• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

Racing Green

Reaction score

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have any reviews or opinions of N1 Deck Jackets? Am I correct in thinking the usual good suspects to look into would be Buzz Rickson, Real McCoys? Any I am missing, even value propositions?
Dehen 1920 here in Portland makes a killer N1. I don’t have one but visited the factory store and found myself lusting. And I don’t even like N1s haha

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been humoring the European-Ivy side of my sartorial tastes lately, which means I’ve continued raiding Frans Boone.

Only a repro fit loosely defined, but you are my people so I’ll post here.

E0763A19-7655-4BE0-805A-40F1CE10D82E.jpeg
7D795ED5-BEE0-41F7-902D-2951CC1C9140.jpeg
727D88D8-539E-4BB9-8C65-B9B8446D16B0.jpeg
7DE3A6BA-8112-48E3-AA30-5BF99DF02E9C.jpeg
69FB9843-228E-483E-BE82-960DA14C568E.jpeg
AAA3E598-7778-43CF-9B88-DA502FF828D9.jpeg

Glasses: JMM
Vest: Post O’Alls deadstock from ~2014
Shirt: Gitman x Frans Boone, made of deadstock Japanese fabric, supposedly
Belt: Farnese
Pants: Rota x Frans Boone “McQueen” cords, made of a medium-to-heavy bedford cord fabric
Socks: Merz B Schwanen
Shoes: Alden Barrie chukkas, debatably 1/2 size too small from some shop in LA that cleared out their Alden inventory last year

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been humoring the European-Ivy side of my sartorial tastes lately, which means I’ve continued raiding Frans Boone.

View attachment 1701785 View attachment 1701786 View attachment 1701787 View attachment 1701788 View attachment 1701789 View attachment 1701791

Pants: Rota x Frans Boone “McQueen” cords, made of a medium-to-heavy bedford cord fabric
Shoes: Alden Barrie chukkas, debatably 1/2 size too small from some shop in LA that cleared out their Alden inventory last year

So, no more shopping stop then?

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@whorishconsumer How did you size the Rota? I've been so curious to try them from NMWA, but some of the rise measurements make me second guess myself. They always have killer fabrics though. The Gitman check is nice too!

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, no more shopping stop then?

That died a grisly death awhile back.

@whorishconsumer How did you size the Rota? I've been so curious to try them from NMWA, but some of the rise measurements make me second guess myself. They always have killer fabrics though. The Gitman check is nice too!

Based on my experience thus far, Rota sizing is different between NMWA and Frans Boone or Rota's webstore, at least as far as leg width goes. Their "regular fit" as sold on their webstore and at FB has a 19.5cm hem on a 54 vs. > 22 cm at NMWA.

That said, I think they run snug and low-cut in the top block across vendors. Their regular-fit "medium rise" is 10.6" front and 16.5" back for a size 54. Their "high rise" is only 2 cm greater in both measurements. This includes the waistband, which is 3.5 cm, from Andrea Rota.

The McQueen cords are slimmer than above, as they were a special makeup. I took a 55 , which is still coming up with an 18.5 cm hem. In truth, they're slimmer than I prefer these days bu they are comfortable – they have kind of a terry backside to them.

I have a pair of Rota slacks I picked up from NMWA last year, but they are much too small for me now, even after having had them let out. (In fact, if anyone's around a 51-52 and wants them for a fair price, hit me up. They're a silk-linen blend).

I have a pair of high-rise check trousers direct from Rota that should be here today or tomorrow, I can follow-up regarding fit.

Last edited:

jmiller123

Reaction score

View attachment 1701785 View attachment 1701786 View attachment 1701787 View attachment 1701788 View attachment 1701789 View attachment 1701791

Looks great man. I'm liking the vest- been getting into them recently.

thumbnail_IMG_7261.jpg

This has been my day to day outfit iteration recently. Loving the Mccoys M65. So easy to throw on top of basically anything.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That died a grisly death awhile back.

Based on my experience thus far, Rota sizing is different between NMWA and Frans Boone or Rota's webstore, at least as far as leg width goes. Their "regular fit" as sold on their webstore and at FB has a 19.5cm hem on a 54 vs. > 22 cm at NMWA.

That said, I think they run snug and low-cut in the top block across vendors. Their regular-fit "medium rise" is 10.6" front and 16.5" back for a size 54. Their "high rise" is only 2 cm greater in both measurements. This includes the waistband, which is 3.5 cm, from Andrea Rota.

The McQueen cords are slimmer than above, as they were a special makeup. I took a 55 , which is still coming up with an 18.5 cm hem. In truth, they're slimmer than I prefer these days bu they are comfortable – they have kind of a terry backside to them.

I have a pair of Rota slacks I picked up from NMWA last year, but they are much too small for me now, even after having had them let out. (In fact, if anyone's around a 51-52 and wants them for a fair price, hit me up. They're a silk-linen blend).

I have a pair of high-rise check trousers direct from Rota that should be here today or tomorrow, I can follow-up regarding fit.
Ouch.. yeah, probably not for me I suppose then. Anything less then 12" in the front rise is no good. Most of my trousers are closer to 13" and I don't see going down from that haha. Still curious to hear about the 'high-rise' when you get them though.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great man. I'm liking the vest- been getting into them recently.

View attachment 1701885

This has been my day to day outfit iteration recently. Loving the Mccoys M65. So easy to throw on top of basically anything.

Top tip: wash the M65 a few times in cold water (don't tumble dry!) It gets a very nice "patina" really fast when washed. Looks great.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Top tip: wash the M65 a few times in cold water (don't tumble dry!) It gets a very nice "patina" really fast when washed. Looks great.

Alternatively, stand outside in the rain until soaked. Several times. You may or may not find use in an acoustic guitar.

Ouch.. yeah, probably not for me I suppose then. Anything less then 12" in the front rise is no good. Most of my trousers are closer to 13" and I don't see going down from that haha. Still curious to hear about the 'high-rise' when you get them though.

Word. I've been really happy since higher rise became more common.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member