• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Damned United"

Agent GQ

Reaction score
Haven't seen it yet but heard nothing but great reviews from everyone. 'One of best sports movies ever' and all that jazz. Will definitely peep it on the netflix soon.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great great movie.

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
The acting is superb, the script is fantastic, I cannot stop raving about this movie. Michael Sheen is fantastic, one of the most charismatic performances I've ever seen, and the supporting cast is great as well.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
Really enjoyed this. I'm a little young to have lived through the Leeds era, so this was to watch on many levels.

Agent GQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArteEtLabore14
The acting is superb, the script is fantastic, I cannot stop raving about this movie. Michael Sheen is fantastic, one of the most charismatic performances I've ever seen, and the supporting cast is great as well.

Did Sheen play Tony Blair in 'The Queen' or am I confusing him w/ someone else?

Risque

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agent GQ
Did Sheen play Tony Blair in 'The Queen' or am I confusing him w/ someone else?
One and the same.

He also played David Frost in Frost/Nixon.

jesask

Reaction score
I really liked it. I also just saw Frost/Nixon and thought it was a really solid piece of work.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if i ever join netflix this will be one of me first choices. during my formative football/soccer years i was enamored of scottish soccer and truly believed they would win '74 cup! (
eh.gif
). our coach was a scot, the local superstars were the thistle a.c. in kearny, nj., and our first exposure to a traveling european side was a thrashing we recieved from the celtic boys club. being 'across the pond', it was very tough keeping up w/ the game, but an always-tardy subscription to shoot kept me had me following the leeds side led by billy bremner, along w/ a bunch of other scottish intenationals (joe jordan, peter lorimer, david harvey, gordon mcqueen, the gray bros.). i know these may have been revie years rather than clough years
confused.gif
, but as a kid you don't pay attention to managers....

millionaire75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
if i ever join netflix this will be one of me first choices. during my formative football/soccer years i was enamored of scottish soccer and truly believed they would win '74 cup! (
eh.gif
). our coach was a scot, the local superstars were the thistle a.c. in kearny, nj., and our first exposure to a traveling european side was a thrashing we recieved from the celtic boys club. being 'across the pond', it was very tough keeping up w/ the game, but an always-tardy subscription to shoot kept me had me following the leeds side led by billy bremner, along w/ a bunch of other scottish intenationals (joe jordan, peter lorimer, david harvey, gordon mcqueen, the gray bros.). i know these may have been revie years rather than clough years
confused.gif
, but as a kid you don't pay attention to managers....

Roma, didn't know you were from Kearny. Huge soccer town! Harkes and Meola were from there, right?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
Roma, didn't know you were from Kearny. Huge soccer town! Harkes and Meola were from there, right?

yes, and tab ramos. i grew up nearby, but played a lot against the kearny scots (thistle) and kearny irish (shamrock) due to connection our coach had w. the community

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The movie is based on the book. The book is very controversial in that a couple of the key characters sued the author and received hefty compensation out of court. The Clough family, that still live in the area, and in particular Brian's youngest son Nigel who currently is manager of Derby County F.C. are fervently against all things to do with it in that they feel it grossly misrepresents events. There are many inaccuracies in both the movie and the book, that said both offer superb entertainment with a stunning performance from Michael Sheen. Just to add that this era kick started massive on and off pitch rivalry in England. It arguably reached it heights in the early 80's. Here's two clips that illustrate why. The first is Derby v Leeds with a punch up between Franny Lee and Norman Hunter. I was there, aged 10 sat next to my Father by the tunnel. What many don't realise is this fight started again down the tunnel where Franny Lee finally got his revenge on Norman Hunter. The second is a news report on football hooliganism which I feature on at 1.29 minutes. I'm the young kid behind the man with the bloody face. This day really kicked off both inside and out of the ground! Things you do when you're young...

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cleav
The movie is based on the book.

The book is very controversial in that a couple of the key characters sued the author and received hefty compensation out of court. The Clough family, that still live in the area, and in particular Brian's youngest son Nigel who currently is manager of Derby County F.C. are fervently against all things to do with it in that they feel it grossly misrepresents events.

There are many inaccuracies in both the movie and the book, that said both offer superb entertainment with a stunning performance from Michael Sheen.

Just to add that this era kick started massive on and off pitch rivalry in England. It arguably reached it heights in the early 80's. Here's two clips that illustrate why.

The first is Derby v Leeds with a punch up between Franny Lee and Norman Hunter. I was there, aged 10 sat next to my Father by the tunnel. What many don't realise is this fight started again down the tunnel where Franny Lee finally got his revenge on Norman Hunter.

The second is a news report on football hooliganism which I feature on at 1.29 minutes. I'm the young kid behind the man with the bloody face. This day really kicked off both inside and out of the ground!

Things you do when you're young...

Cleav - Nice picture! You could be the next
foo.gif
if you play your cards right. Those Chelsea boys interviewed were a posh-looking bunch. I do remmber Norman Hunter being a nasty bit of work. Franny Lee looking very 'prosperous'
nod[1].gif
- you don't see many footballers w/ that physique these days. Didn't Lee and Hunter have subsequent 'encounters'?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads