• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What he hell was moleskin?
I had a couple of moleskin trousers in the 90s.
I guess it was a synthetic velvet- suede, unless they were actually made from moles....
Be a good one for the passport. Occupation- Mole Farmer
1f61c.png
It should be stated that moleskin is and always was 100% cotton.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stone is like khaki with less yellow.

The problem with colour description is what one manufacturer ( or person ) descibes as Stone another might call Beige, and its the same with most colours.
Khaki is a good one as I have seen that on items from what I would call Sand through to almost Olive green.
Variation in sizes and colours probably increase profits for firms delivering parcels though.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stone is a funny one, sometimes used to mean the light grey sta-prest colour and other times the pale beige chino colour. I think a very white beige is as good as it gets, off-white with a grey tinge really.

On harringtons, put me down as a Grenfell slim going forward

Last edited:

Paint House Gang

Reaction score
Harringtons:
Red Baracuta G9 (these used to be only £30 NWT on eBay)
Stone G9 ($10 at the Salvation Army: no maker on it, but identical to Baracuta and has the same Made in England tag)
Olive Jump the Gun Raglan Sleeve Harrington

Even though I prefer the Fraser tartan lining and nicer material on the G9s, the Jump the Gun one gets more wear as it is a better fit and I don't have to be as precious with it. I used to have a Chocolate Brown G9 that I got for £30 from some lady at the factory shop selling on the Mod Culture board, but sold it because I didn't like the colour. I also had a black Merc one, which had a very good fit and was a very heavy 100% cotton, but the colour and fit gave it more of a "Ruts fan" kind of vibe (a good look, but not the one I wanted).

Would like one in British racing green but the only options are either too cheap (Combat) or too expensive (Baracuta).

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harringtons:
Red Baracuta G9 (these used to be only £30 NWT on eBay)
Stone G9 ($10 at the Salvation Army: no maker on it, but identical to Baracuta and has the same Made in England tag)
Olive Jump the Gun Raglan Sleeve Harrington

Even though I prefer the Fraser tartan lining and nicer material on the G9s, the Jump the Gun one gets more wear as it is a better fit and I don't have to be as precious with it. I used to have a Chocolate Brown G9 that I got for £30 from some lady at the factory shop selling on the Mod Culture board, but sold it because I didn't like the colour. I also had a black Merc one, which had a very good fit and was a very heavy 100% cotton, but the colour and fit gave it more of a "Ruts fan" kind of vibe (a good look, but not the one I wanted).

Would like one in British racing green but the only options are either too cheap (Combat) or too expensive (Baracuta).
Orvis do a Green one,might not be your choice,but the price is in between Combat and Baracuta.

Paint House Gang

Reaction score
^ the Orvis one would be perfect if not for the weird non-standard collar detail

In the spirit of the moving on from skinhead orthodoxy, I also have one of these (a nylon Drizzer type thing from Golden Bear X Unionmade):

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

^ the Orvis one would be perfect if not for the weird non-standard collar detail

In the spirit of the moving on from skinhead orthodoxy, I also have one of these (a nylon Drizzer type thing from Golden Bear X Unionmade):

If i had to buy a new harrington, i would buy a Golden Bear/Unionmade with tartan lining.

Ok PHG, which one is your favorite, you have to decide.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The collar on the Orvis looks ok to me,by non standard do you mean it isnt like a Baracuta ? the only thing that I would change would be to get rid of the locker loop.

benj84

Reaction score

So what is your favorite/most worn harrington ?

Results so far :

Covskin : Ben Nevis

Jimmy Balantyne : (Baracuta) G9

Man-of-Mystery : G9

Kingstonian : knock-offs, in the future Ben Nevis

Cerneabbas : Code D

Botolph : G9

Thin White Duke : Fred Perry

The Inspector : G9

Will be edited and re-posted if other replies.

So if i see someone in the street with a Baracuta G9, Levi's 501, and Loake or Allen Edmonds Longwings, it is most probably a poster from this thread !
g9 slim for me!

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Favourite Harrington: Red Baracuta I suppose

Regarding the Orvis Harrington, if you look on the left side, the flap does not protrude like it is does on other Harringtons:

I just looked at mine,on 4 makes its like the picture and only the Baracuta and the Aquascutum have the flap on the left side...
To me its not an issue as long as you arent into re-enactment .

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
So what is your favorite/most worn harrington ?

Results so far :

Covskin : Ben Nevis, soon Grenfell

Jimmy Balantyne : (Baracuta) G9

Man-of-Mystery : G9

Kingstonian : knock-offs, in the future Ben Nevis

Cerneabbas : Code D

Botolph : G9 (slim)

Thin White Duke : Fred Perry

The Inspector : G9 (slim)

Paint House Gang : G9

Benj84 : G9 (slim)

Will be edited and re-posted if other replies.

So if i see someone in the street with a Baracuta G9, Levi's 501, and Loake or Allen Edmonds Longwings, it is most probably a poster from this thread !

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads