• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Cascadia Boot Thread

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thread dedicated exclusively to the iconic bootmakers of the Pacific Northwest.

In alphabetic order: Danner, Dayton, Drew's, Nick's, Viberg, WESCO, and of course White's. (Am I missing any??)

What are your favorite of the lot, and why? Who makes the better boot? Best overall value? Construction differences. Etc. Etc.

Let the games begin :slayer: (or maybe two posts deep this b*tch will die- haha!)

4characters

Reaction score
White’s:
0.jpg

Wesco:
0.jpg

Viberg: [VIDEO][/VIDEO] Dayton: [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

cathpah

Reaction score
Really looking forward to this thread taking shape, and thanks for starting it b-ewing.

As of now I only have White's and Nick's out of the bunch, and have only had my Nick's for a couple weeks, and given it's July...they haven't gotten as much wear. The major difference that I noticed right out of the box was that the arch isn't quite as high on the Nick's, which isn't really a problem, but I do love the idea of the arch collapsing to fit my individual feet (as the White's do).

I'm not a fan of Viberg's slimmer lasts for my style, and I really like the Arch-Ease system of White's, so I have yet to pull the trigger on Vibergs, but if the right pair came along I'd love to see their supposed superior finishing.

I'm utterly ignorant to both Drew's and Wesco, but hopefully this thread will change that.

LouieBailie

Reaction score
gosh b could you post a pic of your 6 pairs of boots oh please......

white SmoKe Jumper Bullhide double Leather sole double blocked heel $230.00 delivered.
Yea I know, paid too much.......................My other 3 pair were cheaper to make up though.

Last edited:

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:) Louie, I only have four pair from this esteemed group: two whites and two wesco. Viberg is just too damn expensive for my taste, but that's the only thing stopping me. My next mto lace ups are gonna be some nicks. Kyle at bakers has been teasing me about some whiskey shell makeups.

I'll post up what I have here in a few.

Last edited:

LouieBailie

Reaction score
smile.gif
Louie, I only have four pair from this esteemed group: two whites and two wesco. Viberg is just too damn expensive for my taste, but that's the only thing stopping me. My next mto lace ups are gonna be some nicks. Kyle at bakers has been teasing me about some whiskey shell makeups.

keep them looking pretty.

cathpah

Reaction score
smile.gif
Louie, I only have four pair from this esteemed group: two whites and two wesco. Viberg is just too damn expensive for my taste, but that's the only thing stopping me. My next mto lace ups are gonna be some nicks. Kyle at bakers has been teasing me about some whiskey shell makeups.

Wait...Nick's will do a pair in Whiskey shell? Holy f.

Happen to have any photos?

andy b.

Reaction score
Cool thread! I never hear much about Drew's. I hope someone has something from Drew's and can post about them.

NNNN

Reaction score

Dayton Parade boots. I got these cheap on eBay. I like them a lot, though they're a tad too large. Also, the leather is not my favorite...kind of hard and dressy, possibly needs a lot more breaking in? Can't say I would recommend Dayton over the other boot makers, considering the current $547 price tag for both the Parade and Service boots, which are the only 2 non-engineer styles they make that aren't 100% fugly. I get the feeling Dayton is a bit scatterbrained these days. I'd be interested if anyone has had any contact with them lately. Still, I am happy with these boots. Maybe someday I'll replace the black lug sole with the Vibram honey variant, or do something with them that isn't so brown.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks b-ewing for getting this thread started. Here are a handful of pics, which no doubt most of you have scene elsewhere, but they are new to this board.

A few comparison pics between Viberg horsehides on the 110 last and White's SDs dress brown. The SDs were just a try on boot that I had briefly. The Vibergs I absolutely loved and wore for a couple of weeks before reluctantly conceding that they were too big on me, and I ended up selling them. Both are clearly great boots, but the Viberg without doubt is a higher quality of construction, aesthetically at any rate:

And here are just the Vibergs. I weep when I look at them...

Here are my current (and future) Bounty Hunters, black CXL. I love 'em. Foot support is much better than the Vibergs. I know the CXL will not be as hardwearing as horsehide or an oil tan leather, but I am counting on them lasting several years at least:

LouieBailie

Reaction score
Ahh those are pretty little engineer boots there B. in my riding days we wore: Wesco min 18" fully leather lined double steel toed, with compartments. They were refefred to as sh kickers and did the job.

they had the new vibram soles for traction:

and provided built in storage for your eating utensiles (knife) and hunting implements (gun). I know very un PC nowdays, but still needed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads