• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

mikealvaa

Reaction score
Any know of a tailor in NYC that can replace the yellowed pockets/lining on these pants? Is is worth the cost? Idk how much something like this would run me.

IMG_1462.jpeg

zr3rs

Reaction score
Hi folks. Got this cashmere coat for very cheap the other day. Is a 42, and I'd normally be a 40, so I'm wondering if it would be worth having it taken in a bit
I do like the slightly oversized look these days, and I'm wearing a fairly soft shoulder sports coat in the pictures.
Wear as is (minus the slippers and jeans) or bring it to a tailor?
Wear as is, with the fairly wide shoulders it would look unbalanced if you take it in. I would not even casll it oversize.

Johnmdub

Reaction score
Wear as is, with the fairly wide shoulders it would look unbalanced if you take it in. I would not even casll it oversize.
Thanks. I do like it quite a bit, just as its both bigger than anything else I've had and more striking because of the colour, I've been a bit uncertain. I do like the bit of drama it brings to an outfit

Boggis

Reaction score
I have a pair of MTM trousers that are a little loose at the waist. The funny thing is the looseness is all at the back, the front feels fine. Is it possible to bring in the waist only at the back?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a pair of MTM trousers that are a little loose at the waist. The funny thing is the looseness is all at the back, the front feels fine. Is it possible to bring in the waist only at the back?
The waist is taken in at the center back seam. It may seem or feel like it is loose in the back because everyone has a bit of a "hollow" shape on your back just above the waist line.

stylecounsel1

Reaction score
TLDR: Does it fit OK or is it too long and shoulders too wide??

I got this preowned M&S suit and am a bit dissapointed with the overall look. I am unsure what the main problem is. Just didn't seem right in the mirror.

It might be an older model? It somehow makes me look old & frumpy. Length is 30 inches from BOC = covers butt + extra 1.75in. I am only 5.5 tall so my max length is usually 29.5 and ideally about 28-29in. I have pinned it up an inch to see if it it would be worth shortening?

The pockets are below the bottom button but the button stance is quite high so maybe it can work? (There is 8 inches from bottom of flap to hem, so 7in after shortening).

Length aside, the shoulders have a bad divot on RHS. The shoulders are 17.75in vs my other suits that are only 17in and it looks boxy as the shoulder pads are quite thick/square.

Would getting the shoulders narrowed help? Or maybe the padding can be changed to something softer? Perhaps a tailor could take up the slack in the sleeve and lose the divot at the same time? Will the lapels look too wide after?

Finally the trousers look baggy, which makes me look shorter, but if I slim them, will the sleeves look too baggy in comparison?

It fits ok in chest and waist and I like the fabric and buttons and the trousers are lined which is nice. I have long wanted a classic POW check suit so I'd really like to make it work.

Maybe it's not that bad?

Any comments on the fit and style in general would be appreciated as I am a novice trying to get smart on a budget and would value all opinions / feedback.

Last edited:

Astro85

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm looking for some feedback on how this suit fits. I'm a college student buying my first "real" suit so I don't have a ton of experience knowing what to look for. My main concerns are length of the jacket and whether or not the back fits ok (looks like I might have sloping shoulders?). There are some creases and wrinkles that I can get ironed out if the fit looks fine. Apologies for the bad lighting and I appreciate any inputs.

Attachments

• front.png
    front.png
    777.7 KB · Views: 112
  • back.png
    back.png
    688.5 KB · Views: 192
  • side.png
    side.png
    683.5 KB · Views: 190

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm looking for some feedback on how this suit fits. I'm a college student buying my first "real" suit so I don't have a ton of experience knowing what to look for. My main concerns are length of the jacket and whether or not the back fits ok (looks like I might have sloping shoulders?). There are some creases and wrinkles that I can get ironed out if the fit looks fine. Apologies for the bad lighting and I appreciate any inputs.
Looks good to me. Clean shoulders and sleeves. The back is decent in my opinion, the wrinkling is likely caused by your posture but it's nothing egregious. I'd say the length of the jacket is about right, you can go longer but certainly not shorter.

Can't quite see the trousers due to the lighting but they appear to fit well, albeit being on the slimmer side.

weatherbear

Reaction score
Assuming this is OTR? Not a bad starting point. Jacket is a tad short for my taste but you can get away with it. If this is a short jacket I’d try a regular

weatherbear

Reaction score
TLDR: Does it fit OK or is it too long and shoulders too wide??

I got this preowned M&S suit and am a bit dissapointed with the overall look. I am unsure what the main problem is. Just didn't seem right in the mirror.

It might be an older model? It somehow makes me look old & frumpy. Length is 30 inches from BOC = covers butt + extra 1.75in. I am only 5.5 tall so my max length is usually 29.5 and ideally about 28-29in. I have pinned it up an inch to see if it it would be worth shortening?

The pockets are below the bottom button but the button stance is quite high so maybe it can work? (There is 8 inches from bottom of flap to hem, so 7in after shortening).

Length aside, the shoulders have a bad divot on RHS. The shoulders are 17.75in vs my other suits that are only 17in and it looks boxy as the shoulder pads are quite thick/square.

Would getting the shoulders narrowed help? Or maybe the padding can be changed to something softer? Perhaps a tailor could take up the slack in the sleeve and lose the divot at the same time? Will the lapels look too wide after?

Finally the trousers look baggy, which makes me look shorter, but if I slim them, will the sleeves look too baggy in comparison?

It fits ok in chest and waist and I like the fabric and buttons and the trousers are lined which is nice. I have long wanted a classic POW check suit so I'd really like to make it work.

Maybe it's not that bad?

Any comments on the fit and style in general would be appreciated as I am a novice trying to get smart on a budget and would value all opinions / feedback.

I think I agree with you on the jacket length. Seems a little long on you. Jacket looks to be getting caught on your seat and bunching up in the lower back. From the side view, the balance seems a little off with the front a fair bit shorter than the back but it could be the camera. Looks like the front of the jacket is being “lifted up” if that makes sense.

Trousers don’t look too big to me. The seat is sagging a little but hard to say if the back rise needs adjustment or not. What’s standing out to me is they seem pretty aggressively tapered from the knee down which doesn’t match the rest of your silhouette. Pants will be easier to assess with jacket off and proper shoes on

stylecounsel1

Reaction score
I think I agree with you on the jacket length. Seems a little long on you. Jacket looks to be getting caught on your seat and bunching up in the lower back. From the side view, the balance seems a little off with the front a fair bit shorter than the back but it could be the camera. Looks like the front of the jacket is being “lifted up” if that makes sense.

Trousers don’t look too big to me. The seat is sagging a little but hard to say if the back rise needs adjustment or not. What’s standing out to me is they seem pretty aggressively tapered from the knee down which doesn’t match the rest of your silhouette. Pants will be easier to assess with jacket off and proper shoes on
Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't noticed the trousers taper but just measured the hems at only 6.75in wide. They must have been altered as there is 3in of spare fabric inside the seams. The trousers waist and seat need taking in about 2in and let out the bottoms.

For the jacket, do you think the photos where I pinned the length shorter make it short enough for my height? Does it look OK in terms of pocket distance and overall proportions?
My posture is quite S shaped causing the balance issue and rumple at the small of my back. The front of the jacket overhangs the back when laid flat. I don't think anything can be done about it but it's not much worse than my other suits.

I'm more bothered by the shoulder divot. Can it be fixed taking in the shoulders? Can they be given a softer look?

The point of the suit is to look and feel good. If the above alterations are done, will it look nice or at least be wearable?

I'm still not sure what is causing the old guy effect?

It is starting to look like a huge project. I'm wondering whether to give up on it but I don't like waste.

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
I'd love some tailor feedback on this shirt and what alterations would make it a better fit. To me, it seems roomy in the mid-back but I'm not sure what can be done besides darts. Also, I'm wondering if the upper back looks clean below the back of the collar or if future shirts could benefit from some tweaks in that area. Thank you! IMG_5224.jpeg IMG_5225.jpeg IMG_5226.jpeg IMG_5227.jpeg IMG_5228.jpeg IMG_5229.jpeg

rossyl

Reaction score
I spent some ££'s getting this altered.

One the jacket is a bit small.
Two the jacket feels very tight under the arm holes.
Three the tailor has apparently let out the jacket, but it now looks pretty bad across the back.
The arms look too tight at the top.

Shall I just scrap this. Or can it be saved.

If it can be saved, I'd really appreciate what guidance I can give to the tailor, as they might need it! Thank you.

Attachments

• PXL_20240219_182006351_copy_2458x2906.jpg
    PXL_20240219_182006351_copy_2458x2906.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 89
  • PXL_20240219_182013534.MP_copy_2458x2900.jpg
    PXL_20240219_182013534.MP_copy_2458x2900.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 88
  • PXL_20240219_182020211_copy_2458x2969.jpg
    PXL_20240219_182020211_copy_2458x2969.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 130
  • PXL_20240219_182026034_copy_2458x2855.jpg
    PXL_20240219_182026034_copy_2458x2855.jpg