• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Those bastards used to ship here, then stopped. Literally cut off the tap. I guess they didnt want my $1k a month.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they do want it. There is a state level, nation wide, lobbying attempt by the distributors to stop things like consumers buying from out of state, big retailers, direct from wine makers, etc. The middle men do not like getting cut out and they have legislation to back them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-tier_system_(alcohol_distribution)

Never forget the Puritan influence in the US.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alcohol distributors in the U.S. are truly a plague.

In my opinion, the worst impact (and there are many) is how significantly it limits access to "interesting" beer and wine. The whole thing is a damn racket, and pretty much leaves an entire state's drinking decisions to the hands of a few distributors seeking to maximize their profits.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In NC we are pretty lucky with wine. I have access to a ton of great allocated producers and prices are generally good. We can also take delivery of out of state shipments.

When it comes to liquor though, this state is awful. Total state monopoly so nobody can bring in anything interesting. Someone has to petition the state government to have a label imported. It has gotten much worse lately since bourbon has exploded, since the allocated producers would much rather sell into states where retailers can set their own prices rather than having to stick to a predetermined state one.

Last edited:

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On that note, I’m still chugging on the Brunello train. Interesting to compare these two, although on separate nights so not side by side. The “basic” Brunello from Caparzo while not quite as refined in the finish as the single vineyard, acquitted itself very well. For less than half the price of the Casa, I Am planning on putting quite a bit of this in my cellar.

829444C3-3697-4314-8ABA-CBAA49556640.jpeg

49BB1506-2257-4D34-B11C-225C9510DA5F.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Please don't make me spell it out...

ezev

Reaction score
Tonight. I had to have a friend fly over my favorite cab from California.

Matsu, El Recio
Cakebread Cab

4E735ADF-1674-4423-93B3-435CD6C99C70.jpeg

9F82A1BC-1531-42E0-8399-707035803C5C.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So it’s on. If I get on the website fast enough I have a three pack of 2016, Parker 100 points, Scarecrow waiting for me. Let’s see if I can win that lottery.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads