1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. reidd

reidd Well-Known Member

On Cellar Tracker why do people bother to post reviews of corked wine?

If its corked, then obviously its not good. Putting up a 63 point score for a wine and simply telling everyone that the bottle you had was corked doesn't help anyone.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  2. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

it's because people are stupid

1 person likes this.
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Same reason people post crap like this:

That one still baffles me.

4. reidd

reidd Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Weird but pretty good wine I had over the weekend. Gamay from the Tourain region made in a biodynamic style. Unfiltered with an aggressively yeasty, funky nose. Very juicy on the palate though.

1 person likes this.
  5. Girardian

Girardian Well-Known Member

Had a Molly Dooker 2006 Carnival of Love this weekend. Lots of forward fruit, the heat had died down, very lively on the front palate and complex as Ausie wines (well, not P.G., but most Ausie wines) go. Lots of time left on this one. No rush here, this bottle was rewarding but still flet premature.

6. Piobaire

Did you do The Shake?

7. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Many wines last night, won't describe them all.

Memorable was a 1999 Tondonia white Rioja. This is the one that gomey chickened out on at Narcissa because he thought it would be oxy. Well, it wasn't. Fantastic wine, you pussy.

Then three '95s: Cos, Latour and La Mission Haut Brion.

First ever LMHB for me despite many Haut Brions over the years. All bottles were flawless and showing well. I would put the Cos in 3rd place despite the fact that I brought it. But it was not a distant third, however it was outclassed by the other two. On its own, it would have shone more brightly I think.

Latour was a baby. IMO, it needed 10 more years to fully integrate. Guessing. But it was not the least bit harsh and I would not consider that "infanticide." Its owner said that he wanted to see how it was doing. Interestingly, the Latour's owner thought the Cos was drinking as less mature than the Latour. Did not seem so to me, but tastes differ.

LMHB was the winner for me. The most advanced bottle, I thought and interestingly the least fruity, the most flinty and gravelly. There was almost a charcoal note, which sounds crazy, I can't really describe it. It was so not fruity or sweet, in the best possible way, so crazy dry and spicy. I just loved it. The nose was huge on that one. The Cos nose was a bit weak by comparison but it woke up on the palate. I am really itching to try another LMHB and wish I had some in my cellar.

I think that when the race is fully run, the Latour will end up the clear winner, but last night, for me at least, the LMHB won.

Dinner was at Betony and since one of us (not me) knew the somm, we were taken care of in grand style.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    2 people like this.
  8. ehkay

ehkay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Guiberteau: intense, never had it before. Really nice for a summer evening. Biting acidity and minerality.

Trevallon: fabulous. one of the best things I've had recently.

9. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

One of my local shops outright gave me a bottle of 1971 Beausejour Pomerol. This should have been terrible but it was actually quite decent. Over the hill, definitely, but not spoiled and plenty of interesting tertiary. Completely crystal clear and not even that bricky.

Slewfoot is right, Bordeaux is indestructible.

1 person likes this.
  10. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

A place I go to regularly had this BTG frequently for a while last year, and I've had it a few times. I don't have much experience with older whites, but this one wasn't for me. I thought it tasted like mushrooms, and I don't really like mushrooms. The bottles were fine -- good storage, freshly opened -- and people who know more than I do and whose opinions respect had reactions similar to yours.

I've loved everything I've had from Guiberteau, both the reds and the whites.

11. Piobaire

I know this will elicit some chuckles but spent the evening with the distributor that carries all the big names in Paso except Booker. There's a new bottling from Linne coming out and it was fantastic. The 2012 Law "Sagacious" is young but drinking really well if you see it. Overpriced though, IMO, at about $60.

12. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

What part am I supposed to chuckle at?

13. Piobaire

Because I like Paso wines quite a bit, and not everyone does, so being pleased to spend time with the guy running that particular book might make some folks chuckle.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  14. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

Piob like to start posts with disclaimers.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  15. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

2002 Mongeard-Mugneret Les Orveax, lovely.

1 person likes this.
  16. vinouspleasure

vinouspleasure Well-Known Member

we had our first bottle of 2010 Gilles Robin Crozes-Hermitage Cuvée Albéric Bouvet that we picked up for around $24 from cinderella in 2013. It was really terrific, fruit forward, spicy, some orange peel. Drinks like a much more expensive wine,

17. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Well-Known Member

With dinner last night, Perrier-Jouet Grand Brut followed by 99 Beaucastel. It's definitely in a very good drinking window right now, grip has eased and some mature flavors are just starting to creep in.

1 person likes this.
  18. supplychainman

supplychainman Well-Known Member

Went by Kermit Lynch the the other day and walked away with .... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

Had to get a wine locker for myself. The apartment was too small. I live in SF so its expensive but was able to find a 24 case storage locker spot for $24/month.

1 person likes this.
  20. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

Also was able to get 20% of some GoldenEye Confluence and Gowan. Bottle 3 bottles each.