• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just want to take a moment and tip my hat to all of you that commute into DC for work. I commuted to Chantilly from Silver Spring and back every day this week and it was a super bummer.

You poor souls that do it on the reg.
My first job out of college had me commuting from Chantilly to Suitland, Md.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drove from Frederick, MD to Shady Grove for the Metro. Made for long days but wanted to live out where I could afford a big house in a great school district. Also had family in town. Sold house and moved down to Arlington as soon as kids left for college.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah i live about 15 minutes from my employers headquarters for when I want face to face time. Otherwise I work from home. Pretty ideal really which is one of the reasons I have stayed with my employer (not to mention good colleagues and boss which is huge)

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one good thing that came out of the pandemic is that everyone realized that the world wouldn’t end if office workers teleworked from home. I dread the days I have to go into the office even though my commute is relatively short by DC area standards (25 to 45 minutes depending on how soon the Metrobus and Metrorail arrive).

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was definitely a blessing. Employers could no longer rely on a false narrative to justify only in office work with the levels of technology we use now.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had dinner at Daru yesterday (newer Indian restaurant on MD Ave, NE DC) and it was excellent. Highly recommend the bison momo, sea bass, and daal burrata (not a combination you'd expect would work but it does). Tough to get weekend reservations so all we could get two weeks out was 5:45 on a Wednesday.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok gents I'm looking into my first true dress loafer that is neither a driver or a boat shoe. I plan on using this primarily in the periods of April-September with my business casual and occasionally less formal separates/suits like I post here. Im looking primarily at either a penny or tassel. Thoughts on suede vs leather? Likely going brown for suede just not sure how dark or light. If I go leather likely a darker brown or burgundy shade. Open to all insights and opinions.

I will eventually have two at least with one for sure more formal. Just feel the warmer flexible one is the bigger need now.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like both leather and suede loafers, but prefer the latter. Easier to dress down with more casual spring/summer outfits. I don't like tassel loafers that much; they look a bit fussy to me. Butterfly loafers have a nice visual interest. Stay away from string loafers that tie a knot. A string on one of my loafers snapped and now it looks strange next to my other loafer with an intact string.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I feel the way you do about tassels with string loafers. Maybe even potentially Tassels but I am undecided. I also wonder if the movement of the tassels while walking will drive me insane.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I feel the way you do about tassels with string loafers. Maybe even potentially Tassels but I am undecided. I also wonder if the movement of the tassels while walking will drive me insane.

I have these which are like a shoe lace tassel. It makes me violent feeling them flap about and then they untie...

ralph-lauren-purple-label-Tan-Ralph-Lauren-Harold-Tassel-Calfskin-Driver.jpeg

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have these which are like a shoe lace tassel. It makes me violent feeling them flap about and then they untie...

ralph-lauren-purple-label-Tan-Ralph-Lauren-Harold-Tassel-Calfskin-Driver.jpeg
Oh dear. I think I better go with my gut and stick to something more simple and sleek for the first one then. It likely fits my aesthetic more anyways. The last thing I want or need is more travel drag and noise from anything I wear or carry. Glad I mentioned that odd thought since it seems I'm not the only one.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh dear. I think I better go with my gut and stick to something more simple and sleek for the first one then. It likely fits my aesthetic more anyways. The last thing I want or need is more travel drag and noise from anything I wear or carry. Glad I mentioned that odd thought since it seems I'm not the only one.
I wear C&J Grantham's in leather with tailoring and casually as well. Harvard's in suede for casual.

1682611897732.png

1682611923608.png

1682611971393.png

1682611993379.png

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok gents I'm looking into my first true dress loafer that is neither a driver or a boat shoe. I plan on using this primarily in the periods of April-September with my business casual and occasionally less formal separates/suits like I post here. Im looking primarily at either a penny or tassel. Thoughts on suede vs leather? Likely going brown for suede just not sure how dark or light. If I go leather likely a darker brown or burgundy shade. Open to all insights and opinions.

I will eventually have two at least with one for sure more formal. Just feel the warmer flexible one is the bigger need now.
Ah the "One Loafers to Rule Them All" debate. I think the mid-brown suede penny loafer is the most versatile. If you plan on wearing with casual tailoring, something with a more tapered toe like these would be good (no personal experience with the brand):
I used to be dead set against tassels but I found a pair of burgundy cordovan Alden's for a great price on eBay and they're now one of my favorite shoes. They're definitely dressier than suede tassels and I've even worn them to court with my business suits. But they don't read well with linens or shorts on hotter days the same way suede pennies do.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah the "One Loafers to Rule Them All" debate. I think the mid-brown suede penny loafer is the most versatile. If you plan on wearing with casual tailoring, something with a more tapered toe like these would be good (no personal experience with the brand):
I used to be dead set against tassels but I found a pair of burgundy cordovan Alden's for a great price on eBay and they're now one of my favorite shoes. They're definitely dressier than suede tassels and I've even worn them to court with my business suits. But they don't read well with linens or shorts on hotter days the same way suede pennies do.
I've tried more tapered loafers but they just don't fit my large ugly feet. Resigned myself to the more rounded toe box.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads