• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Huntsman house check??

I meant to say that I don't like it, it could be Huntsman, I have no idea.
Can you recommend me a dark brown herringbone? I don't know if Scabal has anything, LL made a 400 gram shetland but I don't want to get it and pay a higher price,I think it might be available from others.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can you recommend me a dark brown herringbone? I don't know if Scabal has anything, LL made a 400 gram shetland but I don't want to get it and pay a higher price,I think it might be available from others.

Be careful and get a swatch first. The brown hb from bookster has green in it, on the computer it looks pure brown.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Would this be a barleycorn?

053f7d98.jpg

Tweedy

Reaction score
This is a barleycorn Harris Tweed jacket, Donegal tweed is more randomly flecked
with various colours : )

and a close up of a barleycorn tweed ..

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So what is the stuff I posted? This is a pretty cheap jacket in cotton, but I'd love to replace it in wool.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a fleckless Donegal.

@Forex: have you checked out Dugdale Brothers? They have a great selection of brown herringbone tweeds.

@ Unbelragazzo: the difference between a barleycorn and a Donegal is that a donegal is a plain weave, with contrasting warp and weft, whereas a barleycorn has a more intricate pattern:

aizan

Reaction score
does anyone know where i can order some charcoal tweed with flecks of intense blue, yellow, red, and green?

banis

Reaction score

You may find some good fabrics here for moderate prices. I've bought from here and was thinking of ordering something else that is on the bottom picture.:slayer:
hb24b.jpg

1249138015_8LCn4-XL.jpg

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Mine will be made up in December. What's your jacket going to be? I find myself gravitating towards a Huntsman-like one button with hacking pockets.

I can't remember exactly the specs I made he he, but a 3 roll 2.5 button (I think this is the correct term), wide notch lapels, patch pockets and side vents. Nothing too extreme or country-like.

Where are you sending yours to be made up?

Tweedy

Reaction score

A few more Harris Tweed images from me : )

Last edited:

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You may find some good fabrics here for moderate prices. I've bought from here and was thinking of ordering something else that is on the bottom picture.:slayer:
hb24b.jpg

1249138015_8LCn4-XL.jpg

Banis,
I like the first two. Where did you get the red check tweed? Same source?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads