• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever install sole protectors on their Aldens on their own? Contemplating getting the below, but wanted some feedback before or how good their are/ sizing.

https://www.amazon.com/Traveler-Pla...466534415&sr=8-4&keywords=shoe+sole+protector
I'm a heel striker and I do put these in myself. Only on the heels. Not on the tips. I think it doesn't really matter what size you use on the heels. I pick mine up at Xmart and they run $3 or so (there's like 4-6 pieces). Once I wear one of them down, I begin to look at getting the dovetail heel replaced.

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mhmt83

Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses guys...Sadly I am either putting them up for sale here or just returning them to the Shoemart.  They just don't fit quite right.  I went to my local store today who carries a small supply of Alden's and it looks like all three pairs of my shell Alden's are the wrong size!  I thought I was 10.5D Plaza and 10D Barrie but it looks like I am a 10.5E Plaza and a 10.5 D Barrie :(.  I couldn't be sadder.  Ed was so nice to include me on the list and now I'll have to wait 1-2 more years !  O well, champagne problems. 

Thanks again,  please let me know if anyone wants to purchase the Alden LWB 10D Whiskey.  I am not a jerk so I'm not looking to make a big profit.  I'll either sell them for what I bought them for or slightly above (because by the time I get them again, prices will be higher). I am going to talk to Ed though, I don't know if it is unethical not to return them, since he probably would go to the next in line on his list. They're 100% brand new, only tried them on 5 or so times on my carpet.

I also have a 10.5 D Plaza last PTB Six eyelet cigar, worn maybe..15-20 times and a 10.5D Plaza Color 8 6 eyelet NST worn 10-15 times. All this over my stupid pinky toe!  Would be happy to trade as well (not this whiskey unless it's new) l. I want probably what everyone else does...

1. LWB Whiskey, Cigar or Ravello with Antique Edge 10.5 D
2. WT Boot Ravello 10.5D
3. WT Boot Color 4 Hahah!
4.6 Eyelet Plaza NST Color 8 10.5E
5. Cigar PTB Plaza 10.5E
6. Mike's TSM makeup (Black Medallion Plaza Boot) 10.5E < He killed that makeup!

I must sound like an idiot for it to take three pairs to realize I was wearing the wrong size! Lesson learned, Cordovan DOES NOT STRETCH and if they don't fit great out of the box, they never will.

Best,

JJ

Sorry JJ, I know exactly how you feel- owned about 30 or so pair of Aldens before I realized I had mis-sized. I had the same exactly problem as well, one of my pinky toes was rubbing against the side. I think it's great you realized the problem this early on, much better than wearing the wrong size for > 1 yr and developing foot problems. You'll be able to recoup the rare shells, just have patience.

Hello guys,

I bought my first pair of Alden shoes 2 weeks ago based on sizing advices that i read here. 975 longwing bluchers color 8 in 9D. They fit quite well, maybe feel a little bit large  the left foot (smal one). i have a higher instep (right foot )so it feels much better in that case. 

Should i take the same size for the snuff suede version? or i can size down 1/2?

A part of that i would like to know if Leydon and Grant last are TTS ???  

Here the sizes i use for each brand. 

Alden Barrie : 9D US
Alden Leydon: ???
Alden Grant : ???

Carmina forest : 8,5 UK 
Carmina Uetam: 8,5 UK (string loafers), 9 UK ( penny calf)
Detroit : 8UK 

C&J : 8,5 UK 325, 341, 224 lasts. 

Thanks!

Typically people take the same size in shell and suede, there are however two details. One, shell tend to be lasted just about 1/4 size larger than the non-shell patterns. So if the current LWB fits large, then sizing down 1/2 should be OK. Second, if you go for a unlined snuff suede make up (thought I don't think any exist for the LWB pattern), then that will allow you to size down 1/2. Judging from you said, I think going with the same size (9D) is probably the best bet.

In terms of the Grant and Leydon, I would suggest trying both on as those are typically difficult to fit Alden lasts. My suggestions are based on the assumptions that you've gone down 1/2 size from TTS for the Barrie last.

The Grant is narrower than Barrie but not as severe as say Aberdeen, so some folks will go TTS for Grant and some will go with their Barrie size. If the width of Barrie fits you well then I would go TTS for Grant.

Leydon is tricky due to it being a very narrow last. People typically will stay the same length as TTS and go up a width. In your case that should be 9.5E. While stock grant shoes are hard to find, you should be able to find a Leydon unlined suede chukka in most store that carry Alden.

Thank you very much for the info!
Exactly. Grant #8 is really difficult to find, even more living in Europe that can be found just in some webs like fransandbone etc. And they dont have a restock yet.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fantastic boot Sazon. How old and from where please.

@donl wow, great shoes.

Thanks DV !

All I will say is that I'm over 21, but under 65. I'm from New York, but currently live in NJ.

:D

Jrs416

Reaction score
The shoes are sold - thanks everyone for their interest.

Last edited:

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question about 986 loafers.

I wore mine today with Chups and the fit was great, however I had some heel slippage and by midday the rubbing was getting bad and really sore.

Luckily I had two thick bandages at work so I bandaged the back of my ankles and they were perfect and really comfortable...no slippage.

Is there something that can be put inside the shoe to eliminate slippage and the resulting rubbing?

Or should I invest heavily in bandages ? :)

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question about 986 loafers.

I wore mine today with Chups and the fit was great, however I had some heel slippage and by midday the rubbing was getting bad and really sore.

Luckily I had two thick bandages at work so I bandaged the back of my ankles and they were perfect and really comfortable...no slippage.

Is there something that can be put inside the shoe to eliminate slippage and the resulting rubbing?

Or should I invest heavily in bandages ?
smile.gif

Pedag leather heel grip pads from Amazon?

I use them and they are great.

https://www.amazon.com/Pedag-Stop-P...id=1466550072&sr=8-2&keywords=pedag+heel+pads

Chris6

Reaction score

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been a long, long time since I last posted (back in the day using the name HorseHide). The Forum seems to be doing fine without my snarky commentary and I have somehow overcome the urge to reply to every newbie asking what size Barrie lasted Alden they should order if they wear a Converse size 11 with a prosthetic in the right shoe.

The reason for my brief return? I have a unicorn that someone on the thread may be interested in acquiring - the April 2016 whiskey saddle NSTs release made up on the Barrie last - size 9D. They are brand new, unworn and were $825 from the unnamed (exceptional) retailer. Try as I might, I just don't love them.

The successful buyer will pay $825 net to me (you will pay for insured FedEx or UPS shipping and any paypal fees). Those of you in finance will note that I'm not looking to make any money on these shoes but I'm also not looking for any drama. I have perfect feedback on the large auction site and these shoes will make their way to that site if this notice doesn't generate interest.

I know that this is not the appropriate thread to list these shoes but under the circumstances I consider this a PSA to the Alden thread readers. Interested? Send me a PM with your email.

If only you were 8D. Please tell me that the 9D was a typo? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads