• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I appreciate that sentiment, it's pretty obvious what my preferences are.

That being said high quality engineered floors are a face layer (1/4"~) applied over plywood and many of them are unfinished.

Much different than the box-store special.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I appreciate that sentiment, it's pretty obvious what my preferences are.

That being said high quality engineered floors are a face layer (1/4"~) applied over plywood and many of them are unfinished.

Much different than the box-store special.

I guess if you're going for 1/4" how much more expensive could it be to add the extra 1/2" and just get a real 3/4" floor?

Unfinished is nice, but this wood is often significantly lacking in character. It gets that engineered floor look anyway because people usually finish with polyurethane so it looks like box store flooring when complete.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Generally The point of engineered floor is application. It will be more stable over hardwood due to the glued layers. It makes it less expensive but also increases the stability over seasonal changes in humidity.

There are applications were veneer over ply is better than solid wood and the same thing applies here.

I love oil finish solid hardwood floors but I realize that not everyone wants my maintenance schedule.

upthewazzu

Reaction score
Interesting ideas. We're going to take a look at a few more options next week. The picture I posted is our current leader at the moment, but not necessarily a done deal.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Generally The point of engineered floor is application. It will be more stable over hardwood due to the glued layers. It makes it less expensive but also increases the stability over seasonal changes in humidity.

There are applications were veneer over ply is better than solid wood and the same thing applies here.

I've walked on very old wood floors, they seem to be pretty stable to me. Sounds like marketing jargon.

I love oil finish solid hardwood floors but I realize that not everyone wants my maintenance schedule.

Yeah, I can see how that turns people off. But you need to eventually refinish poly as well, just much less often. I guess you sacrifice things for the look you want. I walk into very expensive homes with those nasty engineered poly floors and I just feel sorta sad for the owners.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sigh....dude it's stable in the same way plywood is more stable than solid wood. It's not going to expand and contract as far as solid wood would.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Interesting ideas. We're going to take a look at a few more options next week. The picture I posted is our current leader at the moment, but not necessarily a done deal.

Don't mean to sound like an ass, but make sure you get "SureCore", as I'm sure it's more than a made up technology for marketing brochures. That "rustic look" from that photo looks fake from miles away. I have reclaimed flooring and it looks nothing like that.

Just get a real wood floor finished in oil and forget about what the neighborhood has.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sigh....dude it's stable in the same way plywood is more stable than solid wood. It's not going to expand and contract as far as solid wood would.

I'm well aware, I'm not questioning stability of ply vs wood. But that's why gaps are left at the edges of hardwood floors when they are being laid. You make it sound like it's going to expand and contract 4" or something. It might move a 1/4" total across the entire room. This just isn't a reason to engineer it, save for making a cheaper product for contractor grade spec homes. I'm sure there may be a few instances of where it makes sense, but this product is now everywhere.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not making it 'seem' like anything. There are situations where it is a better choice (over concrete) and situations where other choices are better.

I'm not presenting this as the only viable solution, just one to consider.

Quality is a separate debate, just because you associate something with something does not mean higher quality versions of it are also contractor grade crap.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm not making it 'seem' like anything. There are situations where it is a better choice (over concrete) and situations where other choices are better.

I'm not presenting this as the only viable solution, just one to consider.

Quality is a separate debate, just because you associate something with something does not mean higher quality versions of it are also contractor grade crap.

Fair enough. But my sister converted her carpet to engineered hard wood on a 2nd floor. Why? Contractor said it was more stable with changes in temp and humidity. People are being sold bullshit.

In my own case, my addition is done over a ground floor concrete slab. I have a subfloor and the natural wood is installed over it. Works perfectly.

upthewazzu

Reaction score
Don't mean to sound like an ass, but make sure you get "SureCore", as I'm sure it's more than a made up technology for marketing brochures. That "rustic look" from that photo looks fake from miles away. I have reclaimed flooring and it looks nothing like that.

Just get a real wood floor finished in oil and forget about what the neighborhood has.

My wife and I actually agree on it's "fakeness" but we aren't going to spend upwards of $15k on real or engineered hardwood in a house that we likely aren't going to retire in. Laminate seemed like a good middle of the road choice between carpet and hardwood. Still looking, and thanks for all the opinions.

Last edited:

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't worry SG, idnfl just never has any idea at all ever of what he's talking about.

If he is incapable of differentiating the surface coatings from the construction, that there are pre-finished and unfinished options (which you finish in place same as regular hardwood), or understanding that plywood is more stable than full hardwood even though he has an example where hardwood worked, it's not your fault.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Exactly, just like most construction materials there is a wide range of quality levels and the choice should not be made in a vacuum. Always good to be mindful of the place your renovating.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Don't worry SG, idnfl just never has any idea at all ever of what he's talking about.

If he is incapable of differentiating the surface coatings from the construction, that there are pre-finished and unfinished options (which you finish in place same as regular hardwood), or understanding that plywood is more stable than full hardwood even though he has an example where hardwood worked, it's not your fault.

Enough time must have passed so the tomfoolery about underfloor heat is forgotten. I've differentiated everything you just said, just stop.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Exactly, just like most construction materials there is a wide range of quality levels and the choice should not be made in a vacuum. Always good to be mindful of the place your renovating.

And I'm just saying that there are materials and options to use real wood in almost all circumstances.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics