• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Nutcracker. Did you get any idea of what the 'proprietary conditioner' was?

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thank you, Nutcracker. Did you get any idea of what the 'proprietary conditioner' was?
I think it is a light/mild cleaner. Not sure how they make it, but it looked quite similar to Saphir 1925 lotion, but more watery.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how this is possible since I thought this couldn't happen to a Goodyear welted shoe? I was under the impression that the uppers were stitched to the insole/welt instead of glued.

The shoes are made by Barker, model name is Grant.

Last edited:

katastrofa

Reaction score
My wife bought me this JM Weston wholecuts:

They are beautiful, and the question is: how do I keep them like that? My experience with neutral cream is not encouraging: it tends to strip off the colour. Neutral polish doesn't do it that much, but on the other hand it doesn't "feed" the leather as much as cream does. Is there any neutral cream which doesn't strip the colour from the shoe?

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i suppose this can fit in the shoe care thread :

complete color change of some g&g lazyman's from the Barney's sale :

not completely there yet but well underway to a burgundy black

also darkening the blue on the Gable

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i suppose this can fit in the shoe care thread : complete color change of some g&g lazyman's from the Barney's sale : not completely there yet but well underway to a burgundy black also darkening the blue on the Gable
wow, care to list the steps you took to change the color. I like the cherry color, so won't do it on this one, but thinking of some other shoes that I might be experimenting with.

magnitude

Reaction score
Hi, im new here and lookin for some advise. i bought a jcrew shoes which is an italian made leather upper. I think it had a water damage stain on one side of the shoes which makes it weird this i have not been using the shoes often. May i know how do i go about removig the stain or make it less visible? Trying rewet it and let it dry but to no results.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dyhgn6l0fevebg9/2013-07-22 08.45.21.jpg

I cant embed it! Using mobile!

Please advise!

Noo Guy

Reaction score
I have been working with AE cream, and have been able to get a pretty good matte shine on my used AEs. I am thinking of adding a wax polish to the cream for two reasons:
1. obviously, a higher gloss sheen. I think I am ready to try it out.
2. I have been troubled to see that rain seems to immediately penetrate the uppers and leaves water drop marks until they naturally dry out

Two questions:
1. Does my second reason above trouble anyone about the condition of the leather (seems supple and healthy)/ do you agree that I should start applying a wax to avoid this problem?
2. AE doesn't make wax polish. I have a walnut pair and a chili pair - can anyone recommend a good match from another company, please?

Thanks so much in advance.

Ed Wiser

Reaction score
Hi, im new here and lookin for some advise. i bought a jcrew shoes which is an italian made leather upper. I think it had a water damage stain on one side of the shoes which makes it weird this i have not been using the shoes often. May i know how do i go about removig the stain or make it less visible? Trying rewet it and let it dry but to no results.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dyhgn6l0fevebg9/2013-07-22 08.45.21.jpg

I cant embed it! Using mobile!

Please advise!
you replace the www. with dl. in the url to get the picture to show up

Like this.:)

magnitude

Reaction score
you replace the www. with dl. in the url to get the picture to show up

Like this.:)

Thanks, after much reading, i tried to strip off the wax polish which i had used using alcohol and to my surprise, it lightens the front part of the shoes. Which makes me to believe it was wax build up and too much water was used in the process. Will renovat be of use for my shoes to make the colour more even?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been working with AE cream, and have been able to get a pretty good matte shine on my used AEs. I am thinking of adding a wax polish to the cream for two reasons:
1. obviously, a higher gloss sheen. I think I am ready to try it out.
2. I have been troubled to see that rain seems to immediately penetrate the uppers and leaves water drop marks until they naturally dry out

Two questions:
1. Does my second reason above trouble anyone about the condition of the leather (seems supple and healthy)/ do you agree that I should start applying a wax to avoid this problem?
2. AE doesn't make wax polish. I have a walnut pair and a chili pair - can anyone recommend a good match from another company, please?

Thanks so much in advance.

This is not worrisome, it is normal. Adding wax polish over the top of your cream will make the water bead up more effectively, if you so desire. Allen Edmonds does make wax polish: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF652_1_40000000001_-1

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bvcbvbvc