• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Very exquisite @mdubs !

Thanks @gatszi! Appreciate it! I forgot to turn off my camera when I synced the photos from Monday and so I ended up stuck with a dead battery and had to resort to my iPhone... :-O

What a coincidence! I happen to be wearing these today. And congrats on the Cooney, they're a lovely makeup.

Anything is a great coincidence when Ravello NSTs are involved....

Whiskey Wednesday. Only I didn't get the golden ticket for these in whiskey.

shog[1].gif

Color 8 in different lighting.

Those Color 8 Tanks are looking great, I enjoy your creative use of laces... :)

I just received a pair of Dover PTB 2nds from Shoe Mart, unlined in brown CXL. They certainly look good enough to keep, but they are a shade tighter than I expected. I always marvel at the knowledge people have here, so I'd appreciate any thoughts on whether:

1) it is common for the unlined PTB to run tight? or 2) whether I can expect the unlined/CXL to give more than most shoes and allow some more room as they break in?

They're not uncomfortable, but as you can see in the picture--the eyelets are pretty far apart. Too far?

FYI, I am 11.5 D in Leydon (suede PTB and chukka) and 11 C in Indy, and went with 11 D on these CXL PTBs. These are my first try w/ Barrie.

Frankly, since they are CXL, they will stretch a lot. You are better off being tighter now than anything else after only a few wearings they should feel good. You should enjoy those!

Color 8 PCT

Those Navals are looking great bud! :)

nephew
good looking combo, excellent shine on cigar nst loafer

Thanks Uncle Mac! Appreciate the comments.

23r4mts.jpg

rjnt03.jpg

whiskey gunboats

Mac, those Gunboats are looking exquisite and have a stellar shine on them. Your pairing is impeccable!

Just received a pair of 2160 seconds. They look really good overall. I believe what makes them seconds is the heel area is creased on both shoes, almost looks like someone with a wide heel tried them on without using a shoe horn. The creasing itself doesn't bother me so much and I believe a good trade off for $200+ savings. However the right shoe heel, on one side, the area is creased more significantly. I'm curious to get your opinions about whether I should keep or not. I realize this is a subjective question but would still love to get some opinions. Here are some pics:

That last photo is the one that concerns me. All opinions appreciated.

Wow, those are a beautiful model and nothing concerned me until I saw the last photo, that is pretty tough, they are otherwise exquisite and that is on the throat of the shoe where I tend to be much more tolerant. I could give you all the advice in the world, but it comes down to where you heart is set. What does your gut tell you?

Hello gents,

What is this mysterious substance creeping out of the toe of my Indy boot? It looks like plastic.

Yes, the uppers are wrapped in thin plastic at some point in the manufacturing process.

None of my pairs have had, but I imagine I couldn't resist the urge to pull it out.

As Tif said, that is the plastic bag putting over the uppers to protect the upper during the lasting process. I have a number of shoes that have that... It is particularly prevalent with the split reverse welt. As others said, if you care, you can pull it out daintily with pliers or you could just ignore it (which is what I do)... :)

Whiskey PTB

Looking great Zippy! Those Whiskey PTBs are stellar! :) Those Green Pants are pretty rad, especially with the whales on them... :)

Thanks. They don't look like they had a heel stamp after looking really closely, but they look just like the ones mentioned earlier. I am looking to sell online since they are a little small fo me, so I want to make sure that I list them properly. I appreciate the help

The only way to know 100% for sure is to contact Alden. I knew about the Ben Silver Tassels that they have made like that in the past, but they are not showing them on their page, so I had no definitive reference to point you to.

-Mike

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only way to know 100% for sure is to contact Alden. I knew about the Ben Silver Tassels that they have made like that in the past, but they are not showing them on their page, so I had no definitive reference to point you to.

-Mike

Thanks Mike. It is quite an agonizing decision. I do wear my pants a bit shorter and narrower than traditional, so this defect will be visible. On the other hand, with shell, when the creases are considered 'character" can we call this scrunched up heel "character"?

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LL

On second (actually ninth or tenth) thought, it's hard to justify spending almost $500 on shoes that look like that, even if they are Alden and even if they are Horween shell. Does Shoemart ever recognize that a pair they designated as seconds are actually more like thirds and then offer a further discount if I keep them?

trig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LL
On second (actually ninth or tenth) thought, it's hard to justify spending almost $500 on shoes that look like that, even if they are Alden and even if they are Horween shell. Does Shoemart ever recognize that a pair they designated as seconds are actually more like thirds and then offer a further discount if I keep them?
just return em. you're clearly going to always be bothered by it.

trig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not so sure.  I think I could deal with it if I spent a bit less.  Perhaps 350 or something.

but you didn't and shoemart isn't going to give you a partial refund.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LL
I would send them back.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LL

The seconds price isnt as compelling a deal as it used to be, but it is invaluable for finding a rare model that you would otherwise be unable to find elsewhere no matter the price that said I have bought many pairs where I was unable to find the defect so it can be great. I think your first through 18th instinct is right, $500 for something you arent satisfied with would be better served spending the additional cash and getting a first quality product. Or if you are patient look on eBay, B&S and Grailed there are some very good deals across the board on first quality stuff from people selling excessive purchases, myself included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members