• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Collection of Shoe Appreciation

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's not water - it's Dom Perignon.
I recall reading about some Victorian dandy who insisted on polishing his shoes with Champagne.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(bengal-stripe @ July 01 2005,05:39) That's not water - it's Dom Perignon.
I recall reading about some Victorian dandy who insisted on polishing his shoes with Champagne.
Beau Brummell would have his shoes polished with the froth of champagne. However, he didn't live in the Victorian era; earlier in the English Regency period. When he ordered John Lobb boots he would insist the boots then be put out in the storefront window for about a year in order to make them look slightly aged. It once took his valet, and him two hours in the morning to knot the perfect cravat. And his toiletry itself was about two hours.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Beau Brummell in the English Regency period.

When he ordered John Lobb boots he would insist the boots then be put out in the storefront window for about a year in order to make them look slightly aged.
I thought Lobbs was founded in the 1850s, after Brummell had died -- broke, insane and incontinent -- in a French asylum?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing,July 01 2005,13:56
Beau Brummell in the English Regency period. When he ordered John Lobb boots he would insist the boots then be put out in the storefront window for about a year in order to make them look slightly aged.
I thought Lobbs was founded in the 1850s, after Brummell had died -- broke, insane and incontinent -- in a French asylum?
I recall that it was John Lobb that Beau Brummel patronized. I could be wrong though. It was in Ellen Moers' book, "The Dandy"

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
According to Wikipedia:
Quote:
He died penniless and insane in Caen in 1840.
Google reports that John Lobb was founded in 1849.
I do not know I link John Lobb with Beau Brummell. I believe he had his shoes made by Hoby which used to be on the corner of St.James, and Picadilly. But he still left them in the store windows.

pemazel

Reaction score
First of all: thanks to naturlaut. Fine pictures.

Where to buy these magazines? I tried Amazon Japan, but got lost. If anyone finds an oulet, please let us know.

Paul

naturlaut

Reaction score
Where to buy these magazines?
Heh.
wink.gif

naturlaut

Reaction score
The following pictures are taken from the regular "Men's Ex" magazine of December 2004. Â It usually features tons of suit Appreciation, but this issue deals with black shoes in particular, so here you are.
scanm.jpg
scanm0001.jpg
Bottom left corner is our friend Mr. Martini from the Kiton Store in New York (formerly from Borrelli store). I don't know if he knows he's in the magazine.
scanm0002.jpg
scanm0003.jpg
scanm0004.jpg
I know it's really hard to see the shoes at the bottom, but they are: (Left to right on the bottom row) Bonora, John Lobb Matta II, Stefano Bemer.
scanm0005.jpg
scanm0006.jpg
This is also quite hard to see, but the middle shoe on the top row is Hanry Maxell's.
scanm0007.jpg

marc37

Reaction score
lt would be great to just travel the world collecting those types of shoes. So many beautiful and unusal shoes. Thanks Naturaut.
smile.gif

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, this thread DOES rock.
thumbs-up.gif
thumbs-up.gif
(BTW the 'this thread rocks' pic of the fat dude...priceless.) i'm with TokyoSlim - those 'two tie'(?) shoes are amazing. also in the same set of scans was a shoe in a 'sidebar' titled 'Focus On', had a single line of broguing running down from one of the lace holes...really cool. also #2, i really liked the boots with the flower punched out on the lower ankle. too many great shoes to talk about... /andrew

naturlaut

Reaction score
The following pictures are taken from LAST, volume 4. There are other topics in this issue besides shoes too. (My Volume 3 is will Koji ... so I can't post any scans.)
scanl4.jpg
scanl40001.jpg
scanl40002.jpg
scanl40003.jpg
scanl40004.jpg
scanl40005.jpg
scanl40006.jpg

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just returned from my friendly neighbourhood Japanese bookshop with the specially ordered copies of  "Last" (vols. 3-5).

Wow, they are really nice. Ought to take up Japanese evening classes to read the text. Thank goodness, all the manufacturers and model names are featured in Latin script. I'm waiting for vol.6, which, I was told, is scheduled to come out in late August/ early September.

naturlaut

Reaction score
It will most likely come out on the 29th of the month, just like all the others. We'll probably going to see a long line at each of our local Japanese bookstore on that morning ...

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is it me or do a lot of these fellows sport a bit too much sock -- i.e. their trousers are too short?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads