• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like my vintage navy Lacoste Harrington. Looks like this:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone else is thinking that the Harrington has had its day ? gives off the wrong sort of message ? isnt the 'image' that you want any more ?.

So the question is 'the Look goes on' which casual jacket do you think fits in best with how you want to look now ?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

Navy 'The Fox' from JC Penney Powder blue lightweight perma-prest from Sears POW check Duffer from Debenhams Duffer one probably the best constructed and heaviest. Penneys one most trad looking
Which one is your favorite mate ?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
So what is your favorite/most worn harrington ?

Results so far :

Covskin : Ben Nevis, soon Grenfell

Jimmy Balantyne : (Baracuta) G9

Man-of-Mystery : G9

Kingstonian : knock-offs, in the future Ben Nevis

Cerneabbas : Code D

Botolph : G9 (slim)

Thin White Duke : Fred Perry

The Inspector : G9 (slim)

Paint House Gang : G9

Benj84 : G9 (slim)

Inks : 'The Fox' from JC Penney

Cocostella : Lacoste

Donkey Jacket : Jump The Gun

Will be edited and re-posted if other replies.

So if i see someone in the street with a Baracuta G9, Levi's 501, and Loake or Allen Edmonds Longwings, it is most probably a poster from this thread !

Last edited:

Donkey Jacket

Reaction score
Jump the gun harringtons have all the right details to me, prefer denims tho these days.

worst- the cheaper brands (warrior-relco) any harrington without raglan sleeves imo.

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wonder if anyone else is thinking that the Harrington has had its day ? gives off the wrong sort of message ? isnt the 'image' that you want any more ?.

So the question is 'the Look goes on' which casual jacket do you think fits in best with how you want to look now ?

Year-round, I like a (usually navy) mid-thigh length mac these days. I have that navy Cordings "Salford Storm Coat" for colder days. Made of Loro Piana wool but cut like a mac; it's warm but light-weight and waterproof. I have a navy cotton Sunspel one made by MackIntosh that's better for summer, and a really lightweight Stone Island one in dark navy, which'd be the most likely of the three to be worn to a gig.
Otherwise a harrington is a go-to for me. The one I have the least desire to wear is my green MA-1. I love it but would wear a Harrington or a mac, or a crombie before it. That isn't because I'm some "Spirit of '69 revivalist" who shuns a flight jacket, but because it can sometimes look a little goofy on a middle aged man.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score

I don't think its had its day, its been good a cool item for about half a century. In regard to the message, unless you're sporting it with a pair of steels and swastika armband, not at all. Like everything else, it's all dependent on how you wear it.

Best casual jacket? Depends on how I feel on a given day. To quote the great man himself

"I happen to dress based on mood. ... that reflect the many moods, the many shades, the many sides of George Costanza."

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Year-round, I like a (usually navy) mid-thigh length mac these days. I have that navy Cordings "Salford Storm Coat" for colder days. Made of Loro Piana wool but cut like a mac; it's warm but light-weight and waterproof. I have a navy cotton Sunspel one made by MackIntosh that's better for summer, and a really lightweight Stone Island one in dark navy, which'd be the most likely of the three to be worn to a gig.
Otherwise a harrington is a go-to for me. The one I have the least desire to wear is my green MA-1. I love it but would wear a Harrington or a mac, or a crombie before it. That isn't because I'm some "Spirit of '69 revivalist" who shuns a flight jacket, but because it can sometimes look a little goofy on a middle aged man.

I have been wondering about something longer than 'bomber' / 'harrington' length.
Although up until now I have been wearing a Harrington and even looking for a new one, reading these last few pages has been a bit of a 'road to Damascus' type moment for me,time to move things on maybe...
The raincoat looks great but Stone Island would be a big no go for me,to much Police attention and negative stereotyping...i was at a game on Saturday and reading various forums afterwards many comments like 'so much Stone Island going into the Bristol end'...'there fans were up for it there was loads wearing Stone Island'...
Thats here though and as we have said before that negativity about an item isnt always world wide.
I agree about Ma1 jackets,I loved them early 80s but Steve McQueen was 49 or 50 when he wore one in 'The Hunter' he pulled the look off but I am not Steve Mcqueen or 50 and its not 1980 !

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have been wondering about something longer than 'bomber' / 'harrington' length.
Although up until now I have been wearing a Harrington and even looking for a new one, reading these last few pages has been a bit of a 'road to Damascus' type moment for me,time to move things on maybe...
The raincoat looks great but Stone Island would be a big no go for me,to much Police attention and negative stereotyping...i was at a game on Saturday and reading various forums afterwards many comments like 'so much Stone Island going into the Bristol end'...'there fans were up for it there was loads wearing Stone Island'...
Thats here though and as we have said before that negativity about an item isnt always world wide.
I agree about Ma1 jackets,I loved them early 80s but Steve McQueen was 49 or 50 when he wore one in 'The Hunter' he pulled the look off but I am not Steve Mcqueen or 50 and its not 1980 !

Stone Island is so under the radar here that it's barely a blip. Ex-skinheads, neo/pseudo Yank casuals/ultras, and fashionistas know what it is and that's about it. I've offloaded most Stoney gear and would never wear it in Britain due to its "stigma". A football hooligan I am not.

The MA-1, to allude to your and Mr Ballantyne's post, is all about what you wear it with. I'd be comfortable wearing it with Quoddy bluchers, Adidas Tobacco or Riviera, faded jeans, and a navy polo, but not DM's or Solovairs.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good question. A tailored jacket has more gravitas and can look better on older blokes.

Also Harringtons can be a bit commonplace now, certainly no oneupmanship associated with the various inexpensive brands.

Not sure what zipper style jackets are an alternative. The Ivy people got too clever by half with baracuta G4 and mcgregor drizzler jackets.

If it has a straight bottom, rather than blouson style, it will make you look even older. Full pensioner mode.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stone Island is so under the radar here that it's barely a blip. Ex-skinheads, neo/pseudo Yank casuals/ultras, and fashionistas know what it is and that's about it. I've offloaded most Stoney gear and would never wear it in Britain due to its "stigma". A football hooligan I am not.

The MA-1, to allude to your and Mr Ballantyne's post, is all about what you wear it with. I'd be comfortable wearing it with Quoddy bluchers, Adidas Tobacco or Riviera, faded jeans, and a navy polo, but not DM's or Solovairs.
That was the idea of Casual..to go under the Police and general publics radar,they were looking for DM wearing Skinhead type hoolies, Casuals werent on their list, now you would get away with murder dressed in club colours,but Stone Island,Lyle and Scott etc etc put you in the spotlight.

I remember wearing a Sage Ma1,Adidas Tobacco,faded Lee jeans,burgundy sweatshirt...this was about 1980 or 81 (ish).

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question. A tailored jacket has more gravitas and can look better on older blokes.

Also Harringtons can be a bit commonplace now, certainly no oneupmanship associated with the various inexpensive brands.

Not sure what zipper style jackets are an alternative. The Ivy people got too clever by half with baracuta G4 and mcgregor drizzler jackets.

If it has a straight bottom, rather than blouson style, it will make you look even older. Full pensioner mode.

Yes I totally agree,but that leaves very little in a blouson that doesnt have 'connotations' or just looks to casual .
Maybe a three quarter length jacket would be better?
You are right some kind of tailored jacket is probably more age appropriate.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brews&Breitlings