• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ino68

Reaction score
Exactly, it's like the distinction of shoe style formality is pointless given the sometimes monstrosities that get paired with 'conservative business dress'

Maybe not on Bay Street, but elsewhere fo sho

Last edited:

Spex

Reaction score
Would anyone know where to find Canadian prices for Brooks Brothers items? I ordered some of the recently discontinued OCBDs through my rep at the Bay store. These are showing online at $79.50, as they're being cleared out. In store I'm being told they scan at $125 CAD which seems a little high even with the exchange.

First, just to confirm you mean at the Bay St store in the RBC tower, and not your SA at The Bay (that would make no sense, so I guess I've answered my own question)?

I didn't realize they had put those OCBDs on sale on the website, but I just checked and you are correct. The USD original price is showing as $95 on the site. I remember these being $99 (regular price) CAD in store when I bought them (which was over a year ago, mind you). $95 USD at this moment is about $126 CAD, so the conversion works out, but it seems like the discount is not being applied. I would go back and ask him (or her) to check the site. My BB SA does this for me all of the time (check items I've seen on the site, that is). $79.50 USD should come out to about $105 CAD.

Last edited:

ADub

Reaction score
For those interested in alteration tailors I got my stuff back from Nikos in Yorkville. The stitching is neat and the overall result is similar to Xavier Custom Tailors at just over half of what Xavier charges. He will do whatever you ask of him though he also suggests against certain things that he feels is a waste of your money (and likely his time) so I do like that about him as well. If you care about personality Nikos is very social compared to Xavier.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To those looking for a new pair of Allen Edmonds:

I was long in denial of the stupidity that is happening to our Canadian dollars until I was looking for a new pair of Allen Edmonds a few days ago. My local store carries a limited variety of AE here but that includes some of the signature like Park Avenue for 475 CAD before tax. At first I thought that was an absurd markup as a new pair costs only $395 in the US. But wait, I did some maths when I got back home:

A pair in Canada costing 475 with BC sales tax comes up to 532 CAD

395 USD is actually 525 CAD right now (I know!). Even if you can ship to some US P.O box, unless it's Oregon, you'll be hit with state tax. Don't even think about shipping it up here.

How about factory second, $299 a pair and ship it up here. Shipping is $25 as quoted by AE. You'll end up paying around $324 (around 431 CAD) then pray that customs peeps remember NAFTA and only charge the package 5% federal tax. Then it's 452 CAD. So you'll end up saving around $80 or less depending on the moods of lovely customs peeps and you'll only get second quality.

So yes, CAD sucks but right now, if you accept that, then buying AE in Canada makes more economical sense. Just my two cents.

burgerkong

Reaction score

I was long in denial of the stupidity that is happening to our Canadian dollars until I was looking for a new pair of Allen Edmonds a few days ago. My local store carries a limited variety of AE here but that includes some of the signature like Park Avenue for 475 CAD before tax. At first I thought that was an absurd markup as a new pair costs only $395 in the US. But wait, I did some maths when I got back home:

395 USD is actually 525 CAD right now (I know!). Even if you can ship to some US P.O box, unless it's Oregon, you'll be hit with state tax. Don't even think about shipping it up here.

How about factory second, $299 a pair and ship it up here. Shipping is $25 as quoted by AE. You'll end up paying around $324 (around 431 CAD) then pray that customs peeps remember NAFTA and only charge the package 5% federal tax. Then it's 452 CAD. So you'll end up saving around $80 or less depending on the moods of lovely customs peeps and you'll only get second quality.

So yes, CAD sucks but right now, if you accept that, then buying AE in Canada makes more economical sense. Just my two cents.

Just as a friendly reminder, BB has their 30% off Corporate Sale this Thursday (March 10), which would bring most AE's to $357 before tax.

Last edited:

stanchri

Reaction score

On the bright side, the CAD has recently made up some ground, at least against the major currencies i.e. USD, EUR, GBP.

stanchri

Reaction score
Just as a friendly reminder, BB has their 30% off Corporate Sale this Saturday, which would bring most AE's to $357 before tax.

Can the corporate sale discount be used on EG? Or is EG always excluded?

Spex

Reaction score
I'm so glad I purchased my pairs of AEs when the dollar was at par and paid less than $300 each.

burgerkong

Reaction score
Figured I'd ask the local style guru's, if you had to choose between the following for a conservative captoe, which would you choose and why?

A)

B)

ADub

Reaction score

Figured I'd ask the local style guru's, if you had to choose between the following for a conservative captoe, which would you choose and why? A) B)
I highly doubt and would be surprised if you get flak for wearing either to the office. Personally I would go with A as it has more flair, looks more sleek, and looks to have a higher instep but that could just be the angle of the shot making it seem so. It really depends on the rest of your wardrobe as well: I'd go with A if the rest of your stuff is slim and B if they are more on the looser side of the spectrum. If I'm not mistaken those are LodinG right?

burgerkong

Reaction score
Yep, just seeing how the market is for black captoes, there's nothing in that range (well, aside from the BB AE's that will be on sale). Went to their shop yesterday and initial impressions were good, but like another member here said, their designs are more peculiar (for example, the B model is missing the row of stitching, the facing seam, that runs parallel to the eyelets which makes it look like a derby).

Realistically, the only local options would be LodinG and AE's (on sale). Loake runs to the $500 range and due to their ban on importation to other countries, there's really no other choices. Meermin was considered, but with the additional duty, potential QC issues, USD and difficult returns, it's not worth it IMO.

Last edited:

ADub

Reaction score

Yep, just seeing how the market is for black captoes, there's nothing in that range (well, aside from the BB AE's that will be on sale). Went to their shop yesterday and initial impressions were good, but like another member here said, their designs are more peculiar (for example, the B model is missing the row of stitching, the facing seam, that runs parallel to the eyelets which makes it look like a derby).

Realistically, the only local options would be LodinG and AE's (on sale). Loake runs to the $500 range and due to their ban on importation to other countries, there's really no other choices. Meermin was considered, but with the additional duty, potential QC issues, USD and difficult returns, it's not worth it IMO.

I agree that at $500 AE and Loake are overpriced; I'd rather spend more and get Carmina at that point. I was lucky to pick up my Carmina black captoes on Boxing Day from LeatherFoot at a really good price so I'd say keep an eye on them. There was a store in Montreal that used to stock Meermin but they were overpriced as well seeing how they charge $800 for Carmina.

stanchri

Reaction score

What about Carmina's on sale? Might be tough to find a black captoe on sale but worth a try if time allows.
As for the 2 shoes, you have to consider fit first. If one of the 2 lasts does not fit, the decision is simple. If they both fit equally well, I would also go for A given it's a sleeker last, but that all comes down to personal preference. In the end neither will be deemed unprofessional and both are miles above what most people wear on Bay St anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads