• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Oh I should explain that our family owned a custom shoe shop from the 70's to 90's while my father was in Milan. We made a name for ourselves catering to diplomats and for exports. So I know there are just ancient inefficient designs that need to be updated in classic shoes.

I disagree...I think most high end and bespoke makers would disagree. Rubber outsoles have been around since at least the last quarter of the 19th century. So shoemakers have had, at minimum, 100+/- years to evaluate rubber outsoles and compare them to the qualities and characteristics that leather outsoles bring to the mix.

And almost universally--the high end makers (as well as consumers) have preferred leather and rejected rubber except for the most utilitarian applications.

There is, in modern society, the notion that efficiency trumps any aspirations of quality or excellence. And ought to. That speed is the standard by which all worth is measured. It is so prevalent we see it in food processing, education, government, medicine, and social media --hell, people have a hard time thinking, even, in more than 144 characters.

What's the old saying?--"There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse (quicker) , and sell a little more cheaply. (John Ruskin) The only caveat is that things that are made with less human input and less care...and that generally translates into faster and more cheaply...almost always rise in price back to the level of better quality when that better quality has been driven out of the consciousness of the consumer.

Ancient designs and Traditions are with us because they have stood the test of time--they aren't contingent on subjective evaluations embodied in such concepts as "inefficient," "uncomfortable," etc..

This is particularly true when you understand that it is primarily the fit of the shoe and the quality/nature of the insole that determine whether a shoe is uncomfortable or not. If the shoe is well fit, and the insole a material that will take and retain a decent footbed, the outsole will not affect comfort unless it is occlusive and/or will not itself accommodate to the foot.

--

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goyser is un-refined and the side seam plain ugly.

Norwegian sewn construction different than goyser construction. Goyser/goiser is an welted construction but norwegian sewn has no welt.

The side seam for my pair isn't the most good looking I've seen but it does its job.

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Norwegian sewn construction different than goyser construction. Goyser/goiser is an welted construction but norwegian sewn has no welt.

The side seam for my pair isn't the most good looking I've seen but it does its job.

Good that it works for you, that's what matters. I'm wondering why they choose to do a side seam and make it so obvious instead of the more traditional/common back seam. Probably a style issue.

The Norwegian stitching really pops out perhaps that's how you intended it to be.

Last edited:

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm wondering why they choose to do a side seam and make it so obvious instead of the more traditional/common back seam. Probably a style issue.

It's not an (off-centre) side seam, but a full (heel) counter. There is the same seam on the inside and outside.

http://gazianogirling.tumblr.com/

I do believe a counter is a good idea for a Norwegian (style) shoe as it balances the apron front and, by adding heft to the heel, doesn't make the shoe too front-heavy.

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's not an (off-centre) side seam, but a full (heel) counter. There is the same seam on the inside and outside.

http://gazianogirling.tumblr.com/

I do believe a counter is a good idea for a Norwegian (style) shoe as it balances the apron front and, by adding heft to the heel, doesn't make the shoe too front-heavy.

Ahh.... thanks for the pictures, that explains it.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good that it works for you, that's what matters. I'm wondering why they choose to do a side seam and make it so obvious instead of the more traditional/common back seam. Probably a style issue.

The Norwegian stitching really pops out perhaps that's how you intended it to be.

Yes, G&G has done it exactly like what I've specified, including the counter/side seam, the stitching, and double sole. It was a full heal counter, not side seam. Besides, if it's going to be a side seam, I would put them at the inside not outside.

I did not intend to have this pair as a "refined" pair of shoes; it's casual and somewhat rugged for my unrefined self.

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, G&G has done it exactly like what I've specified, including the counter/side seam, the stitching, and double sole. It was a full heal counter, not side seam. Besides, if it's going to be a side seam, I would put them at the inside not outside.

I did not intend to have this pair as a "refined" pair of shoes; it's casual and somewhat rugged for my unrefined self.

Fair enough,understand.

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My most comfortable boots ever...more bespoke boots planned this week, more John Lobb of St James planned for next year...

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My Gaziano and Girling back calf brogues, beautiful but very heavy as they have a double rubber soles, and will probably outlive me.,:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads