1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. SirReveller

SirReveller Well-Known Member

That's a very nice offer! Would we be permitted to bring beverages?

2. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

3. LeatherFoot

LeatherFoot Well-Known Member

Most certainly! It's not a get together without beverages! ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Will contact you (LF) and S&M shortly to discuss details.

5. SirReveller

I really got to stop in to the dtown S&M to see their stuff in the flesh, er, fabric.

6. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Well-Known Member

Eidos makes some great looking coats but they're money. Check them out here, here and here as a few examples.

7. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Well-Known Member

Looks like they took over Bulloch Custom Tailors old location when Stan and Italo went into semi retirement.

8. SirReveller

OK so I finally made it into the new(ish) Saks Off Fifth at Vaughan Mills. Some Boss suits 12hundo to 8, Strellson, Cucinelli 3K instead of 5, some CK junk..meh, nothin special. Then I spot all these buttery suits in 42R.

Trim fit. Visible stitching. Silk-wool. Preemo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

$599? For Ermenegildo Zegna?? I fast realized it's the Saks Fifth Avenue house brand but using an E. Zegna silk-wool weave.
    [​IMG]

OK made in China or Mexico, surely. Nope. Woven in Italy and Made in Italy.
    [​IMG]

Stellar fit so I snapped up a charcoal to replace a battered HB but man if I needed light-grey, navy or black I'd have gotten them all. There was also a patterned one.

Now perhaps fused and maybe some rayon in the liner but these look and feel like an E. Zegna suit. Further, some stale threads seem to uphold the qual of the Saks house brand. Amazing value IMO considering

http://www.harryrosen.com/clothing/...gildo-zegna/milano-trofeo-600-suit/p/01051095

Anyway I was told in June and on Father's Day alone the second suit is half off ie $600/$300 but if anyone's in need and in the area I'd highly recommend.

9. CloudLi

CloudLi Well-Known Member

I just wonder why $600 fused suits are great value? Saks by Samuelsohn is the same price as JP Tilford. The EZegna suits HR carries are full canvased and better fabric. And you can find Samuelsohn suits at HR outlet for $800 before the 15% discount. If you just go up to the fifth floor, the bay carries many solid charcoal/navy Samuelsohn suits for less than $1000 before 15% discount plus another 15% if you have a SPC card.

10. CloudLi

CloudLi Well-Known Member

Forgive my anger because Saks do not carry Isaia suits in 36

11. SirReveller

Lol np. Lemme address your points. Certainly the fused construction is the main savings over a straight-up E. Zegna suit. But this is $677 to walk out with it and that is $4230. Your best shot is $3K for an E. Zegna on sale, at best. Further, I have a Canali (and a Tom James, lol) fully-canvassed and frankly I find the merits over fused to be greatly exaggerated on SF. Sometimes in the dead of summer in a fused HB I'll wonder "would full canvass be cooler?..no. Removing your suit jacket in direct sunlight remains the top cooling method" :happy: As for drape and that, well, that falls under fit. I'll always compare fit/fabric/quality over FC vs fused. I've tried on a bunch of Samuelsohn and yeah it's good fabric. Jack at Tello & Son in FCP is always preaching the merits of a tailored on discount so I am open to it...but, I'm telling you, this E. Zegna silk-wool is unreal. It was the main motivation for my gushy poast/reco, besides the amazing fit and stitching. I really doubt there's a better mill they source for the "real" E. Zegna fabric in their very own suits. In fact, some old hand salesman at Rosen was bemoaning to me once that they carry so much Canali and so little E. Zegna. I decried that they were equally-excellent on fabric. Then we walked the store to settle the bet, so to speak. I lost. E. Zegna def gets the edge. Here you're getting that in an excellent fit qual and styling fused construction at like 1/5 the cost. The liner says Saks Fifth Avenue instead of Ermenegildo Zegna. Fused. That's it.

12. SirReveller

OK I was researching some more and ran my grubby fingies over this thing a bunch of times and discovered that there are two Saks house brand levels. This is the italian-made "black" label v. the wherever emerging market "red" label. More importantly half-canvassed. The cheap outlet-only red line is fused. Better? :p

13. SirReveller

Finally this E. Zegna "Traveller" blend is just a mainline one of their many blends from the one mill.

http://www.zegnagroup.com/lanificio/tessuti/elenco

OK I'll stop spamming the thread about this now. Sickest awesomeness-to-value ratio I've encountered in a long while though. Highly reco, if you couldn't tell lol

14. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Well-Known Member

The Saks house label offers really good value. I had a suit in E.Thomas fabric, half canvas, if I recall correctly (it was a while back) and it was very nice. Looks like a very good find, SirR.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  15. nqtri

nqtri Well-Known Member

I just got a job at a place where it is a business casual environment. No tie so I'm planning not to wear full suits every day but rather shirts, pants and sportcoats/ blazers for the next two years or so. My question is where I can find decent pants (not chinos) that I can throw into the washing machine? I know Banana Republic has limited cotton pants selection for ok price after coupons but is there any other place?

16. gs77

gs77 Well-Known Member

Don't mean to be an ass, but genuinely interested... Why would you do that? (Throw dress trousers in a washing machine)

17. nqtri

nqtri Well-Known Member

Ah I forgot to add that I'm not looking for wool or delicate fabric pants. One reason is there is no decent dry cleaner around my new place and my work commitment prevents me from dropping my stuff at dry cleaner often now. That is why I'm looking to the range of dress cotton pants that BR is offering. For the time being, the only stuff going to dry cleaner every now and then for me is my blazers and full suits.

18. Spex

Spex Well-Known Member

I'm confused as to what "business formal" means, as I would think that means full suit. I work in a business environment that I believe is technically business casual, and I wear wool trousers, an odd jacket and shirt with tie. This works in my environment because some men do wear a suit (but most of them are in positions above mine).

I find wool trousers to remain looking the neatest, do not wrinkle much (any wrinkles jut come out during hanging) and only get sent to dry cleaning once a season. I use a rotation of about 4-5 pairs per season (spring+summer, fall+winter).

19. nqtri

nqtri Well-Known Member

Oh I screwed up. I meant "business casual" [​IMG]. I've considered wool and definitely prefer them to cotton. My another concern is I'm in Vancouver and it rains damn lot so if my wool pants take a hit, I can't just throw it in the washing machine. For blazers it's fine because they are covered in a coat anyway.

20. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Well if you want something you can throw in the wash then it has to be cotton, in which case best case you're looking at decent pressed khakies. Otherwise you're looking at wool and then it's the usual wear them many times then occasionally dry clean routine.

1 person likes this.