• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the input, gentlemen! Debating whether it is worth it to get an Indy boot with the commando sole. Don't know if having two of the same boots but with different soles is worth it though... lol!

Just take the ones you already have to a cobbler and get a new sole put on (or a rubber top piece).

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Boston is about to get hit with some snow this weekend! Good thing I have a pair of these Indy boots :) Morning walk with the dog in these boots! Gentlemen, please provide some feedback in regards to the differences between the Commando vs. Neocork sole. I am a tad bit saddened I could not find this boot with the Commando sole - I've heard that it provides great traction during the winter. If I am simply walking through sidewalks and such, will the Neocork sole be enough to get by the winter? I'm hoping that these boots will be good enough of a winter boot for this season :foo:
I'd agree with the guys here that Neo-cork, while very comfy, is not very useful in ice & snow. It's pretty dangerous actually. While the commando sole is much better, I actually find it to be not sufficient for medium to large snow & ice situations here in NY/NJ. I reach for heavy duty commando soles on my red wings or oak streets when old man winter plays rough.

ATLVol

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, gentlemen! Debating whether it is worth it to get an Indy boot with the commando sole. Don't know if having two of the same boots but with different soles is worth it though... lol!

There are plenty of Indy boot options with commando soles other than brown CXL......kudu, smooth chamois, reverse chamois, brown cow hide, country grain calf, natural CXL.....you should be able to find something similar but slightly different by doing some research and having a little patience finding the right make up.

parkman24

Reaction score
In regards to the Commando Sole, will it create a larger profile with the boot/is it very noticeable?

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In regards to the Commando Sole, will it create a larger profile with the boot/is it very noticeable?

It will slightly, but for the most part Alden's commando sole is very sleek.

But to echo the others, I would only wear a boot with the commando sole if it were light snow/slush. Anything heavier, and I always grab some red wings or bean boots.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Alden's Commando sole is probably one of the lowest profile ones I've seen offered from shoemakers of comparable quality. They will not be noticeable to 90% of the people who see you wearing them. Besides, any lugged sole looks fine on an Indy Boot IMO.

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the current purchase price for TSM seconds (#8 cordovan boots on commando, bookmaker edition)? Thanks in advance.

totalair1

Reaction score

I would recommend the Kudu Indy with the Lug sole, not the commando. It has a much better sole for the big storms. There are a lot of Alden stores that carry it.

Steve

bm93

Reaction score
Do any retailers make a wingtip boot on the plaza last besides Leathersoul and Leffot's Greenwich boot? Even LS and Leffot's are in black/color 8, and I'm looking for a lighter color, perhaps ravello shell or even dark tan calf.

Last edited:

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden's Commando sole is probably one of the lowest profile ones I've seen offered from shoemakers of comparable quality. They will not be noticeable to 90% of the people who see you wearing them. Besides, any lugged sole looks fine on an Indy Boot IMO.

I think that's the real point. Don't worry about the profile if you're talking about an Indy boot. A big rubber sole looks fine.

at the same time it's not going to look huge. I happen to be wearing my Ultimate Indy's with Commando. here you go. (these get very little love, shoe trees sometimes, sometimes polishing, wear in any weather etc)

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Toppy your neocork one - I have a pair that has a toppy and it works great

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
J Gilbert has a #8 on plaza. Yenni and Brick and Morter has a few on plaza but not shell that I'm aware of. A navy cxl for sure and maybe some calf makeups. If your looking for plaza makeups. Yenni is who to go to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads