• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
that guys selling prices are way to high... i can get NWT HF suit for $250 from stores day and night.

Do tell, please!! I'm just proxying (so not deciding the prices), but personally looking for 36S suits and sport coats. Would snap them up at $250 in a heart beat, especially Cashmere and the Hand Tailored & Presidential lines
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Last edited:

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in that size i know its harder. I was referring to the larger sizes... I find them at outlets and online retailers for those prices frequently in my size (44l and 42l). Which I know varies greatly on the size available.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

in that size i know its harder. I was referring to the larger sizes... I find them at outlets and online retailers for those prices frequently in my size (44l and 42l). Which I know varies greatly on the size available.

+1. Not trying to be a dick, but you won't be able to get much for them on B&S, let alone the thrifting thread. Big sizes + loud patterns are a tougher sell

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Is this still the thrift/discount store bragging thread?
confused.gif
+1. Not trying to be a dick, but you won't be able to get much for them on B&S, let alone the thrifting thread. Big sizes + loud patterns are a tougher sell

None taken (figured on the off chance someone here would be interested before I let the rest of the world know), and back to our regularly scheduled programming of Christian Dior ties and Macy's Green Label Ralph Lauren "****" (see below)
facepalm.gif

Last edited:

Onlyasandwich

Reaction score
It's nothing too special, but for some reason this vintage Fieldmaster green corduroy jacket I thrifted yesterday strikes me in all the right ways. All these years and nary a mark nor misplaced thread! I'm a sucker for all (most) things corduroy. It fits like an old friend. Who can deny such a lovely piece for $3 on the rack?

I can't find any other labeling, but from what little I see around online this one is probably from the 50's or 60's. Anyone know anything about Fieldmasters?

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a good weekend thrifting:
-grey Pringle shawl collar cardigan, in my size.
-three brand new pieces of All Clad cookware, a saucepan and dutch oven with lids and saute pan.
-a recent, Pendleton Indian blanket
-a couple vintage, very lightweight, light blue BB end-on-end shirts with unlined collars, my size.

I've been looking for one for a while, either really light end on end, or solid light blue madras (though according to some people they're basically the same). After hearing hey had some NOS ones I tried to get one from J. Press last year, but they were out by the time I got there.

also went by Marshalls and saw some of those Versace ties.

Is this still the thrift/discount store bragging thread? :confused:

It seems to be more of an sales/exchange thread now.
I mean people used to have stuff available for sale, but there's a difference between:

"check out this interesting/cool/rare/expensive thing I found--doesn't fit, anyone interested"
and
"hey I just cleaned out the dress shirt and tie section of goodwill-AVAILABLE"

I think it kinda cheapens it because you have people disingenuously hyping their stuff by raving about the "hand" and the feel of dept store sportcoats and licensed ties.

Just the observations of someone who used to read this thread often, back when it didn't move at 100 pages a week:

Onlyasandwich

Reaction score
^^ Nice score. That definitely dates from the 50's-early 60's. Fieldmaster is a house label of outdoor sportswear from Sears. Their flannel shirts are my favorites. I think they phased out in the late 90's.

Thanks! It seems to be very well made. I think I'll be wearing this thing for a good long while.

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score
To be fair, in addition to the hawking and trading and outright filthy lucre (I love it! Although, if we could have a "three strikes you're out" policy calling BS on "This Gap tie is the best Gap tie I've ever seen, is it made by E Marinella? AVAILABLE!") there's an awful lot of informational stuff on this thread such as

--the above Nataku explanation of brand history/"WTF is this thing I found"
--commisserating on the ups and downs of thrift-store culture
--And congrats for excellent finds.
--"Is this authentic?" validation/invalidation
--and: Vicuna!

Just saying. If people could confine the trade talk to PMs, well, that's good. For the most part, we do.

(and seriously: WTF is that Lauren ****?)

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't been in a thrift store in over a week, now. Serious DT's.

GFLX37Felix-the-Cat-Passed-Out-Posters.jpg

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a good weekend thrifting:
-grey Pringle shawl collar cardigan, in my size.
-three brand new pieces of All Clad cookware, a saucepan and dutch oven with lids and saute pan.
-a recent, Pendleton Indian blanket

I'll be checking the pots and pans more closely for months now... great finds

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All Clad? Dang. I've kept an eye out for Griswold/Wagner cast iron for awhile but never seen anything. Seen random unbranded ones for insane prices though, so I'm afraid if I ever see a nice one it won't be cheap. Would also take a Lodge enamel one but eh. Not looking THAT hard. :lol:

Nice finds lately.... glad to see a Hickey Freeman store has opened up! :lol:

hyakku

Reaction score

To be fair, in addition to the hawking and trading and outright filthy lucre (I love it! Although, if we could have a "three strikes you're out" policy calling BS on "This Gap tie is the best Gap tie I've ever seen, is it made by E Marinella? AVAILABLE!") there's an awful lot of informational stuff on this thread such as
--the above Nataku explanation of brand history/"WTF is this thing I found"
--commisserating on the ups and downs of thrift-store culture
--And congrats for excellent finds.
--"Is this authentic?" validation/invalidation
--and: Vicuna!
Just saying. If people could confine the trade talk to PMs, well, that's good. For the most part, we do.
(and seriously: WTF is that Lauren ****?)

This. I see it's that time of the month where people come out and complain that it's not just people bragging about their Kiton finds daily (because that happens everyday). It's like clockwork, literally, the last time this was an issue was around the last week of January. Look what week it is again.

What some of you guys don't get is that the trades ARE kept to PMs. In the past week I've done at least four trades after posting my "brags" and have contacted others to do the same. That's why you brag, let people see it, and then they contact you, herp derp.

Although that RL green label.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads