• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchytoo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
another vintage Bike,Dawes made in England.Campy hubs,Renolds Tubing,Original Wright leather saddle...**** even has the original english tires

and these guys

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Those are some of the nicer BB ties I've seen. Perhaps I shouldn't pass on all the BB ties I see? I couldn't sell one at auction for $5, which has left a sour taste for them with me.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those are some of the nicer BB ties I've seen. Perhaps I shouldn't pass on all the BB ties I see? I couldn't sell one at auction for $5, which has left a sour taste for them with me.

Put 3 of them together...they sell pretty well.

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had some great thrifting these past 2 days, at least for my neck of the woods.

I'm heading back to work on Monday after 2 weeks off so was able to get one daytime GW thrift in on Friday. As luck would have it a woman brought out a shopping cart full of ties. After sorting through the ugly, the stained and the faked (Dolce & Gabena) I rescued 2 Ferragmos. One with organ grinder monkeys (no pic, at the cleaners), and the other a real dog and pony show.
P1050270.jpg

Then today my wife and I took our 2 youngest daughters (we're already inculcating them with an esprit de thrift) to SA and a different GW.
A nice private label Harry Rosen, my size so a keeper.
Two questions:
1. Anyone know what this fabric is called? It's a crepe-like cotton, very thin.
2. Any of the canucks know who does the Harry Rosen branded stuff? The tag is completely faded.
P1050280.jpg

Pal Zileri, my size.
P1050286.jpg

Then at GW, manna from heaven. The first stop in the door is the shoe area, usually an abomination. Seeing mud encrustred shoes/boots is not uncommon. Anyway today there's 4 pairs of AEs! My wife gave me a strange look as a I staggered by with them all, as I'm trying to find a cart. Still need to look into them but they're probably not high end but should more than fund the family thrift trip and give me a little extra to play with.

2 pair of brown suede Delrays, sz 8 & 9.
Strangely they both fit but the 8s will probably go on ebay. Some wear to the sole of the 8 but the inside is beautiful. The 9s are resoled.
P1050288.jpg

Next up, Fairhaven wing tips. Sz 9, resoled. I'd keep 'em but I already have some Dack's (re-branded Cheaney's I think) so will probably ebay these.
P1050289.jpg

Finally, a guilty pleasure. A guayabera and in pastel too! And just a little too tight. I'm in heaven. :nodding:
P1050287.jpg

Left a pair of black AE Westgates, in my size. A huge scuff on the toe, almost could be considered a slice.

And all of this while juggling the fashion needs of my wife, a 6 year old and a 9 year old.

I'm off for a well earned rest.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great hauls guys... wish it was raining stuff like that here, but it's pretty dry.

Went out today... 0 for the first 4 stores I hit. REALLY slow out there. Stopped at the place close to me on the way home on a lark, even though it rarely has anything.

I was excited to find a VERY recent Canali single breasted peak lapel jacket... then especially excited to find the matching pants a few minutes later. Unfortunately when I went to check out I noticed the 3/4" tear next to one of the jacket pockets so I left it.

I did pick up several ties including a recent floral HF tie, a Talbott madras, and 3 made in Scotland wool tartan ties... One of them is double ended with 4 different tartans (front and back of each end)... Weird.

As I was looking through the shirts I found my first ever RLPL. Unfortunately it's a women's size 6 nailhead blazer.

Everything's available and I'll take pics tomorrow.

frenchytoo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
@Faceofboh
+1 on the Farragamos i find their designs infinitely more interesting then the Hermes,although Hermes pays the bills better.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Grabbed this as well because it was $5. Nataku is our local camping supplies expert right? Worth the pickup? USA made, pretty good shape but worn on the inside a bit.

Cool find! Guitar Preacher is right about resale, though. Unless it's a Minty early Jansport D2 or D3, external frame packs can be a tougher sale. Doesn't mean it's impossible. That's a nice piece. Cordura and likely from the late 70's. Camp Trails made some decent stuff in their day. I'd say if you clean it up, you might be able to get $40 if you do a BINOBO on the bay for 30 days.

pnutpug: You'd be surprised at how well 70's-early 80's gear sells. Early Winters, vintage North Face, Marmot Mountain Works, Alpine Designs, etc all go for really good prices. The quality was great then and despite technological advances, the basics have pretty much stayed the same, so people like to spring for the better made stuff from the late 70's when I think the companies were at their peak.

This is speaking of most mainstream stuff. When we're talking about stuff like Arctyrex, then we're on another level.

DM7 - Those Simon Millers are awesome! You'll get some $$$ for those! The company is pretty new and is based in LA. 

Between DM7's NWT current label Isaia overcoats and insane Vacca pieces and Ick's mindblowing NWT haul (WTFBBQ, NWT Aldens!?!), I'm kind of embarrassed to post my finds from today.

This morning I was pretty thrilled to find this:

Among other items not really worth picturing, I got the following:

- Mint Pottery Barn ladder bookshelf. Still for sale online for $350
- Recent North Face orange 700 fill down vest
- Recent Coach leather hobo bag for the wife
- Mischa Lampert knit hat for the wife
- New Henri Bendel cosmetics for the wife

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one month challenge. Everything must go. Wish me luck
frown.gif

This is almost everything. Also an embarrassing glimpse at my ghetto light setup.

Got any size 7, 7.5 D or E in that shoe pile?

Put 3 of them together...they sell pretty well.

That's a great idea. I have about 6 ugly BB ties on Ebay. If they don't sell, Ima try that.

I had some great thrifting these past 2 days, at least for my neck of the woods.
I'm heading back to work on Monday after 2 weeks off so was able to get one daytime GW thrift in on Friday. As luck would have it a woman brought out a shopping cart full of ties. After sorting through the ugly, the stained and the faked (Dolce & Gabena) I rescued 2 Ferragmos. One with organ grinder monkeys (no pic, at the cleaners), and the other a real dog and pony show.
P1050270.jpg

That is the balls!!!

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote: Highly doubt it
fight[1].gif
lol

Quote:
thrift fit before alterations...
burberry blazer- 7
bb slim fit oxford 3
no label tie 1
pants that are 1/2 of bb suit 3.50
j crew suede loafers 20
IMO, everything looks really short, sleeve length on shirt, jacket sleeve length, jacket length in general and pants length. Like 1" on the jacket sleeve, 2" on the jacket length and an 1" on the pants length???

Last edited:

mjt73106

Reaction score
another vintage Bike,Dawes made in England.Campy hubs,Renolds Tubing,Original Wright leather saddle...**** even has the original english tires

and these guys
Nice score on the Dawes! A very good steel lugged frame and the brooks seat looks like a B17.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Got any size 7, 7.5 D or E in that shoe pile?

Highly doubt it :fence: lol

AE Hanover 7D

Fight!

There's also a pair of faconnable loafers in 7D and HS Trask in 7 or 7.5D that are both in good condition that I keep passing on at my favorite store :inlove: They are $3. If either of you two wants them at cost, I will pick them up next time I hit that store if they are still available.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice score on the Dawes! A very good steel lugged frame and the brooks seat looks like a B17.

I wish there were ever any nice bikes at my thrifts... There's never even ANY mens bikes, much less good ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads