• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Beer Thread

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Yeah, id agree with that. After thinking about it, its kind of arrogamt to wonder what my style is. As ive never really been able to cook "my food" until now. I guess thats thr plus of working here. I can do whatever I want, whether its cassoulet, curry, gambas a ajillo, or meatloaf. i dont have to make steak frites bc im at a bistro with only bistro food.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
For those interested or that care:
Halibut dish- Hitachino white Also, can't find any good commercial mead and my dad's mead is either already drank or still aging, so I may change the broth to somethign else.
Potato-leek ravioli- Bell's Pale Ale
Beer brined pork cheeks- Blvd Smokestack series Saison Brett... tasted it with distributor today, will be an awesome match IMO

Also added beer cheese soup with anderson valley brewing boont amber ale and a chocolate stout cake with cherry sorbet paired with Left Hand Milk Stout.

Another 2 courses, amuse, mezzo, and migs left to figure out still.

Last edited:

alexg

Reaction score
Didn't realize Saison Brett was that easy to find. I have one bottle thanks to bond111, but I'm waiting for the brett to get more pronounced before I taste it. Those pairings sound good, the only thing I'd consider is their relative flavor profiles. Saisons are generally lighter bodied than pale ales, and hops and brett are both pretty strong flavors in different ways. I also forgot about Scotch Ales before. Founders Dirty Bastard would go well with the ravioli or pork, and possibly even the halibut.

As a thread related aside, thanks to SVD for Hopslam and King Henry. I had the Hopslam pretty much immediately after picking it up at Gramercy Tavern, which raised the point of corkage fees for beer. Still, it was one of the better IPAs I've had, even 2 months old. Much better than this year's Founders Double Trouble, which for some reason tastes like rubbing alcohol. I also had Professor Fritz Briem 1809 which was pretty good. The most interesting thing I had though recently was Stillwater Premium, which I was told was an adjunct beer with brett added. It was much better than I expected it to be, similar to a normal saison. A lot of flavor for such low alcohol content.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

For those interested or that care:
Halibut dish- Hitachino white Also, can't find any good commercial mead and my dad's mead is either already drank or still aging, so I may change the broth to somethign else.
Potato-leek ravioli- Bell's Pale Ale
Beer brined pork cheeks- Blvd Smokestack series Saison Brett... tasted it with distributor today, will be an awesome match IMO
Also added beer cheese soup with anderson valley brewing boont amber ale and a chocolate stout cake with cherry sorbet paired with Left Hand Milk Stout.
Another 2 courses, amuse, mezzo, and migs left to figure out still.

Bell's Pale and Anderson Boont both suck. You can find WAY better versions of both.

Not sure what flavors you're going for with the halibut. I still say get rid of the potato leek ravioli for some other filling.

And I REALLY don't get how Saison Brett will go with beer brined pork cheeks. That's like drinking champagne. I'd go with a crisp ale, or completely go the other way with a dark stout.

Basically what I'm saying is that I hate this menu. Beer cheez soup? What is this, a ******* TGI Fridays?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

Didn't realize Saison Brett was that easy to find. I have one bottle thanks to bond111, but I'm waiting for the brett to get more pronounced before I taste it. Those pairings sound good, the only thing I'd consider is their relative flavor profiles. Saisons are generally lighter bodied than pale ales, and hops and brett are both pretty strong flavors in different ways. I also forgot about Scotch Ales before. Founders Dirty Bastard would go well with the ravioli or pork, and possibly even the halibut.

It isn't *that* easy to find, although I get the sense that it is easier to find here than across the country, since Boulevard is only 4 hours away from me. My distributor was only allocated 3 cases of the Saison Brett, and I'm buying all 35 bottles, not counting the one that he gave me as a sample. It was that good, and it sounds like it can only get better with time. Whatever we don't use at the wine dinner, I'm going to buy for myself. It's only $5 wholesale cost.

I get what you mean with regards to the relative flavor profiles. But, IMO, the Brett yeast in this saison gave it a nice earthy roundness that won't make it awkward to taste after a pale ale.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

Bell's Pale and Anderson Boont both suck. You can find WAY better versions of both.
Not sure what flavors you're going for with the halibut. I still say get rid of the potato leek ravioli for some other filling.
And I REALLY don't get how Saison Brett will go with beer brined pork cheeks. That's like drinking champagne. I'd go with a crisp ale, or completely go the other way with a dark stout.
Basically what I'm saying is that I hate this menu. Beer cheez soup? What is this, a ******* TGI Fridays?

Sorry bro, but you seem to hate everything. If you want to write my menu and buy my beers and then come cook it for a bunch of people all on your own, feel free. Otherwise, I am more than confident with my choices.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Sorry bro, but you seem to hate everything. If you want to write my menu and buy my beers and then come cook it for a bunch of people all on your own, feel free. Otherwise, I am more than confident with my choices.

Meh, I just think you can do better. But that's because I have confidence in you.

Still, I'd definitely change out the beers. Seriously, you really can do better than the Bell's and Anderson Valley. Saison Brett is a favorite of the sour lovers in here so you definitely made a good choice with that one. Left Hand Milk Stout is a good all around stout and might be nice with a dessert or a sweet and savory combo dish.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ok, giving it 2 minutes of thought, I wouldn't recommend Terrapin Rye because I don't think it will pair with leeks well. People rave about Three Floyds Alpha King and Zombie Dust. Dale's is more of an ipa than a pale ale, IMO. Of the big name's, I'd probably say Stone or Anchor Liberty (my fav) were the best choices for pure pale ale styles.

Still don't know about the halibut. The beer and cheese soup I'd probably say an ipa would be good there. Something with some bite to cut through the heaviness of the soup. Dale's might work there. Or Bells Two Hearted, which the boys seem to think is excellent this year. Or a good German beer if you wanted to give it a more worldly feel.

If you can access it, try to seek out Oskar Blues' Ten Fidy. One of the best stouts to go with chocolate, even better than Left Hand.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woke up at 5am to get in line at Founders only to find out that a ******* army of people camped out overnight. Maybe MAYBE 500 people in line at 5:30. Last year I got there at 8 and was 150th. The line wrapped all the way across their entire property. Unreal.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Woke up at 5am to get in line at Founders only to find out that a ******* army of people camped out overnight. Maybe MAYBE 500 people in line at 5:30. Last year I got there at 8 and was 150th. The line wrapped all the way across their entire property. Unreal.

******* beer nerds

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:cry:

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are still a champion for your effort. :slayer:

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You need to start doing what the video game nerds do at Best Buy and pay a homeless man to stand in line for you. But :slayer: for trying

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads