• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

sp0tweld

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum and was looking for feedback on some MTM suits that I got from Black Friday. I read all I could about fit before I gave MTM a shot and I am hoping that I'm not way off. Any feedback would be welcome, thanks!

This one is from Thick as Thieves:

This one is from Indochino:

This one is a 36S JCrew Ludlow Fit, I have not hemmed the pants or adjusted the sleeves yet, wanted to ensure it fits well first.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the feedback a tailor. You're totally right about my shoulder and it seems so obvious now that you've pointed it out. If I slump my right shoulder to compensate the collars stack nicely. I had my roommate take a couple more pictures. The collar gapping is much more obvious now. They will remake it if the necessary alterations can't be done by a local tailor. What would you suggest about the pulling effect at the button? I followed the tutorials and my left shoulder is 1/4" lower, and my left hip is 1/2" higher. Also what needs to change about the pants? It seems like the crotch just isn't low enough. Thanks so much! [/quo on the trousers its one of two things. and your tailor needs to decide which os two things to do. to let out the thigh fork. or scoop out the seat. hard to explain.. i may do a tutorial on that.

soven

Reaction score
Hello, Had the first fitting for a 3 piece suit and would be great if I could get some feedback prior to the next fitting.

photo4Small_zps5ca7dd07.jpg

UntitledSmall_zpsb69739ed.png

photo6Small_zps90a314f3.jpg

couture-auction

Reaction score
Hello, I'm seeking advice from the tailors in this forum on what can be done to clean up the wrinkles my jacket has around the shoulder blades / arm holes. The sleeve pitch needs to be adjusted a little to get rid of the wrinkles on the sleeves but what should I ask my tailor to do to get rid of the wrinkles at the back of the shoulders? There is also a fold of fabric in front of the armhole. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks a tailor.

I have another quick question, what's the minimum acceptable distance from the hem of a jacket to the side pockets? (without flaps). My father just gave me an old sport coat from the eighties that is going to need extensive alterations (though it's my size, the 80's cut makes it look huge) and it's a bit long. The distance from the hem to the pockets is 10" and I'm wondering if 9" is acceptable. If not I may not even bother taking it to the tailor...

Also wondering if it's possible to turn a true 3 button coat into a 3-roll-2 if it's fused, because this thing would look much better that way...

9" is ok, unless you are a very tall person.
stay with the regular 3 button, it seldom works well.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again! At 5'7" I'm the opposite of a tall person...
lol8[1].gif

Sorry for bothering you so much lately but here's the outcome of my latest MTM jacket after shifting the shoulders:

The shoulders are now located where they should be (they didn't account for my low shoulder, though), and I don't want to have this jacket altered any more, just in case it gets messed up; I'm rather happy with the outcome. But for future commissions I'd like to play with measurements to make the jacket more flattering, so it would be interesting to know if there's something I can do to make the hips appear less wide. My tailor is pretty good at cutting and sewing but he doesn't seem to be that good of a fitter. As you can see, my right deltoid is protruding a bit from the sleeve; that way you can see the actual shape of my shoulders, and I'm wondering if you can see room there for extending them a bit (maybe half, or 3/4 of an inch) without looking awkward? Perhaps they would need to have a bit more slope as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had this John Varvatos oiled suede blazer for awhile now but never knew what this strap on the inside is for. The strap goes from the top of the inside right armhole across to the bottom of the inside left armhole. Can someone enlighten me?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My guess is that it allows you to sling the jacket over your shoulder like a satchel if it gets too warm so you don't have to carry it. But that's just a guess.

tomkd

Reaction score
Thanks Despos, my apologies for the slow response, but I'm finally back with some brighter photos. See below for the edited images.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My guess is that it allows you to sling the jacket over your shoulder like a satchel if it gets too warm so you don't have to carry it. But that's just a guess.

That makes sense, it's just weird I had never seen such a thing nor heard of it. Thanks for the input.

rdstour

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought a Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald, which has a narrower shoulder width than my usual jackets.
However, this jacket also happens to have more minimal padding than my other jackets.
I am very surprised that it still fits me as well.

Can someone help me figure out whether the shoulders of this suit are not well suited for me?

I've included a picture of me in the jacket, if anyone could take a look and critique, would be appreciated.

Sleeves are too short and will have to be lengthened.

Picture LOOKS OFF because my friend took it while he was sitting down.

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads