• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FJCruiser

Reaction score
So dot com recently helped locate the UNCONSTRUCTED SPORT COAT STYLE NUMBER: 85545436 in 38R at the West Broadway store, and for $300 w/tax, and shipped, I must say this is an awesome jacket (not sure its worth the $990 list price). Its much lighter (in terms of fabric weight) than it appears in the picture on the site. Online, it almost appears like Denim and much lighter shade - in reality its a deeper indigo color. Should be ok for both summer/fall.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=85545436

On a side note (not RRL related) the Levi's LVC White tab shirt (Based on the 1907 Sunset shirt) just arrived and is a steal for the price (link below). Its well made and cut slim from Japanese Selvedge; and if I was to guess its about 6 oz, kind of thick.for summer. MSRP is $130, discounted to $64.90 (in INDIGO STRIPE), and with the additional 40% discount being offered currently, it came down to $41.21 w/ tax. All sizes, S, M, L, XL in INDIGO STRIPE are currently available at the time of this posting.

http://www.levi.com/US/en_US/mens-clothing-shirts/p/226430004

Last edited:

FJCruiser

Reaction score
I recently picked up the RRL Chambray shirt in light Indigo (single pocket and dark blue buttons) on sale at the Atlanta store... I think it was about $70 (list $225) from the SP1 collection (its not showing up online so cannot post a link). About the same time, I had ordered the Levi's light indigo chambray shirt (link below) which just arrived. The fabric on both is very similar (in terms of weave and weight) with the RRL chambray being half a shade darker. The stitching on the Levi's is not comparable to the RRL shirt (the Levi's is a regular Red tab) but the fit is almost identical. At $17 though the Levi's beats the RRL.

http://www.levi.com/US/en_US/mens-clothing-shirts/p/195860014

Edit: the Levi's is a White tab, not Red. Also, upon closer look, it does have double chain stitching. It also seems like its the same fabric but the Levi's seems once washed and the RRL not... but not sure.

Last edited:

Cooly

Reaction score

So dot com recently helped locate the UNCONSTRUCTED SPORT COAT [SIZE=20.007px][COLOR=333333]STYLE NUMBER[/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=333333]: 85545436 in 38R at the West Broadway store, and for $300 w/tax, and shipped, I must say this is an awesome jacket (not sure its worth the $990 list price). Its much lighter (in terms of fabric weight) than it appears in the picture on the site. Online, it almost appears like Denim and much lighter shade - in reality its a deeper indigo color. Should be ok for both summer/fall. [/COLOR] http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=85545436 [COLOR=333333]On a side note (not RRL related) the Levi's LVC White tab shirt (Based on the 1907 Sunset shirt) just arrived and is a steal for the price (link below). Its well made and cut slim from Japanese Selvedge; and if I was to guess its about 6 oz, kind of thick.for summer. MSRP is $130, discounted to $64.90 (in[/COLOR] INDIGO STRIPE) [COLOR=333333], and with the additional 40% discount being offered currently, it came down to $41.21 w/ tax. All sizes, S, M, L, XL in [/COLOR]INDIGO STRIPE are currently available at the time of this posting. http://www.levi.com/US/en_US/mens-clothing-shirts/p/226430004
I've been wearing the Unconstructed Sport Coat "a lot" the past few months (I got when it first came out) ... It's the perfect Spring/Summer Sport coat (it's cotton) to wear with jeans (and khakis) ... I love the fabric/color ... Be forwarned ... It bleeds a lot of Indigo at first ... Be careful with khakis or lite colored furniture (I.e conference room tables :) ) with that piece ... They should be coming out with a similar one made out of wool for Fall ...

Last edited:

FJCruiser

Reaction score
I've been wearing the Unconstructed Sport Coat "a lot" the past few months (I got when it first came out) ... It's the perfect Spring/Summer Sport coat (it's cotton) to wear with jeans (and khakis) ... I love the fabric/color

... Be forwarned ... It bleeds a lot of Indigo at first ... Be careful with khakis or lite colored furniture (I.e conference room tables
smile.gif
) with that piece ...
They should be coming out with a similar one made out of wool for Fall ...
Thanks for the heads up Cooly!

avera

Reaction score
Wythe Boots

Has anyone bought the new RRL captoe Wythe boots? I've been trying to google for a a picture of them being worn and/or with a bit of wear on them but no success so far.

dusttruffle

Reaction score
Got some of the tan officer cords incoming.

Description uses the term "Bedford" so I assume (aka hope) the fabric is like the LVC Bedford cords (quite firm/stiff)

Don't know how other people how found RRL Officers but it seems the cut /sizing has got a bit smaller recently ?

Last edited:

FJCruiser

Reaction score
Hello experts,

I have seen two versions of the Bowery Boot at the local store - the upper looks exactly the same on both with the only difference being the sole. One has the all-leather smooth sole (with a layer of black rubber out-sole on heel only) - this is the version that you see on the RRL website. And the other has the black rubber out-sole all the way - this one is not on the site. What is the difference between the two? Is one better than the other? Why was only one version on sale and not the other?

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think there's any meaningful difference other than one has the full dainite sole.
I suspect one was new season versus previous season which is why one wasn't on sale.

DJ Quaaludes

Reaction score
Given that it's our hot summer season where I'm at, it will be a couple of months before I can start breaking out the warmer gear. Which is a shame (1st world problems), since I've got some things I really want to put to use. Below are some of my favorite recent pick-ups I'll be looking to break in come fall (RRL Brooks Wash Low Straights, PRL Indigo Cardi, Frye Artisanal Harness)

What is everyone else looking forward to being able to wear come fall/winter?

BaronFizzwell

Reaction score
Hello experts,

I have seen two versions of the Bowery Boot at the local store - the upper looks exactly the same on both with the only difference being the sole. One has the all-leather smooth sole (with a layer of black rubber out-sole on heel only) - this is the version that you see on the RRL website. And the other has the black rubber out-sole all the way - this one is not on the site. What is the difference between the two? Is one better than the other? Why was only one version on sale and not the other?

I've got both versions, and apart from preferring the design of the one with the full Dainite sole because of its brass eyelets and speed hooks as opposed to the black ones, I'd have to recommend the one with the full leather sole for practicality reasons.

I was actually going to post a question on here related to this, so hopefully this post both answers your question and asks mine.

With the full Dainite sole, the Dainite sole is stitched (Goodyear welted?) to the boot itself, and when the time comes for it to be replaced, it requires tracking down a cobbler who not only has access to Dainite products, but who can remove and restitch the entire bottom of the boot.

With the smooth leather sole, you can just have a Topy or similar sole covering applied, and re applied each time that wears down. I'm sure this is much easier, faster and more economical than having the entire bottom of the boot remade.

The heels are Dainite on both, but would be much less trouble to replace.

My question is, has anyone here worn down their Dainite sole and had to replace them? How hard was it to get done? I've spoken to one of the sales people at Cheaney, and he was a bit cagey about revealing whether or not they made them, so sending them back there to be redone may not be an option, although it would be the best one if it were possible ...

FJCruiser

Reaction score
I've got both versions, and apart from preferring the design of the one with the full Dainite sole because of its brass eyelets and speed hooks as opposed to the black ones, I'd have to recommend the one with the full leather sole for practicality reasons.

I was actually going to post a question on here related to this, so hopefully this post both answers your question and asks mine.

With the full Dainite sole, the Dainite sole is stitched (Goodyear welted?) to the boot itself, and when the time comes for it to be replaced, it requires tracking down a cobbler who not only has access to Dainite products, but who can remove and restitch the entire bottom of the boot.

With the smooth leather sole, you can just have a Topy or similar sole covering applied, and re applied each time that wears down. I'm sure this is much easier, faster and more economical than having the entire bottom of the boot remade.

The heels are Dainite on both, but would be much less trouble to replace.

My question is, has anyone here worn down their Dainite sole and had to replace them? How hard was it to get done? I've spoken to one of the sales people at Cheaney, and he was a bit cagey about revealing whether or not they made them, so sending them back there to be redone may not be an option, although it would be the best one if it were possible ...

Thanks for the insights! I actually ordered (Remote Send) the one with the full black rubber, Dainite, sole. However, they shipped the one with the smooth (and almost slippery to walk in) leather sole version. And I am now debating whether to return this and get the Dainite version. My local store had the Dainite version in stock but it had some scuff marks on the leather so they ordered it for me from another store. Also, the smooth-leather-sole version I received does not have black eyelets/speed-hooks, it has the shiny golden yellow (brass?) eyelets/hooks. I spoke with dot com and they said there's no difference between the two other than the sole construction.

The reason I preferred the Dainite sole version is because, due to an injury, my right leg is slightly shorter than my left, and to compensate for the discrepancy, and on advise from my doctor, I get all my shoes altered by a cobbler - this involves adding an extra layer of out-sole on the right shoe (along with a thick leather insole inside). Do you, or anyone else here more knowledgeable about these boots than I, think that such a modification on the smooth leather sole version would be easier than the Dainite version?

Secondly, what is a Topy sole? From a quick google search it seems like its a very thin outsole to be glued on?

Any/all guidance on this is much appreciated as I need to decide on whether to keep this pair or exchange. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

FJCruiser

Reaction score
I don't think there's any meaningful difference other than one has the full dainite sole.
I suspect one was new season versus previous season which is why one wasn't on sale.
Yes, I spoke with dot com and they confirmed there is no other difference.

koidragon

Reaction score

Given that it's our hot summer season where I'm at, it will be a couple of months before I can start breaking out the warmer gear. Which is a shame (1st world problems), since I've got some things I really want to put to use. Below are some of my favorite recent pick-ups I'll be looking to break in come fall (RRL Brooks Wash Low Straights, PRL Indigo Cardi, Frye Artisanal Harness) What is everyone else looking forward to being able to wear come fall/winter?
That Cardigan looks great.

BaronFizzwell

Reaction score

Depending on which eyelets and speed hooks you like, it sounds like you were lucky to get the one with the smooth leather sole.

Like yourself, I do prefer the whole sole to be Dainite, however as I mentioned, it would be much more of a pain and expense to replace. Of course, if you're spending that amount of money on the boots, that may not be a problem ... A Topy is pretty much what you found on Google, and the word is often used (from what I've seen here anyway) as a generic term, the way Hoover is used in England for vacuuming, even though Topy is an actual brand.

There are different schools of thought on whether or not to glue an extra out sole onto the boots. Some say that the leather is high quality enough as it is, that there is a reason it's leather, to make it strong, and that adding an extra layer will upset the balance and thickness of the sole. While that may be true, I do think that once that leather sole starts to wear down, it will need to be replaced. It may also assist with more grip compared to a leather sole.

I'm quite curious as to the finish of the leather, as there has been major variation with this from batch to batch. My smooth leather soled pair has a very dull, matte finish leather, while the pair with the full Dainite sole that I have has a much shinier finish, and it feels much more like it's a hard shell. At the time I bought this pair, the ones you currently have had just been released as the new batch, and the store owner at Melrose told me on the phone that the finish on them was very different again. He said they were much more matte than both the previous pairs I have, although you probably don't have a point of reference ...

Hope this helps, but it does sound like the brass speed hooks and ease of sole replacement sounds like you have the right pair, unless you don't like brass of course.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faux59