• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lachy
These won't stretch though, right? Usually you buy the jeans so you can just button them, then they stretch out to a nice comfy fit. But I've never found trousers to stretch.
I sized down one for mine and have to wash them quite often because they stretch so much. One of the more stretchy pair of khakis I own. It's enough of a nuisance that the stretching has reduced my appreciation for these pants.

Lachy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by travisttt
Thanks for the info! There is a church near my apartment. Maybe if I can get the priest to write a note, the RRL store on Melrose will save a pair of grail chino's for me.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by airportlobby
I sized down one for mine and have to wash them quite often because they stretch so much. One of the more stretchy pair of khakis I own.

Awwwww, you're making this difficult for me. Mauro only got in even sizes (maybe they only come in even sizes?) So I think a 32 will be too small, but a 34 might be too big if it stretches like you say! I'm leaning towards the 34 though, I can get them taken in if need be, but if the 32s are too small then I'm in a bit of trouble.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sizing up might be better to avoid stretching out the upper of the 32s and having them look like jodhpurs. On the other hand, these have flap pockets, so if you have to take them in a lot, the pocket placement may look funny.

Lachy

Reaction score
Nathan says the 34s measure 36", and that the 32s measure 34.5". I'm going to take a chance on the 32s. If they're a little snug, it'll just be more incentive for me to work a bit harder at the gym!

BTW, Nathan is awesome!
worship.gif

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want some officers chino's.

I'm hoping I get my back pay through on my next pay, as the W+H denim should be landing soon too.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I'll be honest, the last time I handled them was about eight months ago for no more than a couple of minutes. That said, the fabric was pretty damn crisp and rigid compared to the 8oz chinos. Is it enough of a difference to warrant the additional cost?

I'll put it this way:
-No one else does this chino. KMW's version is obviously very nice but at $275 retail their fabric isn't as substantial nor as limited as RRL.
-If you're shelling out for RRL it's because you're not looking for a pair of J.Crew's that you can have altered; you're looking for better fabric, construction, and attention to detail and if this is the best RRL has to offer then you're paying for a "grail" piece, the chino.
-Going along the "grail" idea, you're also paying for the nerd/collector value at that price range but that's not to say that RRL is marking it up just for the sake of it. The fabric is EXPENSIVE (that's what you're paying for) and for better or worse it looks like for the upcoming seasons RRL is going to use even more expensive fabrics for their garments; I guess you can think of these chinos as the rude introduction.

FWIW, it's clearly expensive for what it is and I'd have no trouble understanding why people would bash it for the price as I was sticker shocked the first time I saw them. That said, after a few minutes of mulling it over I began to put it in my fall wishlist for a couple of reasons: I don't wear chinos so if I had to get one pair for my closet why not make it the pair and the fabric is about as legit as I've ever handled for a chino. It's pretty obvious I'm a RRL fanboy so my opinions will be skewed but hopefully tainted with some truth.

Expensive limited run fabrics made on old looms then imported accross an ocean tend to run expensive.

I can never understand how this place argues about cost / value all the time, on lines that have quality as a fundemental.

People will *****, then go to J Crew and buy officers chino in 8 colours, including eggplant and blueberry.

FFS

The reasons who has just sited are my thoughts too (though I have obviously never handled the chinos). I rarely wear trousers casually, I've been looking add a pair of chinos, and these seem like the ****. Plus, that magic word "selvage", it's like catnip.

This.

I'm usually in denim, or shorts, and would like one good pair of chino's to throw in.

StarterStyle

Reaction score
The Chicago store had absolutely nothing in the way of Chambray shirts or raw denim that wasn't boot-cut.

Correction, there was one very light indigo chambray workshirt in my size, but it had a snag and a hole in the back
frown.gif

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nathan says the 34s measure 36", and that the 32s measure 34.5". I'm going to take a chance on the 32s. If they're a little snug, it'll just be more incentive for me to work a bit harder at the gym!

BTW, Nathan is awesome!
worship.gif

You stole my pants...Damn you!

Lachy

Reaction score
You have to be quick, my friend. Maybe you'll get lucky and they won't fit me. God, I hope not though.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have to be quick, my friend. Maybe you'll get lucky and they won't fit me. God, I hope not though.

nah...i have spent a lot of money and just decided i wanted them today...

greg_1006

Reaction score
Anyone who is willing please post fit pictures of the RRL officers when you get them. Any other RRL fit pictures would be great as well. I just wish I could afford the stuff right now.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anybody provide available colors for both the officer and regulation chinos?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads