• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

emidyl

Reaction score
Has anyone been to the Loding shop at Avenue and Davenport?
I was actually going to post about my visit last Friday to the shop. My first time there after reading about them on Parisian and Hogtown Rake.
Small shop, bit of pain to access with the constant traffic up Avenue Rd., but park on Davenport and you'll be good.

Dealt with a really nice young gentleman by the name of Miguel, who at least on the surface to me was very enthusiastic about the product, and it's direction. He's the manager of the store and quite helpful.
Was informed that the shoes were manufactured in both Spain and Portugal, and that there is a downtown location going up, but no date as of yet. Toronto is the only North American city with a corporate Loding store, and soon to be home of a second and 3rd undisclosed location as of now.

The styles I personally found to be quite stylish, with some being almost too trendy and "fad" like in that I found them too narrow and long. No worries as there are few of those and more of the classic styles and shapes. Being a boot fan, I was disappointed by the slim choices offered by Loding. However, there are countless shoe styles and colours to suit most tastes and occasions, and even an option to custom colour your shoes. I found the leathers to being very acceptable, but I've not reached upper shoe snob status as of yet, but hope to be soon. Staining for the various pairs I tried on were very consistent, and burnishing very nice, gradual, and clean. I have read some feel the leathers are a bit stiff and concur, but don't feel "cheap" in any way. I didn't find them to be thin either, as also reported by others. Again, I'm relatively new to the shoe game but not totally in the dark when it comes to quality and workmanship one can see with the naked eye. I've looked at various famous branded shoes costing double what Loding charges and cannot for the life of me fathom why someone would buy them, and we're talking big players here, aside from the fact it is made by so and so company, and fail to see any style in some of these manufacturers.

I asked about the site and was informed that it will be updated shortly. I don't know but it needs something to make it pop and make more enticing to the general surfer/shopper. Despite the info on the site, Miguel assures me that the bulk of the shoes on hand were indeed goodyear welts.

I could have walked out of there with 3 pair of shoes (chelseas and single monks) but opted for a split toe I've been eyeing to add to my collection for casual work. I've got an average sized/shape foot and found the lasts in the monks and chelseas fit me fine, and the split toe I purchased were on a wider last, of which I sized down a half size UK7.5 However after trying them on at home over the weekend at different times of the day have decided to swap back up to the UK8, which Miguel has been kind enough to put aside for me.

For those uniformed with Loding, all their shoes, and shirts are priced the same. Regardless of style and or colours/design, 1 price. Shirts, socks, sweaters, belts, scarves, all priced the same within their respective items.
So if you're in the market for something a little different and "affordable", give them a try. Might be one of the better values to be had, time will tell, but here's to hoping they can fill that market for up and coming shoe snobbies like myself.

emidyl

Reaction score
Was thinking about getting shoes for summer, and was wondering - have any of you guys had any experience with the footwear from Scarosso or Merrmin?

These look pretty good to me, on Internet paper at least, and I especially like the customization options. I'm all over anything custom generally, especially when it's MTM style...good value and all. But I don't know anything about the fit or actual style of these and haven't been able to arrange a drop in Europe to do a try-on and return (if necessary).

Anyone bit on these bad boys?

the MTO looks and sounds enticing for the relatively affordable costing.

here is a link to the lasts, not sure how helpful it is without an owner offering any input though...
upon further searching seems Meermin gets decent press but actual reviews are all over the map with hit and miss quality.

http://meermin.tumblr.com/image/20983395357

Last edited:

akoustas

Reaction score
Downtown location in First Canadian Place is open. Much easier to access. Have to say I'm impressed with the stylings and the layout. Shoes look great, but not sure about the quality. May have to dig a big deeper, but for the price point they seem alright.

emidyl

Reaction score
Downtown location in First Canadian Place is open. Much easier to access. Have to say I'm impressed with the stylings and the layout. Shoes look great, but not sure about the quality. May have to dig a big deeper, but for the price point they seem alright.
I stand corrected, good to know it is up and running. Yes I've got my fingers crossed WRT quality but initial impressions are favourable to me.

akoustas

Reaction score
I'm not the biggest fan of Allen Edmonds in terms of styles (own three pairs of basics). If they're anywhere around that level of quality I'd be more than happy to kop a couple pairs.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loding seemed to raise their prices by $30. They are near my work but I never went inside. I'll take a stroll one day

Ranjeev

Reaction score
Anyone know a good watch repair guy in TO? Mississauga or Financial District would be ideal. Watch won't wind. Not sure if it matters but the watch is a Panerai 111.

emidyl

Reaction score
I'm not the biggest fan of Allen Edmonds in terms of styles (own three pairs of basics). If they're anywhere around that level of quality I'd be more than happy to kop a couple pairs.
I'm with you there, despite a couple attempts at purchasing Dalton boots, they just never did anything for me. Very conservative.
And sometimes quality is hit or miss affair.
For the same money I would be into some Carmina boots.

TOstyle

Reaction score
I agree with this sentiment re: Allen Edmonds. Own a couple of pairs, and I like them (wearing these as I write, and have enjoyed them for years now), but I don't think the quality matches the high esteem in which they are sometimes held. It's not a detriment to say they are a good quality, reasonably priced brand, but their product tends to be a little mens-y, and certainly not something I lust over. I kind of think it is an American thing, where (like Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren) it is a 'heritage' brand with a loyal following even if the product isn't exceptional.

Bought a pair of Lodings when they first opened on Davenport in the summertime. The build is good, and the shape of the lasts are to my liking. I thought they had a pretty good selection of styles, and I liked that they also did MTO. Leather quality I don't know about, so still up in the air about that. Also, I went to the new location in FCP looking for a chelsea boot and didn't really see anything that caught my eye.

On the whole, given the price point and styling, I think it is a good addition to the footwear options in the city.
I'm with you there, despite a couple attempts at purchasing Dalton boots, they just never did anything for me. Very conservative.
And sometimes quality is hit or miss affair.
For the same money I would be into some Carmina boots.
Seconded. I have to say though I do like the wear on my boot. I can wear it casually, but also doesn't look totally out of place with a suit in the winter.

But for the price, I would be all over Carmina. And that's also why I'm interested in the Scarosso and Merrmin offering. Would dearly like to get good quality product in the $3-500 range on the regular.

akoustas

Reaction score
@TOstyle thanks for the info.

I feel the exact same way. I'm actually wearing a pair of AEs now that require a heel replacement after about a year and a half of wear on rotation. The leather is nice and keeps up great if you take care of it, but they're definitely not "legendary". That being said, I'm not expecting wonders, and at the the price they're good value.

If you're saying Loding fits the same definition, I'd definitely consider them as an option. Especially for pairs that are a bit more "out there" which would be worn less often.

After looking over the Meermin forums in depth, I was never able to justify the purchase. It seems like the delivery times are long, the customer service lacking and the shoes someone below AE in terms of quality and construction. Never heard of Scarosso but looks like they have some great stuff!

I have a pair of Carmina boots and they are truly a step above. If they're within your budget they are well worth the extra expenditure. J.Fitzpatrick also offers a compelling product, with slimmer lasts, in the same price range. Very pleased with the pair I bought recently.

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
I have a pair of Carmina boots and they are truly a step above. If they're within your budget they are well worth the extra expenditure. J.Fitzpatrick also offers a compelling product, with slimmer lasts, in the same price range. Very pleased with the pair I bought recently.

Which brings us to Leatherfoot...

borbor

Reaction score
@TOstyle thanks for the info.

I feel the exact same way. I'm actually wearing a pair of AEs now that require a heel replacement after about a year and a half of wear on rotation. The leather is nice and keeps up great if you take care of it, but they're definitely not "legendary". That being said, I'm not expecting wonders, and at the the price they're good value.

If you're saying Loding fits the same definition, I'd definitely consider them as an option. Especially for pairs that are a bit more "out there" which would be worn less often.

After looking over the Meermin forums in depth, I was never able to justify the purchase. It seems like the delivery times are long, the customer service lacking and the shoes someone below AE in terms of quality and construction. Never heard of Scarosso but looks like they have some great stuff!

alfred sargent (of which I have a pair) is also another viable option in that price bracket. Their handgrade and executive grade can hold its own against Carmina (of which I have 5 pairs).

My meermins aren't bad; I actually prefer them over AEs (on styling alone I can never get over AEs). And from the AE that I've handled, I don't think Meermin is lacking in terms of quality between the two.

akoustas

Reaction score
Not a huge fan of their customer service. Shouldn't have to wear a suit into the place to get respect. I buy from the vendors now.

TOstyle

Reaction score
Good to know re: Meermin. I get the sense we have the same sense of relative quality, so I'll take your recommendation. Meermin is off the too-consider list. I'd still like to see more of Scarosso; I think they are new though, started sometime late 2013 by MBA students is the story I think.

Quote: Completely agree. I was looking to get a pair of Carmina for this winter, but I left it a little bit too long and was getting gun-shy about the price. I'm for sure going to get something for next year.

And J. Fitzpatrick - now there are some shoes to lust over. I should figure out sizing in these and give his stuff a try.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads