• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sincerely hope this is utter sarcasm.
puzzled.gif

its not

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see the points on both sides. What I DON'T see is belaboring the point further, so long as EVERYONE keeps their responses to DM7 in PM (as requested).

On to what we're all here for: My luck changed this morning. Nothing DM7 legendary, but still probably one of my best hauls. Deets and hopefully pics later.

Shiny

Reaction score
GMMcL,
Can I get one kick in :deadhorse: before we move on to another non thrift related topic?

The opinions expressed in the following are those of the author, and do not reflect in any way those of the styleforum community of which he is a member:

When DM7 started posting his finds there was considerable excitement amongst followers of this thread. How can he come up with so much grail level stuff?! I know that I PM’d him on 1 or 2 of his early suit finds that was never answered. However, it has become clear that he’s buying stuff in bulk from Saks or a major retailer/reseller. I think he has hooked up some posters here, but he never even responded to my PMs so he’s pretty much persona non grata in my book. I think that people have caught on and his recent posts have been taken with shrugged shoulders. Recently, DM7 posted a bunch of primo stuff and he was asking, “Where’s my props?…You guys have high standards!”. Well, not really, we just all caught on.

I don’t think the Spoo analogy is apt because he imparts his considerable knowledge on brands on many occasions.

DM7 wants to sell, more power to him. There are places here for him to do that. I for one will not buy based on my interactions (or lack of) with him. I guess mom was right, you only get one chance to make a first impression.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GMMcL,
Can I get one kick in :deadhorse: before we move on to another non thrift related topic?
The opinions expressed in the following are those of the author, and do not reflect in any way those of the styleforum community of which he is a member:
When DM7 started posting his finds there was considerable excitement amongst followers of this thread. How can he come up with so much grail level stuff?! I know that I PM’d him on 1 or 2 of his early suit finds that was never answered. However, it has become clear that he’s buying stuff in bulk from Saks or a major retailer/reseller. I think he has hooked up some posters here, but he never even responded to my PMs so he’s pretty much persona non grata in my book. I think that people have caught on and his recent posts have been taken with shrugged shoulders. Recently, DM7 posted a bunch of primo stuff and he was asking, “Where’s my props?…You guys have high standards!”. Well, not really, we just all caught on.
I don’t think the Spoo analogy is apt because he imparts his considerable knowledge on brands on many occasions.
DM7 wants to sell, more power to him. There are places here for him to do that. I for one will not buy based on my interactions (or lack of) with him. I guess mom was right, you only get one chance to make a first impression.

lol if you think he isn't thrifting the vast majority of what he posts i got a few massive fedex boxes here filled w/ his primo stuff that has thrift store tags on them

rayxlui

Reaction score
Why the hate? He's offering to hook people up with some legit stuff, just not at the thrift level price. Probably still at a significant discount, bu even at a 70% discount, most of the stuff would be considered "priced high". Its the discount thread, never had to be OMGAD I GOT A KITON AT 5 DOLLARS discount.

But OMGAD I GOT A BOGOGOLI COAT TODAY FOR FO DOLLAH.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why the hate? He's offering to hook people up with some legit stuff, just not at the thrift level price. Probably still at a significant discount, bu even at a 70% discount, most of the stuff would be considered "priced high". Its the discount thread, never had to be OMGAD I GOT A KITON AT 5 DOLLARS discount.
But OMGAD I GOT A BOGOGOLI COAT TODAY FOR FO DOLLAH.

What size is the Boglioli?

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift fit w/ new boots

J Crew Merino sweater thrifted by me
Brioni shirt from goneAwol
60's vintage Oscar de la Renta tie ($30 price tag still in it) thrifted by me
BB blackwatch flannel pants, thrifted by me
Alden #8 shell cordovan boots
spare tire, earned the old fashioned way

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will say this. I have gotten to know DM7 quite well over the past few weeks / months and there is nothing about his activities that indicate he is doing anything different from our own bargain hunting activities. We would all be doing what he is doing given time and inclination. He is a very resourceful bargain hunter no questions asked.

I do not see the same level of criticism leveled to others that offer a proxy. Hilarious!

If another member offered the same proxy deal, nobody would have shaken two ***** about it other than perhaps lukewarm applause and a truckload of PM's. Perhaps the more paranoid amongst us will presume the proxy prices include an implicit markup - although I doubt it in DM7's case. The prices quoted are not bad at all and pretty reasonable.

I got a PM from a fellow that suggested a proxy from TJMaxx involving a Kiton suit in my size. He was not screwing around, showed me pics and everything. Sadly the suit was $1.5K but I still think he was a jolly good fellow for taking the time out to contact me. I think we should appreciate those that do favors, not condemn them. To raise issues like "oh thats not thrifting" or "he is trying to peddle his **** here rather than take a dump in eBay" is not necessary. That is just jumping the gun.

I am well prepared to defend someone whom is willing to cut some folks a deal.

I have had my issues with the concept of reselling at large markup in this thread. I have had severe issues with people overpricing basic thrift finds. I have had major issues with unfair trades of the kind "your good for my ****". I went ape **** and wrote a page of random waffle highlighting my thoughts. I am not saying my essay conveying my random consciousness made any difference, but I have noticed a significant toning down of "I found this beat to **** unvented low gorge 3 button 20 year old dated ugly box cut Kiton, you guys can have it for $400".

The concept of bargain hunting is very simple - getting stuff by hook or by crook for way below what department stores want.

Is going to Saks Off Fifth / last call not bargain hunting?

Is a consignment store not bargain hunting when the said item purchased is 90% below retail?

Is TJMaxx or Marshalls not bargain hunting?

How can thrifting be considered bargain hunting but a high scale resale store liquidation / estate sale / wardrobe clearance operation not be placed in the same category?

Should we proceed and now not count any thrift find costing more than 40bucks as a non bargain and thus non brag-worthy / not esteemed enough for posting here?.

Example: I purchased a pair of monks from none other than Mr Girling himself from a Goodwill for an agonizing $130. Should that find be called non bargain / non thrifting when the pricing cunts at Goodwill exercised more business savvy than I bargained for? I was furious with Goodwill since they had six friggin boxes of donated monks by that British stalwart! I had to leave five pairs behind. Hard cheese for me, but bargain yes or no despite the markup?

I feel this thread is a bargain hunting thread, full stop. That means any purchase well below retail, not from eBay, but from a brick and mortar store is fair game.

This is the thread title folks: The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Nuff Zed

/ rant

Last edited:

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Thrift fit w/ new boots

I'd probably go blue shirt and a slightly darker tie, but looks nice, and pants look dark enough not to give off a Christmas vibe.

Incidentally, where'd you get the boots? Alden shop?

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd probably go blue shirt and a slightly darker tie, but looks nice, and pants look dark enough not to give off a Christmas vibe.

Incidentally, where'd you get the boots? Alden shop?

Thanks. I got them at Alden of Carmel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads