• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pnutpug had a good idea of putting questionable items in a bag and throwing it in the freezer for a couple of days.

That is absolutely, totally not a flea. As others have said, they don't sit still for photos. Every flea I've ever seen, and I've seen a few, is black, or nearly so.

You need to get that shirt out of your house yesterday until you can figure out what that bugger is. If it were me, I would preserve it and nurture it and keep it happy until you run across the next asshole buyer on eBay who complains SNAD or somesuch, then I would ship it to him gratis as a token of your sincere regret for a transaction gone south.

As for freezing, I do that with every woolen item from a thrift store to kill any moths or moth larvae that might be lurking. Seventy-two hours in the freezer should be sufficient, based on my Internet research. I only started doing this a few months ago, however, and so I am behind, but when winter hits, I plan to put all my woolens in the garage for a few days. I've never had a problem with moths, but I've read enough nightmare accounts. To break out the fall wardrobe and find it devastated would be, well, devastating.

Every reputable source I've seen says that freezing temperatures will kill moths and larvae, but I'm not sure about any other insects, so good luck with whatever it is. You might want to consider pitching that shirt. I've never seen a Woolrich cool enough to justify bedbugs or ticks or flesh-eating cockroaches.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is absolutely, totally not a flea. As others have said, they don't sit still for photos. Every flea I've ever seen, and I've seen a few, is black, or nearly so.
You need to get that shirt out of your house yesterday until you can figure out what that bugger is. If it were me, I would preserve it and nurture it and keep it happy until you run across the next asshole buyer on eBay who complains SNAD or somesuch, then I would ship it to him gratis as a token of your sincere regret for a transaction gone south.
As for freezing, I do that with every woolen item from a thrift store to kill any moths or moth larvae that might be lurking. Seventy-two hours in the freezer should be sufficient, based on my Internet research. I only started doing this a few months ago, however, and so I am behind, but when winter hits, I plan to put all my woolens in the garage for a few days. I've never had a problem with moths, but I've read enough nightmare accounts. To break out the fall wardrobe and find it devastated would be, well, devastating.
Every reputable source I've seen says that freezing temperatures will kill moths and larvae, but I'm not sure about any other insects, so good luck with whatever it is. You might want to consider pitching that shirt. I've never seen a Woolrich cool enough to justify bedbugs or ticks or flesh-eating cockroaches.

What he said^

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Cool basics a la Acne and APC, though the pricepoint is slightly lower. No comment on the quality of construction as I've never seen a piece, but I think it's generally appreciated amongst the SW&D crowd.

Thanks, was actively considering throwing up your signal haha.

Brace yourselves for a dm7'ish post... except better

lurker[1].gif

EDIT: Wait, does this mean you're going to ***** people out for criticizing your prom fit, or you've got a great haul?

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Was it alive/moving when you took the picture? A flea wouldn't probably wait for you to snap a picture. They're usually quick and will jump. If it is in fact a flea, humans are terrible hosts and they probably won't take well to you/your house unless you have a pet.
I don't know about bed bugs honestly, but it doesn't look too similar to anything google images pulled up for me.

No, it was dead, but if it came from an infested household who knows what other presents are waiting to hatch. I'll get it dry cleaned, as apparently bed bugs are a real issue in this region.

Also, if anyone finds a functional electric burr (coffee) grinder, let me know please! Still bummed out about the box I found for one that just had some silly food chopper in it :(

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it was dead, but if it came from an infested household who knows what other presents are waiting to hatch. I'll get it dry cleaned, as apparently bed bugs are a real issue in this region.

Looks like an ant to me. Bed bugs are much smaller from what I've read.

goneAWOL

Reaction score
DM7, I challenge you
fight[1].gif

(as a side note, I've dealt with DM7 before and he's a really good guy. I don't think he deserves the **** he gets)

All NWT T&A's

All NWT - Brioni, Barba, Isaia

Preowned but mint Brioni's

Preowned but mint - Luciano Barbera, Borrelli, Truzzi

Preowned and near mint, but need washed - Brioni x2, Borrelli

NWT Wool

T&A x3, Ricci x2, Brioni, Charvetx3

Spoo?

Alden x2

Realized after that the pants are riddled with moth holes and the jacket has a very tiny moth hole

Made by St Andrews. Side-vented, found a few moth holes after

Pure cashmere, side vented and flawless

Pure cashmere, center vented and flawless

Silk and cashmere, side vented and flawless

Wool side-vented Brioni, probably never worn (forgot a pic of the label)

Pure cashmere Gianlucu Isaia, mint, side-vented, and ****. (forgot a pic of the label again)

Shouldn't be difficult to get the stains off this...

Probably never worn, and very recent looking

And of course I saved the best for last. Pure cashmere exterior, with some sort of removable fur lining. The details are incredible, but unfortunately due to the nature of the thick weave fabric, there's a few snags that aren't too noticeable. Anyone have an idea of what the resale value of this could be?

Okay, to answer some anticipated questions.
-No, it wasn't from a thrift store, but everything except the jackets were basically thrift prices. The jackets weren't far from thrift prices, but overall this was a BIG cash investment
-No, this is not my full time job, but at the prices I was paying it was too good of a deal to pass.
-Everything is about a 41-42L, 15"-16" neck, 11.5B shoes, and literally everything fits me just about perfectly. I'll probably keep a lot of it.

Like I said, this cost me a lot. For the time, effort, and investment it is taking, I need to make a good profit. I'm only going to sell stuff for prices reasonably close to market values. Sorry, but there's just no way I can afford to proxy or give stuff away, and I don't have to closet space for trades. Please don't pm unless you can make a fair offer. I'll probably end up making a large B&S thread for this stuff.

ilikethelights

Reaction score
Damn ick!

Made a run this morning bright and early to check out a brand new Goodwill and hit a few old ones. Someone's collection of Polo University Club suits and a ton of really dated Polo ties filled most of the racks but came out with this:

Hickey Freeman Boardroom Collection (probably a 38R, have to measure yet. 2 button, flat front cuffed pants) AVAILABLE

NWT Polo collar sweater thing, size M (what's the official name for these things?) AVAILABLE

Knit Polo tie I think someone would be into AVAILABLE

Robert Talbott NW(old looking)T plaid bowtie (might hang on to this one)

Grabbed this as well because it was $5. Nataku is our local camping supplies expert right? Worth the pickup? USA made, pretty good shape but worn on the inside a bit.

Also couldn't resist grabbing Use Your Illusion I & II on cassette :slayer:

Last edited:

mistermidwester

Reaction score

Depends if it fits me.
What kind of bug is this? Just found it on the woolrich shirt. I don't want flees :crazy:

From my eye, it looks like a carpet beetle larvae. They will take apart a wool shirt in no time, so clean that thing ASAP and don't let it near your other wool/silk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads