• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife calls you "that guy who bought those shoes so you could afford some just like them!"
cheers.gif

I'm not sure what she calls me?
shog[1].gif

Haha! Yeah, they are sweet shoes. Glad you got some that fit you!

Shiny

Reaction score
As long as we're one the subject of shoe care, can some other glue substitute for Shoe Goo? I've got some topys that are starting to separate from my soles. I can't find my shoe goo tube and didn't want to go the Xmart to pick some up.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Passed on three unvented Zegna Soft SCs (42-44 I believe) and a navy Zegna Soft silk/wool suit in my size, but with just enough wear on the cuffs to make it impossible to get the sleeves let out. Bummer.

Oh well, here's last night's Thrift Fit: Front Row at Toronto's Alternative Fashion Week Edition (note: photo taken at home).

Shirt: Comme Des Garçons / Fred Perry
Pants: PRL (80% off at outlet)

MattR

Reaction score

Got to the office and opened the case. Turns out its a Wurlitzer (Conn Stencil) Low Pitch Alto Sax. It's the 1914 patent and the serial indicates it is from 1917. I couldn't see any structural damage, but will need a good cleaning and probably new pads. 

I'm stoked. Pics later.

:slayer::slayer::slayer:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CottonDockers: LOVE the tie. Nice fit.

5 stores between meetings. Lots of passes. Only pickup: Pringle made in Scotland burgundy cableknit. Good condition if you ignore the pilling (no holes or pulls). Looks to be in the L/XL range. Available.

Passed on the following. Proxies available via PM.

RLPL full boot in chestnut, Jhodpur style (strap around the back)? 9.5, but they fit me and I'm normally a 10.5. $500 (YIKES!)
Gitman Bros peak lapel white or offwhite shirt in 16.5. They wanted $12
BB purple label white with beautiful burgundy and pink stripes, spread collar, 15.5. They wanted $15
Ferragamo light blue, possibly micro houndstooth. Can't recall size. They wanted $20.
Hugo Boss Baldeserini light blue with pale blue windowpane. They wanted $20.
AE double kilted slip ons with braided, knotted laces, light brown. Uppers and inners in good condition (though one had an orthotic insert that seemed glued to the tongue. Can't recall the model name. size 8.5 (Brianpore?). They wanted $15.

They were all nice (the RLPL boots -- :drool: -- and the BB shirt, especially), and probably decent prices for what they are, but nothing I needed and wasn't willing to take the risk on a blind proxy. Let me know if anyone's interested.

EDIT: The RLPL boots were at Marshall's, btw. Not at a thrift. The rest of the stuff was from an "upscale" thrift which has more consignment pricing.

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy hell...this was at a thrift store?!?! If so, someone is certainly learning what's valuable. Also, if they were tagged 9.5 and fit like a 10.5, maybe they were European sized?

5 stores between meetings. Lots of passes. Only pickup: Pringle made in Scotland burgundy cableknit. Good condition if you ignore the pilling (no holes or pulls). Looks to be in the
RLPL full boot in chestnut, Jhodpur style (strap around the back)? 9.5, but they fit me and I'm normally a 10.5. $500 (YIKES!)

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score

5 stores between meetings. Lots of passes. Only pickup: Pringle made in Scotland burgundy cableknit. Good condition if you ignore the pilling (no holes or pulls). Looks to be in the L/XL range. Available.

Passed on the following. Proxies available via PM.

Gitman Bros peak lapel white or offwhite shirt in 16.5. They wanted $12
BB purple label white with beautiful burgundy and pink stripes, spread collar, 15.5. They wanted $15
Ferragamo light blue, possibly micro houndstooth. Can't recall size. They wanted $20.
Hugo Boss Baldeserini light blue with pale blue windowpane. They wanted $20.
AE double kilted slip ons with braided, knotted laces, light brown. Uppers and inners in good condition (though one had an orthotic insert that seemed glued to the tongue. Can't recall the model name. size 8.5 (Brianpore?). They wanted $15.

They were all nice (the RLPL boots --
drool.gif
-- and the BB shirt, especially), and probably decent prices for what they are, but nothing I needed and wasn't willing to take the risk on a blind proxy. Let me know if anyone's interested.

Thanks, but going to be a full size too big (even that 8.5 is small)!

If anyone wants some NWT Hickey Freeman Stuff or Bobby Jones Polo's, get at me ASAP. Prices are going low low lower.....

Last edited:

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
I went to a couple of places and picked up a few things. Here's the highlights (along with some shoes that I picked up in OKC):

^^^ BB Custom Tailored Blue Blazer (has the client's name printed on a tag inside one of the breast pockets). Single-vented, working surgeon's cuffs. Made in USA. Measures like a 48 R or so.

I also found two pairs of NWOT charcoal gray Italian-made (possibly Corneliani?) POLO by Ralph Lauren pants. 30 and 31 x unhemmed. (Not pictured.)

^^^ Jil Sander pants. Made in Italy. 32 x 32 or so. Traded for at a buy / sell / trade consignment shop.

^^^ L-R:

POLO by Ralph Lauren tan penny loafers. Size not marked (perhaps 8 1/2 - 9 or so). Made in Maine. EDIT: I am a size 10 1/2 C and I tried these on to get an idea of their size. My foot fits with just the VERY tip of my middle toe (my longest toe) touching the inside of the toe box and the heel is slightly too wide for me. I THINK THAT THESE ARE MORE ACCURATELY A 10 D OR POSSIBLY A 10 1/2 D.
Alden cognac tassel loafers. Size 10 1/2 C/E.
Brooks Brothers black penny loafers. Size 9 1/2 D.

L-R:

Allen Edmonds black Park Avenue captoe oxfords. Size 11 E.
Allen Edmonds black Bridgeton tassel loafers. Size 8 1/2 B.
Bass white bucks. Size 12 M. BRAND NEW.

Everything is AVAILABLE.

Last edited:

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but going to be a full size too big (even that 8.5 is small)!

If anyone wants some NWT Hickey Freeman Stuff or Bobby Jones Polo's, get at me ASAP. Prices are going low low lower.....

I'm trying to justify that 40 S cashmere SC, but I probably can't.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JILL SANDER INSANITY UP IN THIS PIECE LATELY!!!

Some great finds there man, very nice. I'd be all over those Sander's and PRL pennies if either fit me. Very nice.

I went to a couple of places and picked up a few things. Here's the highlights (along with some shoes that I picked up in OKC):

^^^ BB Custom Tailored Blue Blazer (has the client's name printed on a tag inside one of the breast pockets). Single-vented, working surgeon's cuffs. Measures like a 48 R or so.

I also found two pairs of NWOT charcoal gray Italian-made (possibly Corneliani?) POLO by Ralph Lauren pants. 30 and 31 x unhemmed. (Not pictured.)

^^^ Jil Sander pants. 32 x 32 or so. Traded for at a buy / sell / trade consignment shop.

^^^ L-R:

POLO by Ralph Lauren tan penny loafers. Size not marked (perhaps 8 1/2 - 9 or so). Made in Maine.

L-R:

Everything is AVAILABLE.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^^ BB Custom Tailored Blue Blazer (has the client's name printed on a tag inside one of the breast pockets). Single-vented, working surgeon's cuffs. Measures like a 48 R or so.

^^^ Jil Sander pants. 32 x 32 or so. Traded for at a buy / sell / trade consignment shop.

^^^ L-R:

POLO by Ralph Lauren tan penny loafers. Size not marked (perhaps 8 1/2 - 9 or so). Made in Maine.

L-R:

Everything is AVAILABLE.

Wow! Nice haul! Those Jil Sander pants should do well. Is that Brooks Brothers cotton? I want one like that (that color) in cotton / linen / silk and unstructured SOOO bad.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Holy hell...this was at a thrift store?!?!  If so, someone is certainly learning what's valuable. Also, if they were tagged 9.5 and fit like a 10.5, maybe they were European sized?

Haha! No, sorry. Marshalls. On clearance, though, marked down to $495 from $1995, or something else absurd. Edited post accordingly.

^^^ BB Custom Tailored Blue Blazer (has the client's name printed on a tag inside one of the breast pockets).  Single-vented, working surgeon's cuffs.  Measures like a 48 R or so.
Alden cognac tassel loafers.  Size 10 1/2 C/E.

Martin Greenfield was doing most of their custom tailored stuff, but that might just have been BBGF. Nice find, imho.
Daddy likey the Aldens. Will PM.

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
I decided to stick my foot in the POLO by Ralph Lauren tan penny loafers to try to get an idea of their size since they're unmarked...

^^^ L-R:

POLO by Ralph Lauren tan penny loafers. Size not marked (perhaps 8 1/2 - 9 or so). Made in Maine. EDIT: I am a size 10 1/2 C and I tried these on to get an idea of their size. My foot fits with just the VERY tip of my middle toe (my longest toe) touching the inside of the toe box and the heel is slightly too wide for me. I THINK THAT THESE ARE MORE ACCURATELY A 10 D OR POSSIBLY A 10 1/2 D.

@ Grendel: I checked the pockets and there is no fabric content tag, but it feels like a wool / silk blend. It's smooth, light, and cool to the touch. Also, I just noticed it has hacking pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads