• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Old school whiskey crup LHS loafers today.

Looking good MrVaneri. Good choice today. :)

It seems to me from the photos that there are varying lengths to the vamps on the LHS models photographed recently. For example, the vamp on @mrvenneri seems longer than the one on @mdubs. Is this correct?

Partially it is camera angle, the other big thing is that my pair is unlined and unstructured. The wall isn't nearly as steep on the Unlined pairs and thus the vamp isn't as large.

Awesome combo, particularly with bright socks!

TO Tie Guy boot for me today:

Very nice. Enjoy your new Plaza WT Boots!

Wearing my Leffot Ravello Day Trippers with Ralph Lauren suit

Steve

Very nice Steve. Always a good day for the Ravello Daytrippers. Have a good one. Must be something big if you are in a suit!

-Mike

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to me from the photos that there are varying lengths to the vamps on the LHS models photographed recently. For example, the vamp on @mrvenneri seems longer than the one on @mdubs. Is this correct?

Mine are circa 2012 and fully lined. I also believe it's my camera angles that skew the proportions slightly. To take my pictures I bend down like I'm going to pick up a piece of paper, then Iphone flips them right-side up automatically.

I can not confirm nor deny, but consider:
1. they are likely different sizes.
2. the camera and perspective of the lens have a lot to do with the appearance.

100%!

Awesome combo, particularly with bright socks!

TO Tie Guy boot for me today:

Thank you good sir. Excellent snuffs as well! I'm still awaiting mine from Yenni. :(

Looking good MrVaneri. Good choice today. :)

-Mike

You as well Mike! You crushed my name but revitalized my spirit. :)

tobiasfunke

Reaction score
Thanks!

About the space in front of the toe... there's a good inch of extra space, even though the ball of my foot appears to be at the widest point of the shoe. Is that cause for concern?
To give you guys a rough idea of what I'm talking about, here's a photo of my foot next to the shoe:

Obviously, this isn't the best way to judge fit, but I was wondering if it looked normal or it screamed size down. Again, this is 10D Brannock sized down to 9.5D (Barrie).

Last edited:

TommyB

Reaction score

To give you guys a rough idea of what I'm talking about, here's a photo of my foot next to the shoe: Obviously, this isn't the best way to judge fit, but I was wondering if it looked normal or it screamed size down. Again, this is 10D Brannock sized down to 9.5D (Barrie).
As you say, it's hard to tell from a picture. I think the only way for you to really know is to try a 9D or 9E.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To give you guys a rough idea of what I'm talking about, here's a photo of my foot next to the shoe: Obviously, this isn't the best way to judge fit, but I was wondering if it looked normal or it screamed size down. Again, this is 10D Brannock sized down to 9.5D (Barrie).
I'm also a 10 on the brannock in both length and instep but I am a C width. My foot volume is low and so are my arches. However looking at that picture...you should definitely size down - maybe even a full size. Your metatarsal is well below the widest part of that blucher. Additional that toe space indicates that the sizing is too long for you. For reference I wear a 9D Barrie and I could probably go down a width or down a half size altogether. Additionally I prefer a snug fit. I find that the less excess room in the shoes whilst still being comfortable the better. Reduces creasing, feels more secure, offers better support, and remains comfortable for longer. My .02 YMMV

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you sized down to a 9 length, you may need an E width. Honestly that picture doesn't necessarily scream size down one more. It's roomy but a 9 may be uncomfortable, especially because it seems you don't have a lot of width to spare.

Last edited:

mattw

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. Hi, everyone
smile.gif

I have a question about shell restoration:

I have my eyes on a color 8 boot in the future. I fear brownout, and prefer the eggplanty color, so I'd use Alden's restoration service in the future. OK, fine.

But, I'd prefer to have Dainite over commando soles in this case, which would require aftermarket work. Which I think means Alden won't touch the shoes then.

Would Alden do refinishing work on the uppers even with modifications to the sole?
If not, how feasible is it to DIY restore shell color, particularly to the deeper purplish Alden color 8 vs stock color 8?

Thanks, guys. I'm enjoying the community here.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Long time lurker, first time poster. Hi, everyone :) .

I have a question about shell restoration:

I have my eyes on a color 8 boot in the future. I fear brownout, and prefer the eggplanty color, so I'd use Alden's restoration service in the future. OK, fine.

But, I'd prefer to have Dainite over commando soles in this case, which would require aftermarket work. Which I think means Alden won't touch the shoes then.

Would Alden do refinishing work on the uppers even with modifications to the sole?
If not, how feasible is it to DIY restore shell color, particularly to the deeper purplish Alden color 8 vs stock color 8?

Thanks, guys. I'm enjoying the community here.
Alden won't refurbish based on current policy. Brown out takes a long time. You can use a pigmented cream in color 8/burgundy to keep up the color for a while. Ultimately you can't 100% control how they will end up in 10, 20, 30 years.

tobiasfunke

Reaction score

I'm also a 10 on the brannock in both length and instep but I am a C width. My foot volume is low and so are my arches. However looking at that picture...you should definitely size down - maybe even a full size. Your metatarsal is well below the widest part of that blucher. Additional that toe space indicates that the sizing is too long for you.

For reference I wear a 9D Barrie and I could probably go down a width or down a half size altogether.

Additionally I prefer a snug fit. I find that the less excess room in the shoes whilst still being comfortable the better. Reduces creasing, feels more secure, offers better support, and remains comfortable for longer.

My .02 YMMV

I'm wondering if I now need to try on 9D, 9E, and maybe even an 8.5E.

What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads