• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to NYC to their store pre-covid. Got measured. I got one of their shirts because they were heavily hyped. It was all cotton. I always wash my new shirts regardless. Had major shrinkage. I was not happy as I paid over $100 for their shirts.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure they closed their NY store way before covid.
They did close their store before Covid.

I’ve heard trusted sources that really like their shirts. Especially their ocbds. I have one, it’s okay, I bought it a long time ago when I needed a white shirt & forgot it, so was in a pinch. I rarely wear it though but I also don’t like ocbds, so take that for what it’s worth.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah im a weird with sizing on shirts so likely MtM is the way. The sizing chart had me all over the place.

JJL

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to the DC/NoVA area and could really use some recommendations for a tailor who does alterations.

Back where I used to live, I could easily get Ring Jacket RTW suits at a good price, and they fit me quite well without major alterations. Typically, I'd just need a tailor to sew in the sleeve buttons, hem the trousers and add turn-up cuffs.

I know about Field English Custom Tailor in DC, but from what I've gathered, they can be pretty pricey. So, I'm hoping to find a good-value tailor for alterations here in the DC/NoVA area. Ideally, I'm looking for a place that specializes in suit alterations. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to the DC/NoVA area and could really use some recommendations for a tailor who does alterations.

Back where I used to live, I could easily get Ring Jacket RTW suits at a good price, and they fit me quite well without major alterations. Typically, I'd just need a tailor to sew in the sleeve buttons, hem the trousers and add turn-up cuffs.

I know about Field English Custom Tailor in DC, but from what I've gathered, they can be pretty pricey. So, I'm hoping to find a good-value tailor for alterations here in the DC/NoVA area. Ideally, I'm looking for a place that specializes in suit alterations. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Man, this topic comes up like every five minutes here!

I've used Geoffrey Lewis since about 2007. Superb work always and not too pricey.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Man, this topic comes up like every five minutes here!

I've used Geoffrey Lewis since about 2007. Superb work always and not too pricey.

+1

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The only one I’d trust with high end rtw is William Field. I’ve used other well-regarded tailors in New York for altering rtw to save money & always regretted it.

I used the guy the armoury recommends in manhattan (wazin). They took in tuxedo trousers too much & no the trousers are wearing prematurely by the crotch.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, newbie to the area here. Would appreciate any recommendations on where to get chainstitch hemming for a pair of denim I just purchased (orSlow 105s). Unfortunately my little legs require some adjustments.
Nowhere locally. Ship it somewhere.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nowhere locally. Ship it somewhere.
Nothing beats having a good tailor with a good eye see the garment actually on the customer.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha! You’ve never met someone with a chainstitch machine hemming denim. They ain’t tailors. Find your length, cut, sew. Most of the dudes hemming fancy denim are just sales associates.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha! You’ve never met someone with a chainstitch machine hemming denim. They ain’t tailors. Find your length, cut, sew. Most of the dudes hemming fancy denim are just sales associates.
Oh, not a denim guy. I have two pair of jeans because wifey insists. Kiton and Levi’s and I wear them sparingly. I was talking about tailoring. 😎

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arlington sunrise from Thursday. Highlighting dirty windows!

IMG_9007.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads