1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II (Return to the Thunderdome)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, May 18, 2015.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Longhi is awesome. Really well made stuff. But resale is kind of blech. I have/had a whole bunch of Mr. Bigs outerwear (check my completeds) but they end so far below what they should.

2. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Well-Known Member

High quality stuff. They make leather coats/jackets for Zegna.

3. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

4. GM-H

GM-H Well-Known Member

intresting. I guess they make the canali leather cafe racer I have

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  5. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Well-Known Member

Could be wrong, I believe Zegna owns Longhi brand.

6. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Rossignol
    plain grey hoodie
    Hello Kitty T-shirt
    Neighborhood Jeans
    Jordan Spike 40's

-all Thrift or discount. you know how we do. :nodding:

8 people like this.
  7. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Well-Known Member

Question for the community:

90% of what I've been picking up is for purely personal use. The other 10% are things I find along the way that don't work for me (sizing mainly), but I believe (from learning from this group here) that they're solid finds in very good to great condition and have some value. So the question: how important is a label/brand vs the actual style of the piece to the market out there? Example: is it worth picking up a barely worn tie from a decent higher end brand for $1.25, even if the pattern and width are completely dated?

I understand completely that my reasons for doing this are different than many of your's; just interested to hear opinions on the matter. 

Thanks!
    John

8. Thrift Vader

style is key. brand is moot.
    wear your style. how you want.

#bethebawss

1 person likes this.
  9. JohnAAG

JohnAAG Well-Known Member

Thanks! You already knocked some common sense back into my head when I was talking about getting that trench coat tailored.

In this case I was thinking more about the market value of those "solid brand but ugly" pieces.

Edited my original question to clarify that.

10. Thrift Vader

flip ugly Brand stuff. somebody will buy it.

11. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Well-Known Member

Found a 2017 cheapies entry

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28 people like this.
  12. leisurewear

leisurewear Well-Known Member

^fit pic plz

6 people like this.
  13. Principle

Principle Well-Known Member

14. silverwarebandit

Gonna need Eazye to get in the other leg

1 person likes this.
  15. silverwarebandit

Ah damn, they're late 60s. Maybe not a cheapies contender after all :(

16. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Yes, and then go thrifting together like that, putting your finds in the pockets.

8 people like this.
  17. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

These are the best fitting boots I've yet found.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12 people like this.
  18. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Well-Known Member

Pop from a few days ago

[​IMG]

15 people like this.
  19. Woofa

Woofa Well-Known Member

Honestly, there are so many variants in the equation it is very difficult to answer well. Most importantly is what do you want to get out of this for yourself. Personally, I love to thrift and I buy mostly stuff for me and my family. However I do occasionally find some great pieces that don’t work for me either because of style or because of size. In those instances I try and trade with fellow members and I also work through Luxeswap (Spoopoker) to resell my stuff.

For me, I have to assume that whatever price the item sells for I have to pay my cost, my reseller, paypal, ebay, and to package and ship the item to my reseller. (Not a cheap endeavor.) As a result, I need to be pretty certain that my cost is minimal and my item is in great condition and easily sellable for a handsome profit.

For those who are flipping on their own through EBAY or similar, they get to keep more of the profit but…. And this is a big but, don’t underestimate the amount of effort it takes to become a great seller who maximizes profits. Someone like SPOO or many of the guys here on the thread have spent countless hours and large amounts of money to become trusted sellers. Their knowledge, expertise and client lists are not something you can develop over a few weeks with a decent camera and computer. Doing this well, even for those who make a living at it is a tough job. Of course these guys love the clothes and the thrifting so it makes it a little easier

I came to the conclusion early on that I was not interested in doing this as a business at this point in my life (maybe in the future.) I have a full time job, two teenage kids and a life outside of clothing that I enjoy. As a result, while I am willing to put in the time to do the actual thrifting which is fun for me, I am not willing to put in the hours of work to do the direct selling. A reseller allows me to have the best of both worlds but I know that I am leaving money on the table.

What sells well? Very recent, very high end items in barely worn condition. Also, very specialized and rare items (like certain vintage RL Polo) which have a core following.
    Anything else can sell but how quickly and for how much profit is dependent upon too many factors to make a generalization.

FYI, to try and answer your question, just the other day I left a Stefano Ricci tie that was butt ugly and clearly dated. I consistently leave ugly T&A ties, unvented Canali sport coats, less than great condition AE’s and similar. No doubt SPOO could sell them for me and I would make a few bucks but no longer worth my effort to push on things like this. I am trying to raise my per item profit while I lower my total numbers of items.
    (Having said that, I have my weaknesses as well and I hate to leave any older shell cordovan shoes and any Oxxford pieces even though these are generally not high resale items.)

Spend some time making yourself a list of items you were thinking of flipping and seeing what similar items go for on EBAY. I wish you luck.

11 people like this.
  20. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

^ Over the last year or two I've changed my strategy for what I pick up and what I do with it, a lot. I sell the highest-end stuff myself (stuff that'll sell for $200+) on Ebay, take the rest of what I can to a local B&M consignment in exchange for credit to spend with them, and leave on the racks stuff that won't work with either of those options. I maybe list one or two things a month these days.

I don't have time to list a lot on my own anymore, and shipping stuff to resellers is mostly too time-consuming and expensive. And Ebay returns on the low- and mid-level stuff that's most of what I find around here has gone down so much in the last 6-7 years that you have to do volume to make much.

2 people like this.