• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think they're infused with wax/oil. The thing is almost like a candle or something.
It begs the question though...what kind of oil or wax is the bone stuffed with? What if it is mineral oil? Are you OK with that? Oil tends to be a bit fugitive over time...do you have to buy another bone when it gets dry? Fundamentally, all that is happening here is that the oil is acting as a lubricant to allow the bone to slide on the leather without abrading the surface. As pB said why not use a reliable conditioner like Bick4....which has some lubricating properties...and a spoon? Don't get me wrong, if the oil is not mineral oil, there's probably nothing wrong with using the oil bone but it's not magic either. On the other hand, a cow bone that has been polished with 4000grit Abralon and some rouge or tripoli, has no equal for burnishing or chasing wrinkles

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It begs the question though...what kind of oil or wax is the bone stuffed with? What if it is mineral oil? Are you OK with that?

Oil tends to be a bit fugitive over time...do you have to buy another bone when it gets dry?

Fundamentally, all that is happening here is that the oil is acting as a lubricant to allow the bone to slide on the leather without abrading the surface. As pB said why not use a reliable conditioner like Bick4....which has some lubricating properties...and a spoon?

Don't get me wrong, if the oil is not mineral oil, there's probably nothing wrong with using the oil bone but it's not magic either.

On the other hand, a cow bone that has been polished with 4000grit Abralon and some rouge or tripoli, has no equal for burnishing or chasing wrinkles

Apparently, it's unprocessed deer bone marrow:

"Abbeyhorn uses bone from Scottish Red Deer, a large UK deer species. Sourced as a natural by-product of the Scottish deer farming industry, the bone is unprocessed and still contains its ***** marrow, which is essential for helping care for fine leather." http://www.leatherfoot.com/artisans/abbeyhorn

Which I guess helps nourish the shell cordovan:

0.jpg

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are so many problems with the first video posted (post #10818) that it makes me nervous.

First what "welting?" when applied to a shoe the term "welt" has a specific meaning.

Second, the commentator refers to cordovan as a skin. It isn't. It's a membrane/layer that resides between the skin and the muscle.

Third, the speaker says the bones have been soaked in oil.

And maybe most nervous making of all is that there is a scratching sound every time the bone is rubbed on the shoe. When you rub an un-soaked, polished cow bone on leather with, or without a lubricant (but preferably with), there is no sound whatsoever. Scratching sounds are an indication that something is not right--from boning to chasing to clicking (cutting), a scratching/skritching sound is an indication that something is tearing or breaking or being abraded.

--

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Apparently, it's unprocessed deer bone marrow:

"[COLOR=444444]Abbeyhorn uses bone from Scottish Red Deer, a large UK deer species. Sourced as a natural by-product of the Scottish deer farming industry, the bone is unprocessed and still contains its ***** marrow, which is essential for helping care for fine leather." [/COLOR]http://www.leatherfoot.com/artisans/abbeyhorn

Which I guess helps nourish the shell cordovan: 

Here's another suspect issue: if the bone is dense enough to be a polishing bone or rub stick, the marrow inside is not going to come through with that much alacrity. It may be a slow seep but very slow indeed. I am ready to believe that the bones are soaked, but marrow coming through...??

[As a side note you'd think that after nearly 10, 000 years of shoe (and shoe care) evolution if deer bone marrow was that essential for caring for "fine leather" it would be the prime ingredient in all shoe conditioners...or at least sold as a premium conditioner all on its own.]

And it has to be said that the description of the deer bones on the Leatherfoot website are not consistent with the description of the deer bones on the Abbyhorn site. Nowhere it is mentioned on the Abbyhorn site that the marrow is soaking through. "Marrow" isn't even mentioned. What's that about?

A good rule of thumb is to never extend unreserved trust to any information provided by Internet websites...esp. those that have a vested interest in selling a particular product.

Last edited:

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's another suspect issue: if the bone is dense enough to be a polishing bone or rub stick, the marrow inside is not going to come through with that much alacrity. It may be a slow seep but very slow indeed. I am ready to believe that the bones are soaked, but marrow coming through...??

[As a side note you'd think that after nearly 10, 000 years of shoe (and shoe care) evolution if deer bone marrow was that essential for caring for "fine leather" it would be the prime ingredient in all shoe conditioners...or at least sold as a premium conditioner all on its own.]

And it has to be said that the description of the deer bones on the Leatherfoot website are not consistent with the description of the deer bones on the Abbyhorn site. Nowhere it is mentioned on the Abbyhorn site that the marrow is soaking through. "Marrow" isn't even mentioned. What's that about?

A good rule of thumb is to never extend unreserved trust to any information provided by Internet websites...esp. those that have a vested interest in selling a particular product.

It's a bit mysterious indeed and, it just works. Your choice to either believe those with direct experience with it saying it does a nice job, or not to.

I just look at it as another tool in the shoe care arsenal.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And maybe most nervous making of all is that there is a scratching sound every time the bone is rubbed on the shoe. When you rub an un-soaked, polished cow bone on leather with, or without a lubricant (but preferably with), there is no sound whatsoever. Scratching sounds are an indication that something is not right--from boning to chasing to clicking (cutting), a scratching/skritching sound is an indication that something is tearing or breaking or being abraded.

--

Now your really drawing at straws. Brushing with a horse-hair shoe brush is even louder. By your logic, because that makes a noise, it shouldn't be done.

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Now your really drawing at straws. Brushing with a horse-hair shoe brush is even louder. By your logic, because that makes  a noise, it shouldn't be done. 

Not really. it doesn't make logical sense that a polished surface...with oil as a lubricant...should make any noise whatsoever. What would cause such scratching noises? What would cause any noise?

Aside from logic, however, "direct experience" with using bones (deer bones included) as shoemaking tools for many, many, many years made me sit up and take notice when I watched/heard the video.

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I've used deer bone on all my shells - it works a treat - and the bone is still oily after well over a year. ALL information on the web should be filtered by the reader's own common sense and practical experience. Including any suggestion that one should presume that vendors are likely lying to you about the products they sell.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

First what "welting?" when applied to a shoe the term "welt" has a specific meaning.

In this case "welt" and "welting" refers to the little raised dimples in shell cordovan, that can happen if the leather gets wet unevenly.
Best method to deal with those is getting the shoes uniformly wet (sponge and water) and letting them dry very gently.

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

In this case "welt" and "welting" refers to the little raised dimples in shell cordovan, that can happen if the leather gets wet unevenly.
Best method to deal with those is getting the shoes uniformly wet (sponge and water) and letting them dry very gently.

I understand. I know what the word welt means and that it can also mean raised stripes or marks often associated with a blow...probably derived from "weal." But in the context of shoes it is confusing and indicates that the speaker isn't really conversant with the subject he is addressing.

Parenthetically, the Oxford Dictionary as well as several others, define "welt" in the context of shoemaking or tailoring first and foremost and only reference "welt" as a raised surface as the second or third definition.

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
I have some new Iron Ranger 8111 boots. I will wear them maybe 1-2 times per week and not very hard. The leather is "oil tanned". I don't think I need waterproofing since I don't spend time jumping around in the mud or anything. Should I condition these in the first year (Obenauf's or something) or just let them age for a while before doing anything?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^
^
^
^
All information...whether it be internet related or not...should be filtered for authenticity--for people posing as something they are not; for pretending to knowledge or experience that they do not have; for advice or instruction coming from people who have not earned (worked for, paid their dues) the right to instruct or give advice except in their own solipsistic imaginings; for people who are convinced that their own singular, personal experiences are, or ought to be, universal....

Who somehow never see the need to own up or take responsibility for the accuracy or authenticity of what they say or do.

--

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, that is exactly what the term means in this context. I kind of thought everyone knew that.

I've never tried the approach of getting the shoes uniformly wet (but then fortunately I've only had this issue once). I presume by letting them dry gently, you mean let them dry naturally, unaided by any external heat source?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have some new Iron Ranger 8111 boots.  I will wear them maybe 1-2 times per week and not very hard.  The leather is "oil tanned".  I don't think I need waterproofing since I don't spend time jumping around in the mud or anything.  Should I condition these in the first year (Obenauf's or something) or just let them age for a while before doing anything? 

Keep them clean and if you see that the leather is looking dry use a light conditioner. Since it's oil stuffed I doubt it will need to be oiled or waxed for some time.

Ireges

Reaction score
Hello, all

I am a little confused about whether or not Saphir Renovateur is colored and needs to be bought in a color matching that of your shoes. I was under the impression that it was a general purpose white cream that could be used on leather shoes of any color, though when trying to find some a cobbler was asking me what color it was that I needed, and hence my confusion.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member