• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Ttailor

Reaction score

Thank you for clarifying, this is helpful. There is seam allowance of approx 2" pretty much everywhere and they'll adjust it free of charge for me. What alteration would you recommend? Taking out the center back? Or is this an issue with the shoulder?

The danger of internet advice! I didn't say to take out the CB, and I am not sure what else to say for fear of it being misinterpreted.
I bet it is a shoulder issue. The fix is possible in a couple of ways but your best bet is to take it to them in person. Indicate the area you have concern about and see if they can fix it. They made it, so one assumes they would be able to fix it.

fire and zen

Reaction score

The danger of internet advice! I didn't say to take out the CB, and I am not sure what else to say for fear of it being misinterpreted.
I bet it is a shoulder issue. The fix is possible in a couple of ways but your best bet is to take it to them in person. Indicate the area you have concern about and see if they can fix it. They made it, so one assumes they would be able to fix it.

Fair play, this is why I wanted to clarify. I'll take it to them. And no CB adjustments (unless this is what they diagnose in person). Thanks!

EzraPaul

Reaction score

Hello, I've ordered a linen shift from Propercloth and I'm having trouble working out why it looks so bad fit wise and what to do about it. I've not ordered or really worn much linen before so it might just be me not understanding the properties of the cloth or maybe it's just the cloth that I ordered, but I digress, (poorly lit and including half a lightswitch) pictures: [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] I don't like the huge folds of cloth on the back, around the belly or under my arms from the front. It seems to be extremely rippled (not charming linen wrinkles), as if there's far too much fabric all over the place. Any suggestions? * Do I need to hugely let out the waist and bottom width measurements so that it's less tapered and thus becomes a baggy shirt? * Is the fabric just too thin to drape properly (it's just a different colour of this if it helps). * Do I need darts and width reductions to try and reduce the back fabric? * If I lift my arms up the yolk looks way too large, but it sits quite nicely on the shoulders with my arms down, any adjustment needed there? I'm lost, I've not had a shirt so far off from Propercloth. Using a random google image search ideal fit would be something like this or this Any help is appreciated.
It could be caused by several things:
  • linen drapes differently than cotton
  • the back is too big so when you taper to the waist it drapes funny (problem regardless of the waist issues)
  • the armhole is too big (problem regardless of the waist issues)
  • the shoulder slop is too square (problem regardless of the waist issues)
But is most likely the result of: You wear your trousers way lower than your true waist. You're unlikely to change this. I'd also bet the family farm that pants are always baggier than you like around the lower hip/thigh. This is because the rise is much too long for you on most trousers, so the hip (which is cut bigger than the thigh) is sitting at the thigh. I assume you are ordering these yourself, not getting measured? To fix:
  • adjust the items above
  • decrease the back if you can, which is doubtful, so decrease the chest 1/2" and the yoke 1/2" and check the "erect posture" box
  • decrease the hip as much as you can without making it tight
  • add 1-2" to the length. The shirt will be too long, but it will make the shirt waist longer (hip lower)
Lastly, this is why you should have a professional measure you.

jeam3130

Reaction score
1. What do I need my tailor to change for these pants to fit better? I feel like they are too baggy in the buttocks area. will slimming the thighs to the knee and increasing the taper from the knees down do the trick?

TinyThor

Reaction score
I have short arms & sports coats with surgeon's cuffs.
confused.gif
My local tailor (bespoke fellow, not alterations only type) has quoted me a price to shorten the sleeves that's 4x greater than shortening regular sleeves (plus, the pattern may not match which is a real risk). Is that a reasonable mark up? If i don't care about losing the functionality of the surgeon's cuffs can i get it shortened at the cuff end?
thanks!

TT

EzraPaul

Reaction score

I have short arms & sports coats with surgeon's cuffs.:confused: ย  My local tailor (bespoke fellow, not alterations only type) has quoted me a price to shorten the sleeves that's 4x greater than shortening regular sleeves (plus, the patternย  may not match which is a real risk). Is that a reasonable mark up? If i don't care about losing the functionality of the surgeon's cuffs can i get it shortened at the cuff end?
thanks!

TT

It costs that much because he has to take them up from the shoulder. I strongly recommend not doing that. I won't bore you with the details of why it isn't a good idea, but it almost never comes out good Even if your arms are so short that you clear the buttons, there will be no placket, which will not look good. I'd invest that money into a new jacket that fits right.

bobbynardo

Reaction score
Usually tailors/alterers want to take in sleeves for the sleevehead/shoulder when sleeve has working cuffs. It's more labor intensive but worth it if your garment is high quality.

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a pair of heavier weight chinos tapered and thighs taken in. The fit is a little too tight. Can they be taken out again?

snk1800

Reaction score
1. What do I need my tailor to change for these pants to fit better? I feel like they are too baggy in the buttocks area. will slimming the thighs to the knee and increasing the taper from the knees down do the trick?

Yep, seems like is a bit baggy in the buttocks area.

Dr Evil

Reaction score
Short Q with a terrible pic. Sorry.
Tried this on today. First time with natural shoulders. Can this cut work for the dad bod or does it make me look even wider?

catlettsl

Reaction score
cd86493b24c648d2c28c4d57d9b97ac1.jpg

Other than letting out the sleeves how's the fit? SuSu Napoli for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got a pair of heavier weight chinos tapered and thighs taken in. The fit is a little too tight. Can they be taken out again?

Possibly. A tailor would be wise to leave an allowance in case the legs become bigger for some reason. Bring it back to the person who did it if possible.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cd86493b24c648d2c28c4d57d9b97ac1.jpg

Other than letting out the sleeves how's the fit? SuSu Napoli for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a good look as is, despite some minor fit issues. Yes, the sleeves, but also collar gap, pants probably too short, and the dubious trend of excess tapering at the waist (very slightly so).

Last edited:

catlettsl

Reaction score
Hey...thanks for the help. Oddly enough there has been no work done to the jacket. How would I get rid of the collar gap? I didnt notice it..could you point out what side. Also the shirt I have on is clearly too long however I definitely will have the sleeves let out.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right about the shirt sleeves. Anyway, the picture is at angle, and therefore the non-severe collar gap is only clear near the right shoulder. However, without body asymmetry or poor construction. presumably it's on both. A tailor should be to handle it regardless of the particulars.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads