• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really thought it would be more obvious, I guess sarcasm doesn't transfer well to text, I guess I could have put it in italics

Use the Internet Sarcasm Scale by putting a number from (0) to (10) (not sarcastic to completely sarcastic) after whatever you write.

One find today:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rough Day:

Yves Saint Laurent Corduroy SC 39R

TR - should be easy flip on ebay:

Last edited:

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's lunch time pick ups.

I know virtually nothing about watches, other than names. Anyone hazard a guess on the authenticity of this Tag Heuer? Its not running, but looks great. I'll have the battery swapped out tomorrow and see if that's all it needs.

tag1.jpg

tag2.jpg

tag.jpg

Faconnable plaid jacket. Italian made Goldberg design. I think by Cantarelli. Tagged a large.

fac1.jpg

fac.jpg

fac2.jpg

fac3.jpg

BB Golden Fleece 3/2 sack. Probably for TOF.

gfgp1.jpg

gfgp2.jpg

gfgp.jpg

Oh. And a mint Zegna tie that I would bet was worn with the Faconnable jacket.

Last edited:

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Today's lunch time pick ups.
I know virtually nothing about watches, other than names. Anyone hazard a guess on the authenticity of this Tag Heuer? Its not running, but looks great. I'll have the battery swapped out tomorrow and see if that's all it needs.
tag1.jpg
Sorry man, not the real deal.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

Having gone thrifting with DM7 more than once, I can tell you a good majority of his finds come from hitting the shops. Things practically jump off the rack towards him as he walks by. Well, not really, but he's a great example of what's possible when you're in a target rich environment and know what you're looking for. He has deep knowledge of brands and a keen eye to spot them. I'm sure anyone else that has hit the racks with him would agree.

+1. When I went thrifting with him, he pulled a pair of Brioni (!) shoes off a rack in a store that had literally nothing else. I think they were $3.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
What gives it away?

My apologies for not expanding on my initial answer.

A bunch of things... That green pip on the bezel at 12 was the first flag, haven't seen that before. The numerals on the face at 12 appear to be 1 piece, which I believe are separate on the real deal. Also dual indices around the face and chapter ring are redundant and something I also haven't seen on that model. The crown's knurling appears to be rather generic / too fine in comparison with the real crown (and already appears to be brassing in your picture?). The back appears to be press-fit instead of screw down (instant fail usually), and the back cover appears to be void of any serial numbers. That's what I see off the top of my head.

Check out the white faced model over here and compare.

Last edited:

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My apologies for not expanding on my initial answer.

A bunch of things... That green pip on the bezel at 12 was the first flag, haven't seen that before. The numerals on the face at 12 appear to be 1 piece, which I believe are separate on the real deal. Also dual indices around the face and chapter ring are redundant and something I also haven't seen on that model. The crown's knurling appears to be rather generic / too fine in comparison with the real crown (and already appears to be brassing in your picture?). The back appears to be press-fit instead of screw down (instant fail usually), and the back cover appears to be void of any serial numbers. That's what I see off the top of my head.

Check out the white faced model over here and compare.

I thought that model also always included Swiss Made a the bottom, which it is lacking. I could be wrong however, Tag isn't really my thing.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, this place is NOT what I remember it to be. I can't honestly say it's been fun coming back. I don't have time for this. I'm still wondering why Oxxford is hard to sell. Today I picked up a really nice NIB full set of french curves. I'd been planning on buying some soon too. I love finding the non clothing items.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Man, this place is NOT what I remember it to be. I can't honestly say it's been fun coming back. I don't have time for this. I'm still wondering why Oxxford is hard to sell. Today I picked up a really nice NIB full set of french curves. I'd been planning on buying some soon too. I love finding the non clothing items.

I think Oxxford is a hard sale because there's just so much of it around. The company has been around for so long and a lot of the older generation folk who didn't like buying foreign made stuff but had money bought it. It's tough finding recent stuff - most of the Oxxford I find is at least mid 90's or older. A good portion of that is pre 1985-ish. Styling isn
t for everyone. Most of it is cut very boxy and most of the stuff made before 2000-ish has the "fish-mouth" lapels, which not everyone is a fan of (myself included). The recent stuff I find does go for a bit more, but I think folks don't like digging through hundreds of ancient Oxxford listings to find that one nice, recent piece.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to check out that store since I live fairly close. Is it worth an hour drive?
I ordered online, so I couldn't tell you. Adam was very helpful, though. I'd like to think that if it was an hour from me I'd go, but I've never been to O'Connell's and it's just over an hour away (http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/)

shadesofbeige

Reaction score
Had one great stop today, the thrift gods have been smiling lately.

One of my best finds ever, Gorgeous RLPL sportcoat - 42L. All the boxes checked: 3-roll-2, ticket pocket, double vented.

Then a partially lined, recent Oxxford Onwentsia in a 43 T? Only problem is it's missing a button. Should be an easy fix, they're just black plastic. Single vent.

Last is this awesome Gucci by Zegna suit, made in Switzerland. 42R, double vented. Not as strong a pinstripe as the first photo shows.

All tentatively available
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads