• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Turntable Thread

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^That's crazy technical, lol. I'm going to read that though. I going to send it to my friend who is a radio engineer and audio geek. Before I picked up the pair of MK3s I had an opportunity to borrow his ST-70 while he was rearranging his listening room. Wow. Honestly, I preferred his ST-70. He's an East Coast guy (AR, KLH) while I THINK I'm a West Coast guy. I say think because I have some KLH 17s and some Advents that I need to swap into this current setup. For me, It may be a 2-way vs. 3-way thing too. I don't know. So many variables!

Oh and you mentioned MJQ and I remembered that I want to find a clean copy of Django so thanks for that!

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got one of these in storage...

Dansette Major with BSR autochanger. Usually worked better if I put a coin on the tone-arm.

Always loved to spin my Gary Glitter 45s.

EDIT:

I'm not spinning any vinyl at the moment, basically because there's no vinyl to spin and no way to spin it. Not in this city.

Last edited:

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to need a turntable sometime soon, since my GF loves vinyl. The only one I have ever used is my father's vintage Acoustic Research AR-1 'The Turntable' with a Grado cartridge, its lovely mahogany base, and coupled to a massive Onkyo Integra amp and big JBL L112s. It did sound sweet.

What I'd love to do is get the components of a turntable and put them in a custom base since I am a competent woodworker, and make something really beautiful (like this one rosewood AR-1 on some website). Is that sort of thing possible? Can I buy the parts or find a decent turntable and gut it? Failing that, what is the best < $300ish turntable?

~ H

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I don't know about sub $300 but I supposed if you can find a decent AR and then do all the woodwork yourself...maybe?
Are you familiar w/ Vinyl Nirvana? Basically everything you'd need to know regarding AR decks. I've always wanted an AR and have come very close to buying on a few occasions. I'd really like a Linn Sondek as well. Someday I'll bite.

http://www.vinylnirvana.com/ar-gallery/

ilikethelights

Reaction score

^^ Have you been to Needle Doctor on Excelsior? They have some beauties that I forget the name of (simple, one word name) that are in the glass case. Been pondering a purchase of a new TT and hooking up the NAD/Rega to the basement system.

Not since they've moved from Dinkytown which has been a while now I guess. Been wanting to drop by the new one sometime soon and browse.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Try to scrape together enough dough for a Rega RP1 or a Music Hall 2.2. Great tables for the money. Below the $400 mark things get sketchy.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I don't know about sub $300 but I supposed if you can find a decent AR and then do all the woodwork yourself...maybe?
Are you familiar w/ Vinyl Nirvana? Basically everything you'd need to know regarding AR decks. I've always wanted an AR and have come very close to buying on a few occasions. I'd really like a Linn Sondek as well. Someday I'll bite.

http://www.vinylnirvana.com/ar-gallery/

Ah, thanks. It was there some time ago that I saw a rosewood AR turntable. That's a great site. The ARs are really beautiful:

Might be able to scour eBay and search for a decent TT without a base (plinth). I see Rek-O-Kut turntables from time to time minus the plinth that sometimes fetch sub-$300 prices.

Hmm, I'll keep my eye out. How to Technics fair?

Try to scrape together enough dough for a Rega RP1 or a Music Hall 2.2. Great tables for the money. Below the $400 mark things get sketchy.
I knew about the Rega, but that Music Hall in Piano Black is very, very nice indeed. I certainly could manage the cost. I'm still kind of set on having a cocobolo turntable plinth, but I will certainly keep the Music Hall in mind.

~ H

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not since they've moved from Dinkytown which has been a while now I guess. Been wanting to drop by the new one sometime soon and browse.

It's pretty nice. I was just in the a few weeks ago and picked up a pair of Grado headphones. Right off Excelsior and Hwy 100.

Hmm, I'll keep my eye out. How to Technics fair?

Not bad at all for a beginners table. Especially the vintage metal base models. I had a late 70's SL-1600 Mk2 most recently. My first turntable was a SL-1200 I picked up at a yard sale for $5. That thing was nearly indestructible. It's no Pro-Ject or Music Hall, but they're great for the money. You can pick up pretty nice examples on the bay for under $200.

ilikethelights

Reaction score

It's pretty nice. I was just in the a few weeks ago and picked up a pair of Grado headphones. Right off Excelsior and Hwy 100.

I drive by there at least once a week. Do they still keep weird hours like closing at 5?

Which Grados? I have the pretty basic SR60s but absolutely love them

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

I drive by there at least once a week. Do they still keep weird hours like closing at 5?

Which Grados? I have the pretty basic SR60s but absolutely love them

I have the RS-1i, modded 225s, 80s, and 60s. I love Grados.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

I knew about the Rega, but that Music Hall in Piano Black is very, very nice indeed. I certainly could manage the cost. I'm still kind of set on having a cocobolo turntable plinth, but I will certainly keep the Music Hall in mind.

~ H

I have not seem many cocobolo tables and I'm sure it would look great but it would likely not be the best investment dollars for sound quality. You are probably looking at least a thousand bucks for that and at that price a good Rega RP3 is a better investment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads