• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everett464

Reaction score
:laugh:
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I'm calling BS. How often is it that Jil Sander, Huntsman, Poole, is posted to this thread, much less from the same store?!

Pics or it didn't happen.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ I'm not sure how that would look just hanging flat. Maybe you could get a hanger with clips and find a way to position that in front? Or just photograph the jacket really well and have a picture of the pants laid out somewhere in with the rest of the pictures? I've never really like the pants on the shoulder shot (I've seen it done on eBay and Etsy, though) because it doesn't really give you an idea of how the pants fit and it just ends up covering up the jacket. It shows the material, but that's about it.

I'll give it a shot and post some sample pics

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:slayer:
When I went to LA, I hit up two stores. First one I found 6 grail worthy things, Jil Sander Tailor made, H. Huntsman, Poole. etc. Then there was Armani and those etc. Second stop, found croc JM weston. It's seriously legit down there. Those weren't even rich neighborhoods.
This is why I don't know why there is any doubt about if he thrifts his stuff. It's a goldmine down there! Can't wait till I can go back and actually thrift where the big boys go.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
I think I met a near-future participant on this thread today. This dude was...what's the expression? "Slamming racks" with me today on a mission, we basically followed each other around an SA and I finally had to ask "You on the thrift thread at SF?"

"Whut?" he responds. But he didn't look at me like an axe murderer, either.

So we go on and on for 10 minutes about finds, traded some favorite spots in our area, and this guy is one of us but not among us, yet. He would be so totally into trading but not into flipping. Told him to join, read the thread, and STFU for a while because "some people" can be hard on n00bs, ha.

It's really awkward to ask people IRL if they're on this thread...but I run into some pretty suspicious looking characters out there...

DeadBoy

Reaction score
I think I met a near-future participant on this thread today. This dude was...what's the expression? "Slamming racks" with me today on a mission, we basically followed each other around an SA and I finally had to ask "You on the thrift thread at SF?"
"Whut?" he responds. But he didn't look at me like an axe murderer, either.
So we go on and on for 10 minutes about finds, traded some favorite spots in our area, and this guy is one of us but not among us, yet. He would be so totally into trading but not into flipping. Told him to join, read the thread, and STFU for a while because "some people" can be hard on n00bs, ha.
It's really awkward to ask people IRL if they're on this thread...but I run into some pretty suspicious looking characters out there...

+1 I love impromptu conversations with (sane) people at thrift shops, had a very pleasant game of thrift find one-upsmanship with a couple of fellows in the suit section recently.

If the people have good taste, it's awesome. If they don't, well... even better.

By the way, passed on a 40R Samuelsohn blazer yesterday... nice navy jacket with metal buttons, single vented but with lapels on the wide-ish side. Can go pick it up if anyone wants a proxy.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick thrift fit then back to the grind; need to make up for yesterday's sloth here at work. There are two purposes of today's fit: 1. See whether I'm improving on the square selection. I suspect I'm still too matchy-matchy, but would very much appreciate input. 2. Document what this suit looked like BEFORE I started monkeying with it. At some point, I'm going to start experimenting with my own tailoring: I plan to increase the waist suppression, narrow the arm cuff opening, and narrow the trousers. And if all else fails, this suit isn't far off from my dry cleaner's size, so I can always give it to him for some "good will" points. (100% thrifted/ebayed/traded here) Suit: Zegna Trofeo, Made in Switzerland. Shirt: Thomas Pink Links: unknown brand, traded from catside Tie: Brioni Shoes: Cole Haan (Nike era, but they're the only brown captoes I have)

Lirum

Reaction score
So people can offer you things we find. If I only wore stuff I found I'd have a much more limited closet... By trading we are able to help each other out.

Whoah.

Okay, so, I should pick up good stuff even if it doesn't fit me then? For instance, I just left a Piatelli shirt, Georgio Armani shirt, Facconable polo, and a Hickey Freeman blazer (or suit coat, how do I know?). All of which were too big. What stuff is worth taking a picture of and placing in the B/S and trading forum, I mean, where is the line drawn?

edit: oh, right, the thread: Polo RL Rugby shirt, and my first wool tie. Cool.

Last edited:

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i see your point,but i dont find this stuff every day,not at all.the items you mentioned have been in the last three to four weeks.i wish it was everyday.ps the painting wasnt me,i think that was TBEN? i found the photograph of the schooner,if thats what you meant.
for example its been pretty dry since friday,except finding that Herman Miller chair on the curb but tahts not thrifting,and the little lamp today.
anyway i will let it go because i wanna keep posting,and i want him to keep posting too,never said i didnt i just questioned the source.
Hey, that's me. WTF man! Are you saying those paintings are worth money? I left them...
facepalm.gif

TDP

Reaction score
Found a half-canvassed, navy, chalk-stripey, flannelly J. Press suit in perfect condition! Available :spam: :)!

Measurements
-------------------
Tagged size: 41R

Jacket
--------
Half-canvassed
Shoulders: 18.75"
BOC: 30.75"
Sleeve: 25.25"+2.25" to let out
Chest: 22.5"
Vents: 1 hook vent

Trousers
--------
Pleats: 0, the trous. are flat-fronted
Cuffs: 1.75"
Buttons for braces: Yes
Inseam: 31"+0.75"+1.75" from the cuffs
Waist: 35"

highlifeman

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity (i.e., not trying to see if I can make a buck off of it..), any thoughts on whether the shirt below is real or fake?

I accidentally posted during Noobizor's incredible haul avalanche of pics and posts, and don't think too many people actually saw it....

And now for today's version of Burberry.....Real or Fake? Funny how right after the discussion a couple of days ago, I came across this..tag looks real, had check plaid placket & collar lining, long sleeve knit polo with button cuffs, but not sure @ the logo....Any thoughts?

Found in same store as Burberry pants above. I think those are real also, but..? Here is the tag...sorry for the dark pic....

tenloe

Reaction score
Well, you win some you loose some. I went back to the store a week later and they never found the missing Ferragamo shoes. I did, however, pick up an excellent Ralph Lauren Polo University blue wool blazer with gold buttons. Pics to come.

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which would make the value of your contribution....

I'll bite, guy. I'll preface my below remarks with (1) I give zero ***** whether you post here every day or never again or somewhere in between, it's the Internet (2) don't take this personal (3) it's the Internet and (4) I'm never broaching this topic again, it is beaten to death, I'm responding because ife is apparently too long.

The point that I was trying to make is that you consistently make references to this being a "community" or how you simply want to contribute to this "community." Fine, great. In your case, I find that claim relatively disingenuous. Two months ago you were posting YSL and Christian Dior ties. The vast majority of your knowledge comes from the labor of members of this thread. Today, you contribute relatively little to the knowledge pool here, outside of occasionally cross-posting something you found in the label/heels thread. A "community" isn't, shouldn't, and ultimately, can't be comprised by one way relationships in which one actor extracts benefit solely for his/her benefit.

Now, I'm not saying you need to offer anyone on this thread deals. I'm not saying you need to make anything available for trade or sale to whatnot. I would personally appreciate it if you took the time to take better pictures, just because that's the primary reason I read this thread and I think good pictures are a valuable contribution. On a broader level, I was more or less commenting on your consistent reference to community without your behavioral adherence to said reference. Don't finger my asshole while telling me that you're giving me a *******.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads