as far as I know. And you can still use it underwater today.

The movement doesn't look too shabby, either:

Vulcain_calibre_V_10.jpg

image credit: Vulcain

I think it not only offers good value for money, but that it's also something of a special watch regardless of price.

The alarm can be disabled at any time via the pusher.

I usually leave the alarm spring wound down, which makes it silent except for the period when the alarm would be going off, at which time there can be a bit of rattle from the hammer dealie being free to swing around. A half-press of the pusher silences this, and also stops the alarm from sounding when its spring is wound up. A full press extends the crown into alarm-setting mode, while pulling the crown out normally sets the time. Turn the crown clockwise to wind the alarm spring, and counterclockwise to wind the mainspring.

The only notable quirk is that the time setting is forward-only to prevent mangling things inside, so if you overshoot, you have to go around again. The keyless works are quick and effortless to operate, so this takes about four extra seconds.

All the movement-related functions are controlled by the pusher and the 3-o'clock crown. The second crown is only for rotating the decompression table and internal pip.

All this probably sounds more complicated than it is. In practice, it's intuitive; after doing it once, you don't even have to think about it. (I can't say the same about remembering which way adjusts the date and which way advances the second time zone on my 356 UTC.) One final thing to note: the alarm on this thing is loud. :teach:

Isn't that true of almost all high-end divers, including Rolex?

Yes, but the difference is that those companies are plagiarizing elements that Rolex originated, whereas the Bathyscaphe appears to be drafted the other way around; it looks like it's taken its design cues from low-end watches. And that bezel is inexcusable at any price. ;)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads