• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DM7, I challenge you 
fight%5B1%5D.gif

(as a side note, I've dealt with DM7 before and he's a really good guy.  I don't think he deserves the **** he gets)

All NWT T&A's

All NWT - Brioni, Barba, Isaia

Preowned but mint Brioni's

Preowned but mint - Luciano Barbera, Borrelli, Truzzi

Preowned and near mint, but need washed - Brioni x2, Borrelli

NWT Wool

T&A x3, Ricci x2, Brioni, Charvetx3

Spoo?

Alden x2

Realized after that the pants are riddled with moth holes and the jacket has a very tiny moth hole

Made by St Andrews. Side-vented, found a few moth holes after

Pure cashmere, side vented and flawless

Pure cashmere, center vented and flawless

Silk and cashmere, side vented and flawless

Wool side-vented Brioni, probably never worn (forgot a pic of the label)

Pure cashmere Gianlucu Isaia, mint, side-vented, and ****. (forgot a pic of the label again)

Shouldn't be difficult to get the stains off this...

Probably never worn, and very recent looking

And of course I saved the best for last.  Pure cashmere exterior, with some sort of removable fur lining.  The details are incredible, but unfortunately due to the nature of the thick weave fabric, there's a few snags that aren't too noticeable.  Anyone have an idea of what the resale value of this could be?

Okay, to answer some anticipated questions.  
-No, it wasn't from a thrift store, but everything except the jackets were basically thrift prices.  The jackets weren't far from thrift prices, but overall this was a BIG cash investment
-No, this is not my full time job, but at the prices I was paying it was too good of a deal to pass.  
-Everything is about a 41-42L, 15"-16" neck, 11.5B shoes, and literally everything fits me just about perfectly.  I'll probably keep a lot of it.

Like I said, this cost me a lot.  For the time, effort, and investment it is taking, I need to make a good profit.  I'm only going to sell stuff for prices reasonably close to market values.  Sorry, but there's just no way I can afford to proxy or give stuff away, and I don't have to closet space for trades.  Please don't pm unless you can make a fair offer.  I'll probably end up making a large B&S thread for this stuff.

Man, I would give my left nut for that Isaia if it was my size.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is absolutely, totally not a flea. As others have said, they don't sit still for photos. Every flea I've ever seen, and I've seen a few, is black, or nearly so.
You need to get that shirt out of your house yesterday until you can figure out what that bugger is. If it were me, I would preserve it and nurture it and keep it happy until you run across the next asshole buyer on eBay who complains SNAD or somesuch, then I would ship it to him gratis as a token of your sincere regret for a transaction gone south.
As for freezing, I do that with every woolen item from a thrift store to kill any moths or moth larvae that might be lurking. Seventy-two hours in the freezer should be sufficient, based on my Internet research. I only started doing this a few months ago, however, and so I am behind, but when winter hits, I plan to put all my woolens in the garage for a few days. I've never had a problem with moths, but I've read enough nightmare accounts. To break out the fall wardrobe and find it devastated would be, well, devastating.
Every reputable source I've seen says that freezing temperatures will kill moths and larvae, but I'm not sure about any other insects, so good luck with whatever it is. You might want to consider pitching that shirt. I've never seen a Woolrich cool enough to justify bedbugs or ticks or flesh-eating cockroaches.

+5,000

Doing it now!

DM7, I challenge you
fight[1].gif

(as a side note, I've dealt with DM7 before and he's a really good guy. I don't think he deserves the **** he gets)

All NWT T&A's

NWT Wool

Spoo?

Alden x2

Realized after that the pants are riddled with moth holes and the jacket has a very tiny moth hole

Pure cashmere Gianlucu Isaia, mint, side-vented, and ****. (forgot a pic of the label again)

And of course I saved the best for last. Pure cashmere exterior, with some sort of removable fur lining. The details are incredible, but unfortunately due to the nature of the thick weave fabric, there's a few snags that aren't too noticeable. Anyone have an idea of what the resale value of this could be?

-No, it wasn't from a thrift store, but everything except the jackets were basically thrift prices. The jackets weren't far from thrift prices, but overall this was a BIG cash investment
-No, this is not my full time job, but at the prices I was paying it was too good of a deal to pass.
-Everything is about a 41-42L, 15"-16" neck, 11.5B shoes, and literally everything fits me just about perfectly. I'll probably keep a lot of it.

Like I said, this cost me a lot. For the time, effort, and investment it is taking, I need to make a good profit. I'm only going to sell stuff for prices reasonably close to market values. Sorry, but there's just no way I can afford to proxy or give stuff away, and I don't have to closet space for trades. Please don't pm unless you can make a fair offer. I'll probably end up making a large B&S thread for this stuff.

Holy bejesus! + 3,000!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Everett464

Reaction score
Does anyone wear a 12.5 A? I just came up wih an immaculate pair of AE Chesters. Like worn once immaculate. Let me know, or itll be the bay.

Last edited:

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could, but they might charge you. They may also confiscate if it's fake. You can try to sell it, but that's on you. It's very illegal to sell replicas.
The band is what had me leaning towards fake in the first place.
Wasn't sure if all Cartier's had that. Good catch.
I have a good relationship with my jewler although I was worried about it getting confiscated, I was not going to try to sell it through my jeweler but through some of the websites that sell replicas I have seen similar replica models go for a couple hundred.

What is off about the band?

I also thought that not all of them had that? This tank is a very small womans watch so I didn't know if that would have any affect on it having the jewel.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it fussed? I made a mistake few weeks ago buying a similar blazer. That thing was fussed up the ass and it didn't even fit me, and I totally over paid for it...From my understanding, those are the older ones that were made prior to 1999. They are lower quality. I usually pass on these in the wild. But if it fits you, then it's all good.
no not at all it just had a small hole on the back that I have sewed up myself and it looks fine, they gave me a big discount because of that though
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

It seems of mediocre quality I was more worried about fit though and it fits like a glove so I am happy, also it is part cashmere
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

on another note does anyone know and good tailors in the San Fransisco bay area the tailor I have been using just doesn't do good enough work to justify the price, I want the waist on the blazer nipped a little bit and the sleeves lengthened about half an inch

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
ick578- Congrats on the fantastic haul. Glad to hear alot of it is going into your waredrobe.

Nataku knows infinite amounts more about gear then I but in my experience external frame packs can be hard to move. Especially external frame day packs. If you bought it for yourself I would say it is a bargain. I love the colors on that one.

Grabbed this as well because it was $5. Nataku is our local camping supplies expert right? Worth the pickup? USA made, pretty good shape but worn on the inside a bit.

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I know Corneliani makes the suits, but who did the Made in Italy RL blue label shirts?

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I know Corneliani makes the suits, but who did the Made in Italy RL blue label shirts?

I'm not sure, but I love them. The 14.5s fit me really well and they have great buttons. I'd be interested in who makes them as well. Are they even still made? I have looked all over RL's site several times and I've never found them.

MattR

Reaction score

DM7, I challenge you 
fight%5B1%5D.gif

(as a side note, I've dealt with DM7 before and he's a really good guy.  I don't think he deserves the **** he gets)

All NWT T&A's

NWT Wool

Spoo?

Alden x2

And of course I saved the best for last.  Pure cashmere exterior, with some sort of removable fur lining.  The details are incredible, but unfortunately due to the nature of the thick weave fabric, there's a few snags that aren't too noticeable.  Anyone have an idea of what the resale value of this could be?

-No, it wasn't from a thrift store, but everything except the jackets were basically thrift prices.  The jackets weren't far from thrift prices, but overall this was a BIG cash investment
-Everything is about a 41-42L, 15"-16" neck, 11.5B shoes, and literally everything fits me just about perfectly.  I'll probably keep a lot of it.

Like I said, this cost me a lot.  For the time, effort, and investment it is taking, I need to make a good profit.  I'm only going to sell stuff for prices reasonably close to market values.  Sorry, but there's just no way I can afford to proxy or give stuff away, and I don't have to closet space for trades.  Please don't pm unless you can make a fair offer.  I'll probably end up making a large B&S thread for this stuff.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
Am headed into a work-intensive, family-intensive couple-three months. Wife gave me all day hall pass (birthday coming up!) to pillage my Connecticut Thrifting Grounds. Highlights below (there's more...you consigners know who you are). Thank YOU, Nutmeg State! Also, I hit 7 stores. I know which our thrift thread peers hit first because I go first and hit the tie rack to gauge what will be left in the rest of the store. If it's 346, Bert Pulitzer, NEO, Alfani and Beene left, I know I'm too late. If I find that Paul Stuart, Charvet and Polo tie, I spend much more time examining a lot of rackage. Just sayin' you guys show ur thrift acumen at the tie rack.

Plus Catside told me he was in SF this weekend, hahahahah so I knew which stores I needed to open haahahaha. (We'll get together next time I come down, and hang....would love to buddy!!!!)

Real quick, let us all please take a moment of silence for the 3 Salvatore Ferragamo 100% silk suits (sigh) I had to leave behind because of ticky-tack minor pulls and little abrasions. A few too many miles on the odometer but unicorn finds. And for my first Sulka tie find, except with what can only be described as a s#1tstain right down the middle. And the Italy Zegna tie that was just perfectly awesome in fabric and craftsmanship but in color, pattern and vintage was so brutal that my dead grandfather wouldn't be caught dead wearing. Amen.

OK, I talk a lot here, on this bragging thread. So, pix. Oh, real quick: I never find Oxxford. The Oxxford suit (there was pants, not pictured) was my first Oxxford sighting ever, save a jacket for which I traded with dahl5yankees. I know u guys see that stuff out there but us here in New England (I think I can speak for most of us except those Cambridge regulars) it is uncommon if not rare. Oh one more thing...Versace suit with them pink pinstripes is totally BRIANPORE size:

Not a grail find, not even a particularly awesome find, but I'm happy because I paid 99 cents and it fills a nice gap in my fall-with-tweed-coat lineup...you don't see these every day.

A lot of this is going to consignment but if ur interested in something and you want measurements and want to make an offer, I'll send to thrifters first before shipping off to the people running the eBay machine. PM!

(who says summer is dry for the thrifting circuit?)

Last edited:

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both ick and dm: all I can say is WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads