• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sunglasses got me to thinking about what I have acquired for my personal use in the past year or so while thrifting. I decided to take a quick mental inventory of what I have collected so far. The result of my ruminations is listed below, in order of quantity. I think I got everything. I have yet to thrift any gloves.

• Ties (by a long shot!) but oddly, no Bows.
  • Shirts / Dress and Casual full button
  • Odd pants
  • Dress shoes
  • Pocket squares
  • Sunglasses
  • Casual shoes / all including canvas
  • Belts
  • Sport Coats / Blazers
  • Shirts / Polo style
  • Suits
  • Sweaters
  • Outerwear / Overcoats, rain wear, leather and other casual jackets
  • Winter scarves
  • Cuff links/stud sets
  • Shorts
  • Hats
  • Socks (NWT)

I was a bit surprised to see Sport Coats / Blazers so far down the list, given how many I have!

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

The sunglasses got me to thinking about what I have acquired for my personal use in the past year or so while thrifting. I decided to take a quick mental inventory of what I have collected so far. The result of my ruminations is listed below, in order of quantity. I think I got everything.
I have yet to thrift any gloves.

Hey Dig, I occasionally find nice gloves and if you'd like me to keep an eye out, let me know. I left about 4 pairs of new driving gloves a couple of weeks ago because they were a bit pricey and I don't own a weekend car yet.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey Dig, I occasionally find nice gloves and if you'd like me to keep an eye out, let me know. I left about 4 pairs of new driving gloves a couple of weeks ago because they were a bit pricey and I don't own a weekend car yet.

I appreciate it but I think the reason that I don't buy gloves is that my mother used to buy me so many over the years that I never wore and now that I've found them, I don't need to buy any...unless something awesome shows up! :lol:

Post what you find, though and who knows?

Here's my 'weekend car' (ignore the earlier thrifted dad jeans, I've since moved on!)

P8120004.jpg

...and this is what I found when I was doing a bit of underhood work yesterday. :fu:

IMG_20120726_150502.jpg

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I appreciate it but I think the reason that I don't buy gloves is that my mother used to buy me so many over the years that I never wore and now that I've found them, I don't need to buy any...unless something awesome shows up! :lol:
Post what you find, though and who knows?
Here's my 'weekend car' (ignore the earlier thrifted dad jeans, I've since moved on!)
P8120004.jpg

...and this is what I found when I was doing a bit of underhood work yesterday. :fu:
IMG_20120726_150502.jpg

Ouch! I really want to get something similar. I'm even considering taking an automotive course to learn how to properly rebuild a "fun" car just to have on the weekends.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wooo Hooo, one of my favorite spots started putting out winter stuff already! It's on like

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think light-wash jeans are making a comeback though; might be time to start wearing them again. I think that's a good look.

madmacs

Reaction score
IMG_20120726_150502.jpg

Dat's not gonna be cheap... hmmm German car ya say well lets just add a zero to the wrong end of the price... went through all that with a VW over here... not fun...

VirtruviusR

Reaction score
The internet enjoys playing cruel jokes on me. See next post for actual info. Sorry about the double post, computers acting all funkay.

Last edited:

VirtruviusR

Reaction score
Argh, this is the third time I've written a nice lengthy post about my thrifting finds recently, only to have it fail on me and provide a lovely error notification and not post. grumble grumble grumble. WHY YOU HATE ME INTERNETS?!
ffffuuuu.gif

Edit: I'll just rewrite it here since this post worked (I kinda expected this one to not post either so my bad)....

Haven't had much time for thrifting recently but managed to find a few things.

Old Burberry's tagged DB jacket in size 42. Some idiot sharpied out the "s" in the tag. As I understand it the older Burberry stuff, while not nearly as desirable at the newer London tagged stuff, still is a decent find and fairly easy sale, correct?

Traded this and the Dior trench I stupidly purchased with the president of a student organization I am in for a lovely cigar, some scotch and a promise of many drinks when we're out doing things. Didn't make much money, but he was extremely happy, and who can say no to a good cigar, scotch and making a friends day? Glad that noob mistake of a trench worked itself out quite well.

More recently-

Shirts:

Burberry London check shirt in sz 15 1/2. Spread collar and my neck-size (and correct sleeve length!), just need to have that ridiculously billowy waist taken in if I keep it. Seems to be practically new, no wear that I could discern, no stains, rips, threadbare patches or anything. Was pretty happy to find a nice piece that would actually fit me.

Available if anyone's interested, as I need money more than a businessy shirt that I won't get much use out of.

Ralph Lauren Yarmouth BD shirt. Again, sz 15 1/2 (must have been my lucky day) with a subtle herringbone weave. Very nice and light with no collar stains! Seems nearly new as well and I get the feeling they came form the same person. Not sure how good a find this is/which line this belongs to, but if I get it taken in at the waist/sides this is definitely a great staple piece that I'd be happy wearing anyway.

Sport Coats/Blazers:

Brown Corduroy PRL sportcoat. Leather buttons and elbow patches, patch pockets, working/surgeon cuffs and a button-lapel (not sure what the correct term for this is). Single vent. Size M, great condition and available. Such a cool piece IMHO, I wish the damn thing fit me but alas it doesn't.

Also found a newish (as in current label) Zara Man blazer/suit jacket. Sz 40R. Fits me quite well and the sleeves are actually the correct length, which I found strange since I'm normally a 38L true-size. Need to have the waist taken in just a tad. Couldn't pass up such a good condition, wearable (for me) piece at $8.
Probably will get some decent usage out of this as a beater coat for sloppy formal/semi-formal events where I wouldn't want to risk ruining nicer things.

Shoes:

Church's "custom grade" patent loafers/slippers. Size 11D. Need to remove some cotton cushioning some idiot stuck in there (because there's no way they came like that from Churches). Soles are a bit beat, but should have some life in them (no soft spots or holes or anything). Needs some cleaning, polishing and some time in shoe trees and then they'll be fit for new ownership (as I I'm a size 9.5 :( ). Sadness, as I'd love to have a pair of my own patent "opera slippers" (as I believe these types of shoes are called?).

Decent haul I think, but any comments/criticism welcome

Last edited:

VirtruviusR

Reaction score
Indeed it is, why do you ask?

Edit: Watch in Burberry DB pic is the Fendi, in all the other pictures it's just my beater invicta diver's watch (can't remember the exact model name for the life of me)

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown Corduroy PRL sportcoat. Leather buttons and elbow patches, patch pockets, working/surgeon cuffs and a button-lapel (not sure what the correct term for this is). Single vent. Size M, great condition and available. Such a cool piece IMHO, I wish the damn thing fit me but alas it doesn't.

What does it say up at the back of the collar? Made in Italy?

VirtruviusR

Reaction score
Unfortunately no, Made in Macau
ffffuuuu.gif

Wasn't sure if that would kill this as a good purchase but it was such an interesting piece! Haha maybe I should listen to my head more next time. If I can't sell it it's probably a perfect fit for my dad and he needs some new clothes in his wardrobe anyway.

Edit: I don't know why I feel the compulsion to justify all my thrifting finds, I guess after that first crappy experience I'm always paranoid as hell that I'm wasting my money on something I had noobishly thought was decent but actually is a dime a dozen.... le sigh, I really need to read this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads