• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G Rex

Reaction score
What measure of success do you think a competent cobbler could achieve if they re-dye these Color 8 shell Alden Full Straps during restoration, so that they better match each other? Not looking for perfection, just a better match.

These have been freshly and gently Renomat-ed, Renovateur-ed, and polished with Saphir MDO Cordovan Creme, in Saphir's Color 8/Burgundy color. Also, a good deer bone session put the uppers in incredible shape. The before/after difference is nothing short of astounding.

Photo 1: indoor, indirect sunlight, 9:00 AM
Photo 2: outdoor, direct sunlight, 9:00 AM

I bought these Color 8 shell Full Straps new from the D.C. store in '17. They have had plenty of wear, 1-3x/week depending on how often I'm in court, and are due for new cork, soles, and heels.

While the color difference is immediately noticeable, it's slightly less drastic than the photographs display. There's still some red/burgundy in the left shoe, but depending on lighting conditions, the left shoe can look almost black.

I've seen one post circa 2010 about someone whose shell Aldens aged and colored unevenly - he explained not only that this phenomenon is not unusual with shell, but also that Alden re-dyed his pair to better match each other. Unfortunately, only the "before" picture was available.

IMG_4B515A6BB1E4-1.jpeg
IMG_11FAC9988361-1.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What measure of success do you think a competent cobbler could achieve if they re-dye these Color 8 shell Alden Full Straps during restoration, so that they better match each other? Not looking for perfection, just a better match.

These have been freshly and gently Renomat-ed, Renovateur-ed, and polished with Saphir MDO Cordovan Creme, in Saphir's Color 8/Burgundy color. Also, a good deer bone session put the uppers in incredible shape. The before/after difference is nothing short of astounding.

Photo 1: indoor, indirect sunlight, 9:00 AM
Photo 2: outdoor, direct sunlight, 9:00 AM

I bought these Color 8 shell Full Straps new from the D.C. store in '17. They have had plenty of wear, 1-3x/week depending on how often I'm in court, and are due for new cork, soles, and heels.

While the color difference is immediately noticeable, it's slightly less drastic than the photographs display. There's still some red/burgundy in the left shoe, but depending on lighting conditions, the left shoe can look almost black.

I've seen one post circa 2010 about someone whose shell Aldens aged and colored unevenly - he explained not only that this phenomenon is not unusual with shell, but also that Alden re-dyed his pair to better match each other. Unfortunately, only the "before" picture was available.

View attachment 2073151 View attachment 2073153

You don't need to use a deer bone. It does absolutely nothing.

But I have heard you can redye cordovan. I would suggest you speak with a cobbler who has a lot of experience with shell specifically, not just calf.

I think some people on the Vintage Show thread also have done this. You might want to ask there.

G Rex

Reaction score
You don't need to use a deer bone. It does absolutely nothing.

But I have heard you can redye cordovan. I would suggest you speak with a cobbler who has a lot of experience with shell specifically, not just calf.

I think some people on the Vintage Show thread also have done this. You might want to ask there.
I used the deer bone to great effect on the Full Straps - there was major roll deformation in the vamp and toebox that is almost completely gone now. Wish I had snapped a picture before I started. I am a Deer Bone True Believer™ now.

Will check the Vintage Show forum, thanks for the heads up. Managed to find a video of Steve from Bedo's doing a Color 8 dye on a pair of Alden shell loafers too.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used the deer bone to great effect on the Full Straps - there was major roll deformation in the vamp and toebox that is almost completely gone now. Wish I had snapped a picture before I started. I am a Deer Bone True Believer™ now.

Will check the Vintage Show forum, thanks for the heads up. Managed to find a video of Steve from Bedo's doing a Color 8 dye on a pair of Alden shell loafers too.

The problem is: The rolls are going to come back immediately. You can't unroll cordovan, just as you can't uncrease calf. It will totally smooth out the rolls--until you wear 'em. The rolls have changed the fiber of the shell. There's no going back.

But yeah, it's absolutely amazing to me how different your shoes look. Alden's shell is really weird in how it works. It is almost like you were walking in sunlight with one pair in utter darkness with the other.

G Rex

Reaction score
It is almost like you were walking in sunlight with one pair in utter darkness with the other.
There's a metaphor in there, haha. I try to walk in the light, but the human condition is such, and will always remain...

I've found two anecdotes so far of Alden re-dyeing color 8 shell, one here, one elsewhere; neither saying whether the end product was darker or lighter, nor whether uniformity between each shoe was achievable. I just don't know if the dyeing process is a more "start-from-scratch" process or just an overcoat.

Regarding the rolls, that's kind of disappointing, but understandable given the deformation of the fiber that caused them in the first place - but I'm happy they can be tamed from time to time, if only for show. Gives me a bit of sweat equity in them beyond mere polishing. And it definitely helps with scratches.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a metaphor in there, haha. I try to walk in the light, but the human condition is such, and will always remain...

I've found two anecdotes so far of Alden re-dyeing color 8 shell, one here, one elsewhere; neither saying whether the end product was darker or lighter, nor whether uniformity between each shoe was achievable. I just don't know if the dyeing process is a more "start-from-scratch" process or just an overcoat.

Regarding the rolls, that's kind of disappointing, but understandable given the deformation of the fiber that caused them in the first place - but I'm happy they can be tamed from time to time, if only for show. Gives me a bit of sweat equity in them beyond mere polishing. And it definitely helps with scratches.

Shell is a harder material to dye than suede or calf, so I really don't know. I imagine it could be a difficult fix to match perfectly, and you'd definitely not match the lighter, it'd be more like darkening the lighter to make the already dark shoe.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on whether Barbour wax dressing would work on C&J roughout suede?

Johnniegold

Reaction score
I'm not understanding what you think the polishing bones are doing?

You'd get better results with a cloth/brush. The bones are, quite literally, useless. They don't do anything?

I disagree. I’ve used them for years and they smooth out the creases in the shell cordovan as well as removing scratches and smoothing out nicks as well.

You can’t go from this….
IMG_6899.jpeg

To this…

IMG_6900.jpeg

With just a brush/cloth.

chrfi

Reaction score
I had to take my trusty AS Cambridge boots to a shoemaker to fix the inner lining, it's worn through at the heels. They fit me very well and there is not heel slip that I can feel. They are my most worn boots so I guess it's just that, the dainite soles are quite worn also and heels have to be replaced this spring too.

GuyLab

Reaction score
How would you remove water stains like this one?
IMG_20240313_094007.jpg

I know it's pretty light but it bugs me nonetheless. Tried rubbing it with a damp cloth but didn't work

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads