• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CityMap

Reaction score
Uniqlo makes some damn good stuff for just chillin around the house. I just wish that **** would last longer, you get a year out of them if you're lucky. I know it's cheap stuff, but I like my stuff to last longer just because I hate buying clothes often.

thats the view here in Japan.
great for basics but many people especially young don't stock up on uniqlo because they it will break easily and also because the style is too recognizable, so some feel embarrassed if people find out it is from uniqlo. but foreigners really love it.
on other hand, japanese really love gap, hollister and abercrombie (middle age people wear it!) while Americans dont like it. it is interesting how opposite the US and Japan is.

the problem is while many Japanese love US brands, they feel the size dont fit, so they go to brands like United Arrows, ABAHouse that is really expensive for what you get ($50 for a t-shirt is too much). on the other hand you have brands like GU that are the other extreme (Uniqlo's sister brand) that is very popular among the young people and super cheap ($3 shirts during sales!).. but quality is bad. i bought a short there and the color bleeds even after 3 washes.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score

ULD "cardigan."
m_ULD_hero_l
I have literally been fantasizing about a collarless ULD ever since I got mine. I am so happy about this.

blitzmage

Reaction score
Uniqlo makes some damn good stuff for just chillin around the house. I just wish that **** would last longer, you get a year out of them if you're lucky. I know it's cheap stuff, but I like my stuff to last longer just because I hate buying clothes often.

I guess you have to pick the right items from UNIQLO.

The linen line isn't durable at all. The colors fade and the linen gets worn out after a few washes.

My UV hoodies and cotton button downs are still alright. Best to read some reviews first before getting them.

blngo

Reaction score
are the new selvedged denim sanforized or unsanforized? ive heard different things and i dont know who to believe really... customer service says unsanforized and some people claim its sanforized

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt they'd sell unsanforized jeans without a clear disclaimer about shrinking.

DMartins

Reaction score
Does anyone find that there's a lot of bleeding this season? I've been having trouble washing my denim but maybe I just can't use my new washing machine...

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess you have to pick the right items from UNIQLO.
The linen line isn't durable at all. The colors fade and the linen gets worn out after a few washes.

I don't know, I have a linen shirt that I got over a year ago that I've been wearing and washing pretty regularly, and it's just gotten softer and more comfortable, and the color is still consistent.

Yoderman

Reaction score
my graphic tees are all 100% cotton, though they definitely seem to vary slightly between model, but that might be color.

Eyechild

Reaction score
I used to really rate Uniqlo a few years back, as they did some good quality clothes at a remarkable price point. Not so much any more I think.

Example: a few years back I bought a lambswool crew-neck jumper from there for £20, and it was a perfectly decent mid-weight sweater, very cheap. I was pleased with that, so a a year or so later, when moths got to it, I went and bought it's equivalent and was immediately struck by how much more lightweight the wool was (it was very noticeable). Then just last year I checked their range of sweaters and they were all an acrylic/wool mix (I didn't buy).

Likewise their chinos used to be a substantial weight cotton, with herringbone pockets and metal hardware, for about a third the price of something comparable, but when I looked last they seemed to have lost a lot of the nice details.

I guess Uniqlo were one of the few retailers who used economies of scale to deliver a semi-decent product, cheap. However in the face of rising costs, rather than pass those on to their customers, they seem to have cut back on quality to protect their margins. The nice bits they used to do seem to have vanished.

That's the way of the world I suppose, though it's still a shame – I care more about quality these days, and would happily pay a few more pounds for it.

That said I still go there for socks and t-shirts.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The US finally has some plain white spread collar shirts(and for some reason black instead of blue) for those who need them for work on the cheap. It's the same thin fabric that's been used on the previous and current slim fit point and button down collars. I actually prefer this fabric compared to the thicker ones on the spread collar easy care shirts that were in the UK and Asian markets because those seem to stain around the neck and cuffs a lot easier and because this feels noticeably more breathable under a suit. Anyways, I generally wear their regular shirts and tees in XS and slim fit shirts in S, and got this in a small, which I had cleared out at the Union Square store :x

I wouldn't be able to stand such a sheer shirt, especially for work.

rotv

Reaction score
When people talk of the OCBD's being a good value, are they the dress or casual line? Do you guys feel that the easy care "dress" line work well for casual purposes too? I've been buying lots of Uniqlo over the past year and I've been happiest with the vintage chinos, airism/heattech undershirts, and some flannels. What are some other good value products from them should I be trying? Thank you, this thread has been a good source of information.

blitzmage

Reaction score
There are currently three OCBDs on the market right now.

There's the casual cotton oxford, the easy care office oxford and the shinier dress shirt.

Regarding the easy care office oxford, I definitely did not regret buying it. The material's light, it's available in slim fit and the fabric is still alright even after twenty or thirty washes. Yes you can also wear it casually. I often wear it with navy blue chino shorts and loafers. Most importantly the collar is still crisp and standing until now.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

are the new selvedged denim sanforized or unsanforized? ive heard different things and i dont know who to believe really... customer service says unsanforized and some people claim its sanforized

I doubt they'd sell unsanforized jeans without a clear disclaimer about shrinking.

Does anyone find that there's a lot of bleeding this season? I've been having trouble washing my denim but maybe I just can't use my new washing machine... 

Meant to respond to this yesterday and forgot.

Customer service called these unsanforized when I asked, and the uk site, if you look, says they're unsanforized and mentions possible shrinkage.

So I gave my pair of raws purchased in January (us webstore) a cold soak and a hot soak and saw no shrinkage. I've washed them since then (air dry) and not seen shrinkage yet.

Is it possible to produce a denim that is "unsanforized" but does not shrink? Maybe that's what happened here.

Oh and my raws crocked like hell for a while there, if that helps you, dmartins

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads