• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ShoeWho

Reaction score

DapperAndy

Reaction score
I know what you posted. Why don't you give us your Curse of Tutankhamun bit again? Or are you saving it for your stand-up routine?

ETA: here are some insoles I found https://www.google.com/search?q=ins...3IfiAhUjUxUIHYNHAZsQ_AUIDygC&biw=1536&bih=722 Why don't you tell us that actually they're not insoles at all, and you are the only person who knows The Secret of the Insole?
@ShoeWho You're not doing anyone service by disrespecting people here. In fact, you're making it feel like an inflammatory place, when it doesn't usually feel as-such.

Simultaneously, if you're going to bring up another user's name in a response to a new question, please stick to the ethos of the rest of the 9 year thread and do it when asking for help, not to invoke your interpretation of what they may or may-not prescribe. It just makes you a parrot, and a dysfunctional one, at that.

ShoeWho

Reaction score
Have you even read the nonsense which DWF posted about fungi? How can disrespect not be the reaction? Isn't it a disservice to members to present this thread as helpful when so much misinformation is being posted by someone who claims to be an authority?

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you even read the nonsense which DWF posted about fungi? How can disrespect not be the reaction? Isn't it a disservice to members to present this thread as helpful when so much misinformation is being posted by someone who claims to be an authority?

Dear sir. As a medical professional, I can tell u that lot of things that DWF has posted about foot fungus makes sense

Threeputt

Reaction score
I’m a shoe enthusiast and a long time lurker here. Mostly I enjoy coming to this and other forums in my evening downtime for some relaxation, learning and the occasional good natured humor around here. I have to say however @ShoeWho you have such an abrasive vibe that just sucks the goodness out of this thread. FWIW, there is huge difference between a leather insole and a Superfeet insert. There are real concerns for fungal growths in used leather shoes and UV lights won’t work in all areas of a shoe, especially when considering spores (it’s been discussed more than once in this thread). You’re either a huge troll or you just don’t know what you don’t know. Either way, your abrasive approach illustrates a huge disrespect for this place and what it is and can be. Please stop using it for your own selfish entertainment.

Rant over and my cursor is hovering over the ignore link...

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, alright. Will try that. Thank you very much! While you are here mind if I ask what is the best way to clean/disinfect the shoes? I bought these at TKMaxx and it looks like they've been tried on by quite a few, so wanted to do that just in case.

I'm not sure that casual trying on of a shoe is going to create problems. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it is the combination of heat, moisture and readily available food stuffs (including shed skin cells and the conditioners in the leather) that create the petri dish environment. Most importantly, all those things come together over a period of time and protracted wear by an individual with problems.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As a medical professional, I can tell u that lot of things that DWF has posted about foot fungus makes sense

FWIW, there is huge difference between a leather insole and a Superfeet insert.

There are real concerns for fungal growths in used leather shoes and UV lights won’t work in all areas of a shoe, especially when considering spores

Thanks to both of you. Bears repeating.

Sometimes the better part of understanding (and/or wisdom) is simply the ability to "connect the dots." Being able to objectively take facts, no matter how seemingly disassociated, and see how they fit into the larger pattern.

Certainly the better part of ignorance is the, esp. wilful, refusal to recognize those relationships.

That said, I suspect one has to be a 'linear thinker" to make those connections. The 'emotive' thinker relies on feelings and, as a consequence, is almost always dissonant to one degree or another.

Last edited:

timzzz

Reaction score
I'm not sure that casual trying on of a shoe is going to create problems. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it is the combination of heat, moisture and readily available food stuffs (including shed skin cells and the conditioners in the leather) that create the petri dish environment. Most importantly, all those things come together over a period of time and protracted wear by an individual with problems.
Thank you, DWF! That's great news! I apologise for my rather amateur questions and appreciate your help. Again, thank you all for your help!

crow1503

Reaction score
Hello, guys, I have a question since I'm new to this world
I want to ask if I wanted to buy a conditioner can you give me a recommendation?
I heard saphir renovatur is quite good is it true? or you can give me another recommendation?
right now I have a VSC but some people say it's not so good.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to ask if I wanted to buy a conditioner can you give me a recommendation?
I heard saphir renovatur is quite good is it true? or you can give me another recommendation?

When it comes to calfskin dress shoes. Nothing beats Saphir renovateur. I like it quite a lot. Other options that u can consider are:

1. Venetian Shoe Cream
2. Chamberlain's Leather Milk Boot & Shoe Cream Formula No. 6
3. Brick 4

Regards. AJ

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m a shoe enthusiast and a long time lurker here. Mostly I enjoy coming to this and other forums in my evening downtime for some relaxation, learning and the occasional good natured humor around here. I have to say however @ShoeWho you have such an abrasive vibe that just sucks the goodness out of this thread. FWIW, there is huge difference between a leather insole and a Superfeet insert. There are real concerns for fungal growths in used leather shoes and UV lights won’t work in all areas of a shoe, especially when considering spores (it’s been discussed more than once in this thread). You’re either a huge troll or you just don’t know what you don’t know. Either way, your abrasive approach illustrates a huge disrespect for this place and what it is and can be. Please stop using it for your own selfish entertainment.

Rant over and my cursor is hovering over the ignore link...

Took all the fun out of “FUNgus!”

In any case, we can all decide for ourselves what the risk is. Fungal infection can definitely happen. Of the shoe is barely used, perhaps it’s less likely. We can abate the situation with UV light or wipes, but we have to stand on our on feet (pun always intended) in the end with our decisions. Don’t let anybody get to you with negativity!

DapperAndy

Reaction score
We (Pure Polish) make a Conditioner/Cleaner Cream that is coconut oil & beeswax based (lowest rancidity rate of any oil, and anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties). You can get it if you’re in the US easily direct, but foreign we’re still working on. Also: smells like oranges.

When it comes to calfskin dress shoes. Nothing beats Saphir renovateur. I like it quite a lot. Other options that u can consider are:

1. Venetian Shoe Cream
2. Chamberlain's Leather Milk Boot & Shoe Cream Formula No. 6
3. Brick 4

Regards. AJ
It’s “Bick 4” short for Bickmore. There are no waxes in it, as it’s a Conditioner only. So follow-up routine is usually necessary for proper shoe care/protection. This combination is what some people have tailored to their routines.*

*Just wanted to clarify, for posterity purposes.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This topic has been discussed many times on this thread, so I'll just summarise what I myself do.
I have experience of just two conditioners: Bick4 and GlenKaren (now Pure Polish) cleaner/conditioner and use them for different purposes.
In general
First and foremost, the shoes must be clean from any schmutz, so you might want to brush them well. If needed, pass over them a slightly damp cloth, let the leather dry and then brush again.
I try not to apply any product on wrinkled leather, so I put shoe trees in my shoes, or better (since even lasted shoe trees often don't fill completely the shoe) I stuff my hand in them and try to distend as much as possible, from the inside, the area I'm working on.
You want to work on a limited area at a time, e.g. the vamp (part of the shoe between laces and toecap), and each quarter.
I usually do not apply but the tiniest amount of conditioner over the toecap, because the stiffener under it makes the leather almost unlikely to move and because I like to shine the toecaps and I found the process is simpler if I only put wax on.

Bick 4
Is a water based, very thin fluid, that I use mostly on new - or unpolished - shoes.
I usually pour some (not a lot, but not a smidgen either) Bick4 directly on the leather and then spread it over the leather, first with two fingers, then with the whole palm of my hand. I don't use any rag beacuse Bick4 is quite fluid and I don't want a piece of cloth to absorb my "precious fluids".
I rub the leather in a quick motion, since I like to think that the friction-induced warmth helps the conditioner to be absorbed by the leather rather than just sit on it.
When the fluid seems absorbed, I let it sit for about an hour, then brush a lot, rub the shoe with a rag and then brush again.
Done, and ready for any further application of shoe cream and/or polish, at your liking

Pure Polish cleaner/conditioner
It's a thicker product (think about butter), with a pleasant smell of orange. It has some wax in it, so it gives the shoe a moderate shine too.
I find it useful when shoes need to be purged from any excess of products or just to give them a deeper cleaning.
Better to use it with a cloth, to collect and remove the dirt softened by the cleaner.
Wrap your finger in the cloth, touch the cleaner (a little goes a very long way), then rub it in circles on your shoes.
I work on a limited surface at a time and don't put too much pressure: the weight of my hand is more than enough.
This because I'm afraid that excessive pressure might lead to uneven cleaning and create darker or lighter patches on my shoes.
When I am happy with the cleaning (i.e.: when I like how my shoes look) I let the product sit on the leather for about five minutes, then brush a lot. I repeat the sit/brush process for several times, until I'm happy with the outcome.
Being a totally natural product it don't gives instant results, but I find that the time I spend using it is well rewarded by the outcome: even if using it as a single product, my shoes are clean, with a nice discreet glow and a fine orange smell.

Those are just my experiences - as you see quite limited, but I hope you'll find them useful.
Of course there are more experienced members on this thread, whose advice you might want to hear.

Have fun with the care of your shoes!
Luigi

Last edited:

horseman40

Reaction score
Hello: After reading many comments about Renomat, I'm now afraid to buy it. All I thought was that it was useful for removing old wax build-up....but the comments seem to indicate that it is very harsh and damaging. I have many pairs of allen Edmonds on which I used was polish over the years. Should I be afraid of Renomat ? Thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads