• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The highest art form: what is it?

Lamo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rome
Stripped of all its hyperbole, mysticism, and otherwise affections, religion, hints at something much more innate. I much prefer it that art can’t be helped.

Ingmar bergman would disagree. Religion and art have always been intrinsically linked. Spirituality, as an abstract form of thinking, has always provided inspiration for artists throughout history. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be case anymore as modern religions have taken a turn for the worse.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Klaus Kinski said acting was like being a whore.
i agree with klaus kinski, though some actors have been famous for doing things their way and not allowing themselves to be directed. brando was one of them. he was making a movie once with a director who had done some of the muppet movies, and when the director complained to brando that he was delivering the lines as wriiten, brando said to him, 'i'm not one of your muppets with your hand up ******!' or something to that effect.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
Kant said, "Mime is the art form that speaks to my soul and yet I am having trouble hearing what its saying." One of his pupils spoke out and said, "hes not saying a damn thing", and was immediately removed from the great mans presence.
Kant's conception of art was rather a Platonic method, with usefullness an automatic deduction from the pantheon of art.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lamo
Ingmar bergman would disagree. Religion and art have always been intrinsically linked. Spirituality, as an abstract form of thinking, has always provided inspiration for artists throughout history. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be case anymore as modern religions have taken a turn for the worse.
The predominant arts inspired by religions seem (to me) to be more so trying to attain or recreate the imagery or ornate-ness of their benefactor in a glorified rendition of understood history/reality. I have yet to see a rendition of Jesus where he is more so depicted as an abstract light illuminating the path to god than as an incarnation of suffering or simplistically holy. Then again for conceptually spiritual art I prefer Buddhist and Shinto. I was not trying to divorce religion/spirituality from art, merely saying that at its most simple core it is in fact art. It is that abstract that art alludes to. If I could try crassly to put it into words, it is that connection that exists only in the ethereal.

Lamo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rome
If I could try crassly to put it into words, it is that connection that exists only in the ethereal.

ah, i'm afraid i didn't read the thread thoroughly. my mistake.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My vote goes to music.

When I moved in to my new apartment, the first thing i did was hook-up my stereo, toe-in my speakers, adjust the amp for the new space and plop myself down on the couch to listen to Rach 3 at a loud volume.

No other form of art has the same ability to transform my mood. A painting or sculpture might be beautiful, but they don't make me feel anything; they're just nice to look at.

Eiy-Kyu

Reaction score
Typography, because none of the other art forms mentioned here would exist without the written word.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eiy-Kyu
Typography, because none of the other art forms mentioned here would exist without the written word.
What about the cave paintings in France?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
trolling on SF is turning into a high art.

The trolls here take time to invent little worlds around themselves, introduce a cast of characters, engage the members, occassionally amuse, and eventually get annoying, get banned and resurface with new names, new characters (ah Hector, we hardly knew ye) and we go round again.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
trolling on SF is turning into a high art.

The trolls here take time to invent little worlds around themselves, introduce a cast of characters, engage the members, occassionally amuse, and eventually get annoying, get banned and resurface with new names, new characters (ah Hector, we hardly knew ye) and we go round again.

My favorite is that beach boys guy. There are some people who are still taking him seriously.

chrysalid

Reaction score
I believe that for a piece of cinema to be regarded as art, it has to be the product of an auteur, the director has to have had an influence in every part of the film, from screenplay through soundtrack to final editing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads