• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup -- center seam. It's a cool jacket, but it looks a little strange. I might have picked it up if it was in my size.

Right on the center seam? That's there to give you more room through the shoulders when shooting or doing other sports. Sometimes you'll see them on the sides behind the armpits.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hate to tell this to the forum, but I am changing my habits as to how I conduct business here. This change means:
1) I will only post finds I make that are in my size and are not for sale or trade. That way I can gloat and brag about it, do the whole stick my tongue out waggle my fingers on the side of my head thing.

Mostly :slayer:. The only thing I would ask is that you do please brag the Vincuna Kiton overcoat if you ever turn it up. Even if you're going to sell it. I'm in full agreement with most of your "new approach" but would really like to still see the awesome. If you can't find a path between posting the awesome stuff that isn't your size and hawking the stuff that isn't your size, then so be it, but I really hope that you can find a way to post the truly remarkable.

EDIT:
I will make edits for readability purposes if grammar is too awful.

Don't bother, we can all make it through, and a rant with perfect grammar almost never sounds honest!

hyakku

Reaction score
I don't really understand the issue some people are having. New members AREN'T cluttering the thread by spamming "dibs" posts and instead following the rules and PMing, and people are getting upset? I've had a couple of new members PM me, two of which have hooked me up.

Furthermore, I don't know who some of you are dealing with in this thread, but most of us selling or trading here don't look to gouge each other. When I say I'm "selling" something it's generally maybe 5-15 more than I paid. Most can attest that I'm letting all of the Pinks, Canalis, Miyakes, etc. for less than $20-$25. I don't think I've ever sold a thrift find to anyone for more than 50 bucks (and I'm pretty sure that was a brioni sweater in NWOT condition and the guy had to beg me to sell it because I was looking to keep it). I can definitely vouch that other people have done the same for me, and also been really understanding if I mess up.

If the trade thread picks up, I agree it can be more valuable, but NOT posting good finds because you don't want people to PM you about it seems like the complete opposite spirit of the thread. Why not just write, "not available" if you don't want people PMing you about it (but then why are you even buying things you can't fit?).

I'm gonna have to disagree and hope that everyone doesn't decide to follow the model of not posting finds that are nice that they may not be interested in or want to keep. I'd be furious to find out I missed out On a bugatti bag from a new member because they were too afraid of "spoiling" the thread. Plus, if everyone did this, unless the trade thread really explodes. How would any trades get done?

Finally, in relation to this, I now I still haven't posted a fit pic since I'm always in between SW and MC, but I'd love to get a "Member Sponsored WAYWRN" with people in fin that other people have sent them or traded for. Two of my favorite pieces have been trades I wanna express some thanks :slayer:

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really understand the issue some people are having. New members AREN'T cluttering the thread by spamming "dibs" posts and instead following the rules and PMing, and people are getting upset? I've had a couple of new members PM me, two of which have hooked me up.
Furthermore, I don't know who some of you are dealing with in this thread, but most of us selling or trading here don't look to gouge each other. When I say I'm "selling" something it's generally maybe 5-15 more than I paid. Most can attest that I'm letting all of the Pinks, Canalis, Miyakes, etc. for less than $20-$25. I don't think I've ever sold a thrift find to anyone for more than 50 bucks (and I'm pretty sure that was a bronx sweater in NWOT condition and the guy had to beg me to sell it because I was looking to keep it). I can definitely vouch that other people have done the same for me, and also been really understanding if I mess up.
If the trade thread picks up, I agree it can be more valuable, but NOT posting good finds because you don't want people to PM you about it seems like the complete opposite spirit of the thread. Why not just write, "not available" if you don't want people PMing you about it (but then why are you even buying things you can't fit?).
I'm gonna have to disagree and hope that everyone doesn't decide to follow the model of not posting finds that are nice that they may not be interested in or want to keep. I'd be furious to find out I missed out On a bugatti bag from a new member because they were too afraid of "spoiling" the thread. Plus, if everyone did this, unless the trade thread really explodes. How would any trades get done?
Finally, in relation to this, I now I still haven't posted a fit pic since I'm always in between SW and MC, but I'd love to get a "Member Sponsored WAYWRN" with people in fin that other people have sent them or traded for. Two of my favorite pieces have been trades I wanna express some thanks
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

+1 to all of that, except I don't know what "SW and MC" means

LooknGr8

Reaction score

. Without Nataku, Digmenow and others posting these offbeat brands, all of us here would be completely ignorant to other possibilities. Furthermore, if someone posts these lower tier items, he will be in a position to learn what constitutes a good find from a bad find. Whether we give snarky remarks or gentlemanly advice, he will be in a position to learn from it. We should ultimately want to help others.

I hear you.

Still fatigued by the whole YSL/Christian Dior throwdown, I guess. :spew:

Please do jump on and continute to grace this thread with Klobber Style posts. You are part of the seasoning that makes this stew flavorful and worth revisiting. Be senior adviser to the LRL crew or something.

And as always, I enjoy all the work of you meme generator freaks:

In other news, today I found an alterable Corneliani suit in my general size vicinity (EU48) at Marshall's marked down 80%...to $249. Even tried the whole thing on. Sighed. And gave it back to the fitting room clerk. Almost went over to the dark (nonthrift) side and then realized that I'd rather give you guys my money. I felt all dirty last night, spending $55 on a 100% silk PRL cable knit sweater I had been coveting for months at Marshall's and the last one was final final marked down another $15 so I pulled the trigger. Dirty because I overspent and gave TJX my cash instead of feeding what I see as this beautiful ecosystem. Over the months, I'm increasingly finding my loyalty lies here.

Speaking of which, thanks for the recent eBay heads up dahl5yankees...

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What happened to the idea of a thrift board with thrifting sub-threards?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Klobber: Well stated! :slayer:

I'll be checking the pots and pans more closely for months now... great finds
Definitely do so. I found 4 Viking stainless steel frying pans in the new arrival bins last summer. These suckers are heavy duty and retail about $200 a piece. Got em for $6-$9 each and both my wife and I love them!

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't know much about clothes, but i do know pots and pans. i've been seeing all-clad at decent but not great prices at my local marshall's. but last weekend they had what seemed like a pretty terrific price on le creuset casseroles kind of like this one
i believe they were <$100, which is pretty great.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate to tell this to the forum, but I am changing my habits as to how I conduct business here. This change means.........................Well, rant over, it has taken me a whole hour to write. I dont have time to spell check or grammar check, but you guys will read in 3 minutes what took me an hour to write
laugh.gif
. Peace!

I suddenly feel the urge to go drown myself in bourbon, like after a bad breakup. Bummed, I have truly enjoyed your posts.

BTW, it took me at least 5 minutes to read it.

Last edited:

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blah, all week all I found is a Press tie. Whatever!
Also Klobber I don't see why you decided not to post your finds but if you choose not to brag about a Cuccinelli trench even it's not your size, it is a shame. If you don't want people PMing you just say not available, or no PMs whatnot. Maybe we should have a for sale subboard or something.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's kinda disappointing though... I like seeing the cool stuff you and others find, Klobber, even if it's not your size or my size

Blah, all week all I found is a Press tie. Whatever!
Also Klobber I don't see why you decided not to post your finds but if you choose not to brag about a Cuccinelli trench even it's not your size, it is a shame. If you don't want people PMing you just say not available, or no PMs whatnot. Maybe we should have a for sale subboard or something.

This should clear up better:

If you see all my previous posts regarding flip finds, you will notice most, if not all, have been conveniently my size. My last huge haul, I picked up other stuff that would blow peoples minds. After a little meditation on these finds, I decided to back out of listing all, since if I did, chaos would have reigned in my inbox - most of it from members not involved in the thread whom have more interest in getting an easy kill than in networking or building a trade relationship. I will continue to list the items I intend to keep, much like before. I am not suggesting everyone follow suit, but it is a stage of evolution for me that places more emphasis on networking and building relationships with other members here.

People now have been routinely PM'ing me with their finds. This is much better, it is like "Hey Klobber, got this in 46L your size, are you interested. I am looking for .....". People also generally have the street savvy to say "I found this really cool 46L" over "I found a piece of crap in your size, interested"?

People will always post finds they picked up for themselves, but other size finds my end will go into the matrix (a hypothetical thrifting network working in the background through PM's). The Pro Flippers like Mainy and Nataku are a separate class, since they are very active in thrifting and all their finds posted here are more generosity on their part than gloating - in any case they do not need this thread for advertisement if they go through the Bay. Advantage of their bulk findings is they are extremely generous to the flippers here, although I dont know how generous they are to outsiders.

In your sig, you have given away your size information, means you get PM'd when I have stuff in your size. Easy, you get a PM from me if I grab something cool and fun in that size 42R you like :).
My sig has size info, so the access to the Matrix is clear.

I suddenly feel the urge to go drown myself in bourbon, like after a bad breakup. Bummed, I have truly enjoyed your posts.
BTW, it took me at least 5 minutes to read it.

:lol: LOL, I aint signing out, I will still be here gooning around, just wont be saying "ps guys found a heap of 42's its for sale if ya all want it". Since I have not done that in the past in any case, nothing changes my end really. Just highlighting my thoughts to see if a paradigm shift can happen and invite a different approach to the way we do business.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do express some sadness as to not see all of Klobber's awesome finds. He's in an excellent area for thrifting and his contributions to this thread were great. I do know what it is like to have my inbox flooded by half of styleforum too so I can see where he's coming from.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This should clear up better:
If you see all my previous posts regarding flip finds, you will notice most, if not all, have been conveniently my size. My last huge haul, I picked up other stuff that would blow peoples minds. After a little meditation on these finds, I decided to back out of listing all, since if I did, chaos would have reigned in my inbox - most of it from members not involved in the thread whom have more interest in getting an easy kill than in networking or building a trade relationship. I will continue to list the items I intend to keep, much like before. I am not suggesting everyone follow suit, but it is a stage of evolution for me that places more emphasis on networking and building relationships with other members here.
People now have been routinely PM'ing me with their finds. This is much better, it is like "Hey Klobber, got this in 46L your size, are you interested. I am looking for .....". People also generally have the street savvy to say "I found this really cool 46L" over "I found a piece of crap in your size, interested"?
People will always post finds they picked up for themselves, but other size finds my end will go into the matrix (a hypothetical thrifting network working in the background through PM's). The Pro Flippers like Mainy and Nataku are a separate class, since they are very active in thrifting and all their finds posted here are more generosity on their part than gloating - in any case they do not need this thread for advertisement if they go through the Bay. Advantage of their bulk findings is they are extremely generous to the flippers here, although I dont know how generous they are to outsiders.
In your sig, you have given away your size information, means you get PM'd when I have stuff in your size. Easy, you get a PM from me if I grab something cool and fun in that size 42R you like
smile.gif
My sig has size info, so the access to the Matrix is clear.
lol8[1].gif
LOL, I aint signing out, I will still be here gooning around, just wont be saying "ps guys found a heap of 42's its for sale if ya all want it". Since I have not done that in the past in any case, nothing changes my end really. Just highlighting my thoughts to see if a paradigm shift can happen and invite a different approach to the way we do business.

The one thing that bugs me that you highlighted well is the people trolling the thread for deals but not actually being part of the community. I don't feel bad if I get beat out to a 40-42 suit or coat by someone who goes out, finds stuff, posts here, and is generally a part of the community. When it's just some random person jumping in to get a good deal that's not a community.

I haven't been here as long as a lot of you guys, and I don't find the really awesome stuff some of you do, but when I find a 36 SC I think "Brianpore"... 44 I think "Nataku", 46 I think "Klobber", and 48 I think "theWGP". I'm all for more people joining the community, but not mining and using it without contributing.

EDIT: Also, I'm insanely curious to see the amazing stuff that would blow my mind that you held out on us
nest.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads