• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Earlier this year I purchased my first pair of Aldens, #8 Alt Weins on Barrie, from Epaulet and they are my first pairs of shells as well. I sized down one full size to a 10! They were quite far out of my shoe comfort zone as I'm normally as SWD kind of guy but I wanted to try shell and not with a plain toe.....On the Epaulet board folks seem to belove these... I haven't worn them yet as I'm on the fence about perhaps selling them(having a hard time visualizing their versatility) but was wondering what color trouser best matches them and can they really be worn casually. Thanks!
The Antique Welt makes them work with casual, one of my favorites.. Well Done!

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Earlier this year I purchased my first pair of Aldens, #8 Alt Weins on Barrie, from Epaulet and they are my first pairs of shells as well. I sized down one full size to a 10!

They were quite far out of my shoe comfort zone as I'm normally as SWD kind of guy but I wanted to try shell and not with a plain toe.....On the Epaulet board folks seem to belove these...

I haven't worn them yet as I'm on the fence about perhaps selling them(having a hard time visualizing their versatility) but was wondering what color trouser best matches them and can they really be worn casually.

Thanks!

I'd wear those with denim and a button-down shirt, with almost any gray trouser (esp. flannels), heavier blue wool trousers, most cotton trousers.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone doing #8 Tanker Reverse Welt on Double Leather Sole Barrie last? Not a rubber sole fan. For that matter any Tanker Leather sole regardless of leather. Reason I ask is these boots breath well.:slayer:

AMD500

Reaction score
Earlier this year I purchased my first pair of Aldens, #8 Alt Weins on Barrie, from Epaulet and they are my first pairs of shells as well. I sized down one full size to a 10!

They were quite far out of my shoe comfort zone as I'm normally as SWD kind of guy but I wanted to try shell and not with a plain toe.....On the Epaulet board folks seem to belove these...

I haven't worn them yet as I'm on the fence about perhaps selling them(having a hard time visualizing their versatility) but was wondering what color trouser best matches them and can they really be worn casually.

Thanks!
SWD? What does that stand for?

Those are a great makeup & #8 Shell is probably the most versatile of all all shoe colors. It will work well with any range of gray or navy trousers, and also will look great with chinos. Also I would say by their very nature (blucher construction) these should be considered a casual shoe. That being said, if you don't like them, sell them and get something you feel more at home in.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SWD? What does that stand for?

Those are a great makeup & #8 Shell is probably the most versatile of all all shoe colors. It will work well with any range of gray or navy trousers, and also will look great with chinos. Also I would say by their very nature (blucher construction) these should be considered a casual shoe. That being said, if you don't like them, sell them and get something you feel more at home in.
Street wear and Denim. There is an SWD thread on SF....

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice.

I'm going to give them more thought. Maybe try them on with different trousers and such. I need to find the right niche for wearing them instead of what I normally wear, which is normally suede derbies and chukkas etc...

With denim, I wear Vibergs. Wearing the Alt Weins with denim would be a very distinctive look and so different from boots. It will be a situational decision for sure.....

I think my difficulty is that this is a shoe design(and color) I haven't worn anything like it before.

Right now, for me, I have to think hard what situation I'd wear them over Vibergs with denim.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The J Crew cap toe boots are great.  While I love mine, the color 8 wingtip boot gets much more wear from me.  I would consider them I f I were you.  They might even be easier to acquire.

Also, I'm close to moving on to player-improvement (forgiving) irons.  I've played blades all my life, so it's hard to make the move.

With already having a wing tip boot, that's why I was leaning towards the cap toe. But the wingtip model from Union Made looks awesome

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Earlier this year I purchased my first pair of Aldens, #8 Alt Weins on Barrie, from Epaulet and they are my first pairs of shells as well. I sized down one full size to a 10! They were quite far out of my shoe comfort zone as I'm normally as SWD kind of guy but I wanted to try shell and not with a plain toe.....On the Epaulet board folks seem to belove these... I haven't worn them yet as I'm on the fence about perhaps selling them(having a hard time visualizing their versatility) but was wondering what color trouser best matches them and can they really be worn casually. Thanks!
Those are amazing shoes and the fact you have now worn them yet is either a tribute to self control of acknowledgement of really poor judgement. I would have walked out the door with them immediately. The #8 looks great with navy blue and charcoal or light gray. Get going!!

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are amazing shoes and the fact you have now worn them yet is either a tribute to self control of acknowledgement of really poor judgement. I would have walked out the door with them immediately. The #8 looks great with navy blue and charcoal or light gray. Get going!!
Might be that.

I bought them on a whim because every poster I read loved them and the filled a spot in my collection that nothing I have is close to..

When I look at them I don't see casual, which to me is sort of blue collar. They seem more for dress up in my eyes. Thus my difficulty in situational wear. And when you've been wearing Vibergs, suede derbies or Buttero boots with denim and chinos like I have, these are so different. Seems like a deep divide between Vibergs etc. and suede derbies and the Alden, which are so beautiful.

The Alt Weins are sort of museum shoe in my mind.

I've got to get going is right.....Thanks.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote: The great thing about the pair is that you can dress them up or down. They can be casual or dressy, depending on what you pair them with. As for the color, here are some shots of #8 shell with several different color slacks. They are charcoal, light gray, tan and navy.

tps3443

Reaction score
I know mink oil is not the best thing to use on leather boots upper. I mainly use a damp cloth to clean with after every long day wear.

Although, I have put mink oil on my sole edge, and welt stitching and letting it soak. Then I wipe it off. The sole edge, and stiching just look amazing afterwords.

Is mink oil OK for use on just the sole edge? And on the Alden double weather welt? I have never let it touch my upper, as my boots do not get wet. The soles might every now and then.

Thanks for help everyone.

RTD1

Reaction score
I officially joined the Alden club yesterday:

I figured after hitting 10 pairs of AEs (all acquired in the last year) it was time to switch things up.

Bear in mind that up until a year ago, I spent decades in black, corrected grain, cemented, Bostonians (cap toe oxfords during the 90's, the dreaded squarish bicycle or apron toed slip-ons more recently) so I'm both making up for lost time and atoning for prior sins.

I've been reading up on the Mac Method and shell cordovan care in general. What are the forums thoughts on deer bones? It seems all of the US sources are out of stock, so where are people getting them?

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ee64e6a78c90e41875d7d414666129df.jpg

Snuff LHS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads