• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMG_0007.jpg

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Villa Antinori Rosso '08 was drinking fine again. I guess it would benefit from three more years or so (I really need to try some mature wine, have never had one so far.. will ask you guys for a rec again).

Now I've opened the bottle of Santa Cristina bianco (Umbria). Also by Antinori (I still don't quite get the role they play.. they seem to release like every 2nd wine in Italy.. didn't even know the il Bruciato Bolgheri was from them until last week). Nice nose, nice palate -- citrusy, fruity, refreshing and quite dry. The alcohol could be a little better integrated, but overalll I am quite pleased. Good QPR for 5-7€.

@Manton: Wasn't able to get ahold of the 3e Grand Cru last week (sold out, I guess they just had two bottles).
This week a 5e Grand Cru is on offer, 30€ too (Lynch-Moussas) and a 4e Grand Cru (Talbot, 30€). However, I'm more interested in the Talbot Connétable '07 for 15€. The price seems pretty good. Will definitely get a bottle. Maybe more, if anyone here had good experience with it.
Seems like they have a couple "premium" wines on discount every week. Quite a nice supermarket. Wine's rather expensive around here, so I enjoy the possibility to get decent wines for reasonable prices. Moreover, it narrows down the selection and makes it easier to choose from. ;)

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Bruciato. It's quite complex. Could be a little more refined, but maybe that's what you get for 15-20€. ;)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
2007 Elyse C'est Si Bon Naggiar. A great bottle with strong mocha notes.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
!!!

They're doing a recreation of the '76 Paris tasting at the shop near our house in late October. Tickets are $100 and they include all of the same wins, albeit contemporary vintages. 4 seats left. Worth the price? Wondering the next opportunity I'll have to sample a Mouton Rothschild.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
sure it's worth it.

Mouton in a weak vintage these days debuts at at least $400, in a strong vintage $1200.

I bet they will pour the 2007 which is the cheapest recent vintage.

Stag's Leap, if it's Cask 23, is often $200.

I think the judgement also featured Haut Brion, which is another expensive beast.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
OK, here was the lineup:

Stag's Leap Wine Cellars 1973 Château Mouton-Rothschild 1970
Ridge Vineyards Monte Bello 1971 Château Montrose 1970
Heitz Wine Cellars Martha's Vineyard 1970 Château Haut-Brion 1970
Clos Du Val Winery 1972 Château Leoville Las Cases 1971
Mayacamas Vineyards 1971
Freemark Abbey Winery 1969

Chateau Montelena 1973 Meursault Charmes Roulot 1973
Chalone Vineyard 1974 Beaune Clos des Mouches Joseph Drouhin 1973
Spring Mountain Vineyard 1973 Batard-Montrachet Ramonet-Prudhon 1973
Freemark Abbey Winery 1972 Puligny-Montrachet Les Pucelles Domaine Leflaive 1972
Veedercrest Vineyards 1972
David Bruce Winery 1973

The french reds are all crazy expensive today. The American reds not so much, but Ridge, SL and Martha's are all hovering around $200 on release. Mayacamas is more like $60 and the others less.

For the American chards, I don't think any of those are above $50 today, though the Veedercrest is not a wine I know.

The french whites are less impressive than the reds but you do have a Leflaive, which is the #2 white burg producer, one of the great Grand Cru vinyards (Batard), from a great producer, that's probably a $300-$400 bottle. Roulot is a great producer though the wine appears to be village level. Clos de Mouches is one of the very most famous 1er crus.

So, that's totally worth $100 IMO

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

!!!
They're doing a recreation of the '76 Paris tasting at the shop near our house in late October. Tickets are $100 and they include all of the same wins, albeit contemporary vintages. 4 seats left. Worth the price? Wondering the next opportunity I'll have to sample a Mouton Rothschild.

That sounds like a pretty awesome deal!

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sure it's worth it.
Mouton in a weak vintage these days debuts at at least $400, in a strong vintage $1200.
I bet they will pour the 2007 which is the cheapest recent vintage.
Stag's Leap, if it's Cask 23, is often $200.
I think the judgement also featured Haut Brion, which is another expensive beast.

Hmm. "Featuring" leads me to believe that not all of the wines will be there. Still got a ticket.

Last edited:

gherrmann

Reaction score

there was one from LI, I think it was called Millbrook

If it was Millbrook, it's not actually from LI -- it's from the Hudson River Valley. Incidentally, it's owned by the same people who bought Williams-Selyem about fifteen years ago.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This was drinking perfectly:

2012-09-26164221.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads