• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
There are a couple ways to fix a pull. This is the easiest I've found for myself
1 - Pass a piece of fine and waxed thread through the loop of the pull (you may need to put it on a needle first, if the loop is small).
2 - Insert the needle into the hole that the pull created, or at least get as close as possible to the center point between the two ends of the pull loop.
3 - With the needle halfway through, pass both ends of the thread through the eye of the needle (or add the remaining end, in the same direction, if one is already threaded).
4 - Draw the needle the rest of the way through. Once the hole of the needle is through, use the thread to draw rather than the needle, so that one end doesn't slip back through the fabric.
5 - Once the thread comes up against the loop of the pull, gently draw it through to the back side.
6 - Let go of one end of the thread and draw on the other to take it out of the now reversed pull.
You can reverse step 2 & 3, but the way listed lets you use shorter thread so there is less friction, though that may only matter with certain fabrics. If the fabric has a backing, you'll need to pass the needle back to the front some distance away from the pull that is further away than the pull loop is long. If that's the case, waxing the thread can help make sure that you don't pull the loop even more out the back than it was originally pulled out the front. Go slow and gentle.

Good info, thanks kindly!

Yeah, I'll let you judge by the inundation of your PM box whether that was a bad pass or not.

Judging by the tumbleweeds in my inbox, I guess it was a smart pass haha.

Randomore

Reaction score
Who makes the Eddie Bauer edition ford bag? This thing is crazy high quality. Isn't there a club too? Lol

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Wait, are you saying you like? Or are you making fun, either way, this kicks ass.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Nothin' but praise man, that thing is sick. As soon as I saw the maker I was searching for an appropriate image to photoshop it into. Saved your pic, cut the tie out from it, flipped it, lowered the opacity, erased away the surface it was resting on. Mana from heaven.

In other news, I decided to take most of what I last posted back (the adidas, timberlands, and the Truzzi shirt. Kept the Mantellassi's). I was excited, money back in my pocket. And then...

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Who makes the Eddie Bauer edition ford bag? This thing is crazy high quality. Isn't there a club too? Lol

Mulholland brothers. You can join the club in this thread :thumbs-up: Apparently quite a few have popped up at the thrifts the members here frequent (myself included).

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wait, are you saying you like? Or are you making fun, either way, this kicks ass. :slayer:

The tag says "A SIMBA IMPORT". Simba is a character in The Lion King.

Samuel Smith

Reaction score

Is it a duffel? I have laptop and briefcase been looking for duffel for awhile.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the Harris Tweed overcoat in a proper setting.

It's going to make someone pretty happy, I think, once a few minor fixes are made.

Measurements:

p2p: 24
Sleeve (raglan): seem to be about 24-24.5, measuring from what seems to be the shoulder
Shoulder: I'd say about 18, plus or minus half an inch
Length: about 44

First off, there's an amalgamated workers tag in the garment, but the bottom is cut off, so I can't tell if it's an early one or the later one. But this Harris Tweed patch seems to say 30s, right?

Here's the Wallach's patch.

I thought the lining was a goner, but not at all. The only thing that needs to be done is re-piping (or attaching or whatever) around the arm holes. The lining itself is in pretty great shape with only a tiny hole or two.

The pockets need to be sewn up.

This is the only issue that seems not easy to fix, but it doesn't seem like a huge deal, either.

Here are my questions. Should I get these repairs done myself, which I imagine won't cost more than $20, or just sell it as is? Is this vintagey enough to sign up for an etsy account and park this and another tweed on there, or should I just take it to ebay (or one of you guys)?

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
Considering my middle name isn't "Spoo" I'm not sure I can pull this off. It's still about an 3/4" long so not sure how that would throw the balance off.

But, but that would look dope as **** in an orange mustang :confused:

:)

green_machine

Reaction score

Nothin' but praise man, that thing is sick. As soon as I saw the maker I was searching for an appropriate image to photoshop it into. Saved your pic, cut the tie out from it, flipped it, lowered the opacity, erased away the surface it was resting on. Mana from heaven.

In other news, I decided to take most of what I last posted back (the adidas, timberlands, and the Truzzi shirt. Kept the Mantellassi's). I was excited, money back in my pocket. And then...

Unless you paid a very high price, why would you take back the truzzi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics