• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SHS

Reaction score
I have just ordered a large batch of renovateur and wax polish. What is the best way to keep them in storage without drying out?

SHS

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi all,
I just got a pair of suede+leather shoes from PS, but no idea how to take care of the combo of both leather+suede on one pair of shoes. Please advise!!
Pics:

I don't subscribe to the idea of using a spray suede protector on suede. Totally not needed, imo. Just try not to get it wet and get a good suede brush to bring up the nap once in a while. If they do get wet they won't be ruined but doing it a lot makes them look a bit shabby. Reno, and polish on the regular calf parts sparingly. Just be careful.

Need some opinions on keeping Chromeexcel leather shiny and scratch free. I just ordered a new pair of Alden 405's and a pair of Wolverine 1000mile boots. My old pairs look absolutely awful after just a few months. I wear them so much that I really need to build up a bulletproof coating. Suggestions?

It all depends on what you do with the boots and ultimately what kind of finish that you want them to have. The Obaneuf's recommendation is good if you wear them exclusively in wet weather and kick them around a bit. This stuff is the best for that, however if you want your boots to be shiny and polished looking, reno, buff, a bit of wax polish buff does the trick. Obaneuf's is very tacky, and oily and will ultimately protect your shoes, but the finish will be rather matte and oiled, not shiny, so it all depends.

thesecondprize

Reaction score
Recently bought a pair of oiled leather work boots for Fall through Spring wear, and I'm wondering how to care for this type of leather. A search of this thread for "oiled leather" didn't turn anything up. I found this thread, but it wasn't particularly definitive: http://www.styleforum.net/t/31036/care-for-oiled-leather

Anyways, I'm definitely not interested in shining the boots - just want extend their life. I don't plan on wearing them in the very worst weather, but they will definitely see some rain, slush & snow. So I'm not sure I want to waterproof (Obaneuf) them, either. Suggestions?

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If they are already oiled they are probably pretty water resistant as it is. Some renovateur would be good now and again with some buffing, but if they get really wet, make sure they have trees in them and they are left to dry naturally for a few days. Re-apply reno at this point. IT wouldn't hurt to use Obaneuf's LP lightly every few months. If you put a light coat of this stuff on them and rub it in good then let it dry 24 hours and buff, a subtle glow will appear. You can reno over that in between LP applications. That is what I do for bad weather boots. Seems to work well.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I don't subscribe to the idea of using a spray suede protector on suede. Totally not needed, imo. Just try not to get it wet and get a good suede brush to bring up the nap once in a while. If they do get wet they won't be ruined but doing it a lot makes them look a bit shabby. Reno, and polish on the regular calf parts sparingly. Just be careful.
It all depends on what you do with the boots and ultimately what kind of finish that you want them to have. The Obaneuf's recommendation is good if you wear them exclusively in wet weather and kick them around a bit. This stuff is the best for that, however if you want your boots to be shiny and polished looking, reno, buff, a bit of wax polish buff does the trick. Obaneuf's is very tacky, and oily and will ultimately protect your shoes, but the finish will be rather matte and oiled, not shiny, so it all depends.

Well, I've been using Montana Pitch Blend on the boots. It keeps them moisturized but they look matte, dull, and show up EVERY scratch. I suspect Obaneuf's is going to be the same. I want them to look like dress boots so that they'll have a nice shine and finish.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would stop using montana on them. That is pretty much the same as obaneuf's. I just hope that they aren't "ruined" from a shiny finish. I had a pair of Barker Black shoes that before I knew anything I treated with Obaneuf's and it completely ruined the finish from being able to take a shine. I worked on them for months, sent them to Nick V., sent them to Ron Rider, nothing.

I would definitely just use renovateur and normal wax polish on them. Depending on how much montana you have on there right now I would even use deglazer, or color preparer to get it off, reno, then rebuild a finish.

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Suede protector spray for the suede, and a wax or cream polish for the calf depending on what kind of shine you want. Maybe cover the calf up with newspaper or something when spraying with the suede protector.

Would you say the Kiwi Protect All work on both leather and suede? I dont think I wanna walk outside without a suede protection, thanks Patrick

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, ok - I've finally gotten onboard with Saphir. I ordered a proper boatload of their products from The Hanger Project - renovateur, waxes, creams, you name it. Here's hoping I'll be contributing pics of some hard won results in the near future! :nodding:

SHS

Reaction score

Ok, ok - I've finally gotten onboard with Saphir. I ordered a proper boatload of their products from The Hanger Project - renovateur, waxes, creams, you name it. Here's hoping I'll be contributing pics of some hard won results in the near future! :nodding:

Me too. Good luck with it!

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
What is the word on Neutral colored Saphir Medaille D'or for use on Navy calf? I know neutral paste/wax/creme is not recommended for shell, but what about for off-color shoes in calf (navy, green, etc.)?

Last edited:

swiego

Reaction score
I took advice from somewhere else -- can't remember -- and picked up some Brooks Brothers cordovan-color paste wax for my burgundy shell cordovan AEs. The result was spectacular; they looked better than ever, and rain drops which were leaving marks on the shoe when it had AE cordovan shoe cream did nothing to the leather with a thin coat of this paste wax. Very pleased with it, at least for shell cordovan that gets finicky about water.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics